tachometer repair

galaxiid

Any advice on repairing or replacing a tachometer off a 2003 Cafe Sport? Or lead me to a thread if this is out there. The tacho on my bike is now dead along with the speedo (multiple cable failure) so I don't have any dials to work out what is going on!

The tachometer is definitely at fault, it has been tested as dead.

Is there any common fault that can be repaired or is it a throw away job?

Thanks in advance

I would certainly try to restore the ground path through the mounting studs first.:luigi:

Forget that. This is just to make the light bulb work (illumination). Has no effect whatsoever on the tach.

Common fault on the white faced tachs seems to be break in one of the coil feed lines, which tend to break from vibration. This is fixable.

I would certainly try to restore the ground path through the mounting studs first.:luigi:

Forget that. This is just to make the light bulb work (illumination). Has no effect whatsoever on the tach.

Common fault on the white faced tachs seems to be break in one of the coil feed lines, which tend to break from vibration. This is fixable.

I do see the diagram shows separate ground paths for the instrument and the illumination. It does look like the instrument itself grounds back through the harness. Certainly, the mounting studs only appear to ground the illumination.

The diagram also shows two separate AMP connectors between the ECU and the tach. Before I replaced the tach, I would track those down for a cleaning and dielectric grease.

It does appear the tach gets its signal from the ECU. From there, I would think the signal comes from the phase sensor.

G2G, how does that fault in the coil feed lines figure in? Where would we look for that?

Previous response sounds more promising. The thread referred to above doesn't solve the problem, it refers only to dismantling the tacho/speedo units and painting the needles. The tacho/speedo unit on the cafe sport is a black (very plastic) "dur" branded MG unit. We dismantled and tested for a signal to the unit and yes there is a signal or current reading from the motor input.

Which suggests the unit itself is stuffed. Not ripping into it until I can get that confirmed because it is all plastic and glued together. Anyway just looks like some circuit board inside it, peeking through a hole. Probably highly un-repairable. And expensive to replace.

I also see a company on internet near me in Atlanta called Joel Levine Company that promises repair of Veglia and others speedos/tachs. Does anyone have any experience with him? If not, I have a science experiment for him (fixing my odometer) if I can get into the garage to pull it off. :luigi: k

G2G, how does that fault in the coil feed lines figure in? Where would we look for that?

Inside the instrument itself. I remember reading on one or two occasions (take "common fault" with great care) that tachs quit service for this reason. However, it seems logical to me that this actually happens quite frequently, as the coil wire is thin,not elastic and the dash is shaken violently, especially if the "third button" (top one) holding it unglued itself. Mine sure did fail that way.

I wrote an article on this some time ago (HowTo section), which I also linked in the recent Veglia thread. Seems it went unnoticed.

Here the direct link:

How to open up your Veglia and close it back again... ...possibly fixing it along the way

Note, don't read unless you are of the "...run where the brave dare not go..." kind! :oldgit:

P.S.

I see we have ITI instruments here. Can't say much about those, apart that the opening/closing method may be applicable for both types. :P