Carbon Fiber

gstallons

Has anyone here figured out a process to restore the matte finish on their $$$$ carbon fiber parts? I luv them but I don't like what Mr. Sunshine has done to them.

Have a look on Youtube and you'll probably find info on ways to finish, both mat and gloss.

There are certainly videos on making parts from CF; covering parts in CF; and giving those parts both types of finish.

You just have to get them clear coated. I tried using spray can clear and it works nice...for awhile. I think Guzzi didnt want to weigh the c/f parts down with too much clear coat! :grin:

Sounds good to me.... I think I will scrape off some paint so I don't have to lose weight. Is 246 lb. Heavy?????

You just have to get them clear coated. I tried using spray can clear and it works nice...for awhile. I think Guzzi didnt want to weigh the c/f parts down with too much clear coat! :grin:

Sounds good to me.... I think I will scrape off some paint so I don't have to lose weight. Is 246 lb. Heavy?????

Get a painter to shoot some clear over it with matting agent added.Depending on weather etc the matting agent will take the gloss off the clear and give the finish you want and also UV protection as well if he uses the right stuff.

Ciao

Had all the carbon fibre parts on the Scura re sprayed last winter because the sun and elements had taken their toll. Was concerned about the durability of the end result, particularly on the carbon fibre "covers" that go over the exhaust cans on the Scura. Ended up using a product that is apparently used on chimney flues to give a gloss finish. Thus far all parts, including exhaust covers, look as they did ex paint shop.

One problem that the painter encountered though was the presence of silicon embeded in some parts of the fibre strands. This makes adhesion of any kind of coating difficult. Most polishes etc contain silicon, something to be mindful of if you wish to re coat carbon fibre. After much cleaning with solvents and sanding back top coats he was able to get a good result, needless to say he was happy to see the back of me and my carbon fibre...

• 4 weeks later...

Very good tips here...I want to do mine as well, but would never have considered previous wax/polish as being a concern. Cheers! k