Removing rotors and wheel bearings

callison

I built up a new wheel for my V11 Sport (or Sport 1100i, whatever) today. The first thing I had to do with the Marchesini rim I got off of eBay was to remove the Ducati? wheel bearings. There were no rotors on this rim revealing three semi-slots on the hub on each side. A 1/4" socket drive extension about 10" long is perfect for inserting in the slots sequentially and tapping the bearing out.

I needed to recycle the rotor bolts from the old (bent) wheel as well to mount the (used, got them from a guy in England and pray they aren't warped) rotors. I don't have a torch. I do have a paint stripper gun (a hair dryer on steroids) and placed so that it heats the rotor bolt head, the carrier and the hub immediately under the bolt. It only takes about 90 seconds or so to apply enough heat to soften the LocTite. No sign of paint blistering on the hub either.

Some inventive positioning with wooden blocks enabled me to align the new bearings properly so I could drift them in with a large socket that only impacts on the outer portion of the bearing.

It's rather less fun to change the tire, but I'm getting pretty good at that as well. LOL, but I'm cheap! :grin:

It's rather less fun to change the tire,

I always change tubed tyres - I thought I have to have a tyre shop do tubeless ones on the Scura. How easy is it to get them off/on/sealed w/o beadbraker & stuff?

Thanks KB, Cymru :sun:

Tubeless are way easier than tubed. You need a good bead breaker, a handful of rim protectors, a pair of tire irons, some scraps of wood, a can of spray cleaner (I use 409) and a plentiful supply of swear words. :lol:

A good balance rig is useful too. Mine is good to 1/4 gram.