Need Fuel Filter Replacement

mason

Does anyone have part numbers for recommended fuel filter alternative for 2002 Lemans?

thanks

GU30106000

I think they're the same for all years but I'm sure someone will confirm or deny .

Michael

Thanks, but looking for an alternative, ie, one I can get from advanced auto pats for 10$....There was some postings on here but for an Vll sport.....thanks

I have used Fram G4777 and Purolator F43178 with equal success. I do not know if there is a diff between Sport and Lemans for this particular part...I'd suspect them to be the same. k

I have used Fram G4777 and Purolator F43178 with equal success. I do not know if there is a diff between Sport and Lemans for this particular part...I'd suspect them to be the same. k

Its a good question to ask. The later models have the fuel pump in the tank right? I know you can get a replacement filter for an early model v11 at pretty much any auto parts store as it is also used for some cars.

Hi

you can use almost any filter frfom a injection engine. This is avery simple injection setup and so long as the filter is 10 micron or better and you can connect it to the fuel tubing from the pump you won't have nay problems. Just make sure that you buy one with the raised ring on each connection, that way you can be sure that the pipes won't blow off somewhere awkward. Bear in mind there's 50 psi of pressure on those connections. Why Guzzi use hose clips to secure the pipes to the filter is beyond me when good proprietary clip on connections eg John Guest are available for pennies. If you can't get one with raised lips on the connections just squash the ends slightly to splay them. Mine was off a Vauxhall Astra which I just had lying around in the garage, it's been good for 30k and frankly if my car was typical even at 60k there was no discernable difference between the flow through a new one and the old one.

Economically yours

Guzz

Hi

you can use almost any filter frfom a injection engine. This is avery simple injection setup and so long as the filter is 10 micron or better and you can connect it to the fuel tubing from the pump you won't have nay problems. Just make sure that you buy one with the raised ring on each connection, that way you can be sure that the pipes won't blow off somewhere awkward. Bear in mind there's 50 psi of pressure on those connections. Why Guzzi use hose clips to secure the pipes to the filter is beyond me when good proprietary clip on connections eg John Guest are available for pennies. If you can't get one with raised lips on the connections just squash the ends slightly to splay them. Mine was off a Vauxhall Astra which I just had lying around in the garage, it's been good for 30k and frankly if my car was typical even at 60k there was no discernable difference between the flow through a new one and the old one.

Economically yours

Guzz

I found the Vauxhall Astra filter works a treat,its slightly smaller in diameter so I used a peice of inner tube to pack it a little so the clamp was secure,otherwise it works fine and cost me about £6. Big advantage is you will get one at any motor factors or Halfords.

Its a good question to ask. The later models have the fuel pump in the tank right? I know you can get a replacement filter for an early model v11 at pretty much any auto parts store as it is also used for some cars.

Ok, you've got me on that one...didn't know of an in-tank fuel pump on later models. Mine is definitely external-sorry if I confused things. k

On my 2000 Sport, the filter is clamped above the frame under the gas tank. For years, I've used a replacement for the Isuzu Trooper (any year). For a while, the WIX were welded units made in Isreal, but lately even the Made in USA filters are crimped. No problem with them, but I really liked those Isreali welded jobs! It's a little shorter than the $50+ Weber and might require little longer fuel line for the input.

WIX 33310

Thanks all, I went to Advanced Auto Parts and picked up the Purolator filter number mentioned earlier f43178.... It was a good fit, although about half as long. The problem I have been having, where the motor shuts down during hard acceleration, like what happens when hitting the rev limiter, has mostly been eliminated. It seems better anyway, but I am still having the problem intermit. At least now I know it is not the fuel filter....

"The problem I have been having, where the motor shuts down during hard acceleration, like what happens when hitting the rev limiter, has mostly been eliminated. It seems better anyway, but I am still having the problem intermit."

Mason, do you have an open top filter arrangement? If so, consider pulling your tank again to see if the heat shield underneath the tank has begun to come free...with an open top filter, it will eventually suck loose and cut your air off (which reminds me that I need to check mine again). k

I do have the open air box, (sounds so cool), and the heat shield material is in bad shape, I will check that out..... and the way it was acting, I am very optimistic that is the problem...

thanks

Heat shield? what does that look like? I don't think I have any on mine! or is it only on US bikes?

Thick aluminum foil/cardboardish multi-fold panel that is glued to the underside of the tank. Mine has pulled off more than once causing me to have to pull tank on side of road to duct tape it for return trip (now a challenge with ethanol pollution in tank). Something to check whenever you have the tank off. The Scotch spray glue will generally hold it in place for a year. k