Should I buy this V11 Lemans for $4900?

slowlorisglory

Hey All,

This will be my first bike.

Is this a good deal?

From Craigslist:

"This Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans sport touring bike is tan colored with Hepco & Becker luggage rack and hard sidecases. This Italian beauty has a 1100cc V-twin engine that produces an unmistakable Guzzi growl and delivers tons of smooth power via a shaft drive. Stopping power is provided by dual disc fronts and single disc rear brakes. It seats two but has a hard seat cover that goes over the passenger seat for 1-up riding.

The battery was replaced last year, and the bike has 32k miles on it. I'm also throwing in a set of super heavy gauge Brinks cables and u-lock that were used to secure it.

The Le Mans is the same as the V11 Sport Naked but with the addition of a small fairing for more comfortable riding. This bike is similar to a Honda VFR or a BMW K1200GT but with a distinctive cafe racer heritage and less sport bike influence."

H6Ovk.jpg

He wants $4900 for it.

Few questions for the community:

Is it relatively easy to remove the fairing on the Lemans? I'd like to have the bike naked and use the fairing for longer trips. I realize I'll need to add new mirrors, but are there any other considerations I should know about?

Thanks all.

Adam

:D

My gut is telling me to go for it without question. :wub:

I've been reading obsessively about Moto Guzzi online and definitely feel an affinity for the spirit of the company and the style of the bikes. :mg:

The V11 specifically is perfect for me because I'd like a fast bike with an edge but also don't want to kill myself as I have only ridden little

kawasaki80ar1981].jpg

And I don't want to be another dude on a Ducati.

This bike is unique and attractive for all the right reasons. I guess my main concerns are

1. Price

2. Feasibility of taking on this bike as my first real motorcycle. Any and all help greatly appreciated!

>Is it relatively easy to remove the fairing on the Lemans? I'd like to have the bike naked and use the fairing for longer trips. I realize I'll need to add new mirrors, but are there any other considerations I should know about?

well a lot of screws, then you find the headlight looks a bit small and mounted to much forward.

Power is relatively low for capacity & motor is very torquey, so it's fairly easy to use.

It's heavy.

LeMans fairing works well, but if you want unfaired you might consider removing it & replacing with a small handlebar fairing (as others have done) & leaving it at that. You could probably sell the LeMans fairing to fund. For me, removing/replacing the fairing regularly would be a real chore.

Whilst basically sound, Guzzis reward a little more owner involvment than some. Some call it character, others call it a pia.

If it's a good, well cared-for bike (as it looks to be) & you're looking for something that's more than a functional appliance, & don't mind putting in a little time & commitment, then it'd probably be a good buy for you.

KB :sun:

As this looks to be a 2002, keep in mind that you may find the bubbling black paint on the cases. Also, the unmistakable Guzzi growl that is mentioned will probably be more apparent with some aftermarket mufflers, as I personally found the stock mufflers on this bike when I had one to be kind of muted for my taste. I did enjoy my '02 when I had it, and agree with the above comments that it'd be a nice bike for the money.

Oh man . . .

So I had a meeting all set up to look at the Moto Guzzi today.

Last night I emailed the guy and cancelled. Decided the big MG is just too big a bike for a first time rider.

Now, I'm reading responses here, looking at photos online, and having second thoughts . . . Maybe I could pull it off. Maybe I could have a great time on this bike without dropping it or killing myself.

Part of the reason I am reconsidering buying the bike is that I passed the CA state motorcycle written exam today - without even opening the driver's manual! So I guess my basic knowledge of motorcycling is at least decent. (I do plan to go back and read the manual to be safe).

However, does this mean that I will be able to handle a 500+ lb. bike on the hills of San Francisco after a 5 year hiatus from riding an 80cc glorified moped?

My gut says no.

Sigh.

Okay, that settles it. Safety first, right? Aside from safety concerns, I really feel like the size of the bike would largely inhibit my enjoyment of it. At least for the first few months until I got used to it.

Let me ask you all 1 thing, though. When I finally decide to buy my V11 LeMans, how hard will it be to find one at this price, in great shape, in this color?! Hard I'm betting!

In the meantime, I am seriously considering a Ducati Monster, 600 or 750. I know, I know I said I didn't want to be another Dude on a Ducati . . . but it's that or an Asian bike, and I don't want an Asian bike! I know they're great bikes, but I want some style with my flare, you know what I mean?

Feedback? :huh2:

If you are a new rider, get a used jap bike for $1000 or so and then you wont lose anything if you drop it a time or 3. Once you get your riding skills honed then get the bike you really want and ride with confidence. I would suggest a bike of around 600 to 800cc engine thats not a racebike, other than that just make sure its mechanically sound.

Oh man . .etc ....

It may be that you might find something lighter & nimbler easier to handle as a first big bike. But you don't need to spend a lot of money & get your ideal bike straight off - like richard100t says - a cheapish Japanese bike might be a good first step. A suzuki SV650 (not sure what they called in US) is a good, fun, usable bike - like the Guzzi & the Ducati it's a twin cylinder - twins tend to have more easily usable power characteristics & require less gear changes than a four cylinder. Or a Kawasaki ER5 or later Versys ? There's loads of choice. Use it for a while, & move onto something else - a V11 might be fine for you right now, but don't be panicked into getting something unsuitable cos you think it won't be available in future - there's loads of good bikes out there!

There's the smaller Guzzis - 750 Breva, or classic, but I guess they will be expensive?

A low centre of gravity, a lowish seating position so you can get both feet on the floor, conventional handlebars help in managing a bike esp in traffic & at slower speeds.

Good luck!

KB :sun:

Suzuki SV650 - Guzzi V7 Classic - Guzzi Breva 750 - Kawa ER5

I would not buy that Guzzi as a first bike. Not saying it can't be done but that is not what I would do. The chances of it being dropped and the damage it could do (both to you and the bike) would rule it out for me.

I would buy a cheap 650cc or smaller beater bike to ride for a year or so before buying something like that. You could buy an old Guzzi but I would get something as new as possible for mechanical reliability reasons. I would buy a 250cc - 650cc twin to get your two wheel legs on. Something that if you drop it you can pick it back up and keep going. Then when you are comfortable with that buy a big Guzzi. Just my opinion.

Just wanted to add that it's truly an honor to have so many dedicated and accomplished riders giving me advice. The internet truly is a wonder.

As is THIS :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

v12_11.jpg

what parts of what models is this red beauty?

Anyone know?