handle bar vibration

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

I purchased the convertibars and am awaiting the heated grips from Dualstar ( back ordered) to complete the installation. I've got got some super heavy bar ends from Wildhair Accesories that I plan to use in conjunction with filling the handle bars with buckshot. Has anyone ever tried this? I've been told this is the simplest, cheapest and effective way to mute handle bar vibrations. :nerd:

P.S My Sporty doesn't make my hands numb and it's engine is rigidly mounted.

Daly City, Ca

02 lemans

01 Caferacer Harley Sportster( Clipons,rearsets and adj. suspension)

I did the same thing you are thinking of with my Verlicchi Clip-ons on my LeMans. Before Hands asleep in 20 minutes

After adding buckshot, DualStars, Manic Salamander Bar Ends (14oz. each), and maybe most important gel grips I can ride all day w/o hand fatigue.

Since I like to tour on mine it is very important.

Highly recommended. :mg::bike:

Russ,

BTW, I'm curious, what was your "buckshot technique"? I assume you didn't just leave them loose in there?? :unsure:

I'll be installing my Dual-Stars and Gel grips this week. BTW, I just ordered my Dual-Star elements last week from casporttouring.com (California Sport Touring) and they had them to me in a few days.

al

I didn't know the LeMans were so bad as the early Sport for the vibration.

I packed about 1 ounce ( 28 grams) of 1/4 inch lead ball into each clip on. They are held tightly by the bar weight ( although, aren't the leMans bar weights different?).
Yet, I've heard the theory that if the balls are loose they dampen the vibration better.

After adding CRG barends, Superbike grips and , of course, removing the stalk mirrors the vibration is a non-issue.

I don't know that the LeMans bars(and 2002+ Nakes without tubular bars) are any worse per se... but they do vibrate a bit.

And of course depending on one's sensitivity(I have mild carpal-tunnel, so I am susceptible in about 30 min on any bike) and one's style of riding(say, holding the throttle too tightly)... the mild vibration can get to ya :unsure:

From what I can tell, yes the 2002+ V11 Naked/Sport/LeMans has a different bar weight system than the previous years. The newer bikes have a long rod and end-cap assembly damped with rubber. It's quite heavy, and apparently works well.

...of course now I have the Throttlemeister "Heavy" (14oz.) units installed, so it's probably about as good as it'll get... short of adding the lead shot.

BTW, what type(gauge?) of shot do you use, and where's the best place to get it? .... a sporting goods store?

al

BTW, what type(gauge?) of shot do you use, and where's the best place to get it? .... a sporting goods store?

al

Not sure.

Apparently 00 is fat shot, just small enough to make it out of the barrel of the gun.

9 is very fine shot.

I think the finer the shot, the more fluid the motion.

So, fine shot may be better for higher frequencies like a 14,000 rpm inline four.

Probably 6 or 7 shot is a good starting point.

I'll bet if you suspended it in mercury it would be the bomb (the toxic bomb).

There may be some debate about packing tight or leaving loose.

Tight, each vibration wave has to work move every pellet.

Loose, you can theoretically get a counter vibration going.???

The further out on the bar the weight is, the more effect it should have.

I have noticed that with my stock weights it vibrated less visually or when my hands were lightly on the bars. However if I removed the weights, it vibrated more visually or when my hands were lightly on the bars, but when I leaned forward and put my weight on the bars, it seemed to vibrate less, theoretically because less mass has less momentum against my hands.

Adding rubber mounted Napoleons seemed to dampen the vibration a little as they are kind of heavy and seem to produce a counter vibe.

I arrived at these conclusions unscientifically. So it could all just be in my speculative head. :blink: I may be full of sheese. :cheese:

Russ,

BTW, I'm curious, what was your "buckshot technique"? I assume you didn't just leave them loose in there?? :unsure:

Al,

Yes, I did pack it in there. The Verlicchi bars are hollow and open on both ends. Used a Rubber Stopper on the bottom end and the Bar Ends on the other. Works quite well. :thumbsup:

Guest callithrix

Yes I recieved my convertibars. I've installed the clamps and am trying to locate a source for the shot or bearings. Home depot, Lowe's don't carry them and the local sports gear store only sells them in small containers with large prices. Even the small round fishing weights are 99cents for maybe a pack of 40.

BTW Al how easy is the heated grips installation. I'm a complete with electrical systems and therefor a bit hesistant to knacker and already circumspect electrical system. :luigi:

02 lemans

01 caferacer sportster

Daly City Ca

The installation of any, Hot-Grips or Dual-Star, heated grips is very straight-forward, with the exception perhaps to some degree of the Dual-Stars only because the instructions regarding the final wattage and 3-wire hookup is vague. But there are plenty on online documented installation reviews, so it's not a big deal.

Basically you have two primary vendors:

Hot Grips Heated Grips

Dual-Star Heated Grips

Based on a recent "unscientific" survey on sport-touring.net, it seems that the Dual-Star solution is more popular by a significant margin.

I attribute this to:

1) Price (DS ~$30USD, HG ~$70USD)

2) With the DS solution, you can utilize your favorite grip

I originally bought the Hot-Grips solution using their new "Softer Grip" and it works very well. I used their previously available variable heat controller(which you see installed in the "dash" to the left in photo below). I thought this was a rheostat, but it's actually a PWM(Pulse Width Modulator) like the "Heat Troller" they,most vendors, now recommend if you want a variable heat controller. The unit I bought last year is no longer available. But again since most everyone has standardized on the "Heat Troller" brand, that's actually a good thing since one can reference and emulate other's installation instructions easily.

The Hot-Grips works quite well, as I was reminded yesterday during my brief ride to the gas-station. I had inadvertently knocked the controller knob to "high" and within about 90 seconds, WOW... the grips sure were super-warm.. :wacko:

But one drawback in my opinion with the Hot-Grips is that since they use a dedicated grip with the elements internal to the grip, the outside diameter of the grip is noticeably larger than standard grips. Also, they quite a bit harder than most "gel" grips that I prefer.

So, I'll probably be switching to the Dual-Star grips shortly.

Regarding installation, as I mentioned, it's very straight-forward. I posted several links to some installation tips here:

Heated Grip Thread

Now, to get power to the grips, you have several options. If you just want to keep it simple and use their hi/low/off toggle switch, you could wire the grips directly to the battery. However I wanted to guarantee that by some accident I didn't run the battery down by leaving the grips on while leaving the bike parked for a while. So I simply used a relay and the final unused and available empty fuse holder in the fuse block. I tapped into the hot side of the signal lights feed for this power, and fused it there. You could also use this or other similar power to just power a relay and draw the power from the battery. There are many options.

But the grips only draw about 3-5 amps, so it's not a big deal if you piggyback off of a lightly loaded circuit.

al

Installed_5.jpg

callithrix,

The best place to get shot is at a guns 'n ammo or generic hunting store. I bought 25# shot for like 3 bucks. I'd ship it to you, but postage would be hurtful. If you really can't find any for a reasonable price, let me know and I'll ship some (not 25#- you don't want that).

Could you post some pictures- or give an evaluation of the convertibars when you get them on?

Cheers,

Jason

Guest callithrix

Thanks that's really kind of you. I'll check out a local gun shop, I'm sure I can pick some up. I'll be sure to post an evalution as soon I get everything put together. :pic:

Apparently 00 is fat shot, just small enough to make it out of the barrel of the gun.

9 is very fine shot.

00 buck is 0.34 inch. #9 shot is 0.080 " and would be more like handling grains of sand ( awkward). Tthe 1/4 " ball I used is the equivalent of no. 4 buck (0.24") or #3 buck ( 0.25").

Jason, I couldn't figure out , what is "25#" shot?