vintage hein gericke jacket

I bought a vintage hein gericke jacket on ebay recently. I believe its a handmade one from probably the 70's or 80's. It has these really cool handmade looking zipper pulls with leather straps attached to them. I cant find another on the internet with this type of zipper pull. Does anyone here know how old this jacket is, or if its something unusual?pets and jacket 048.jpgpets and jacket 036.jpgpets and jacket 037.jpg

I bought a vintage hein gericke jacket on ebay recently. I believe its a handmade one from probably the 70's or 80's. It has these really cool handmade looking zipper pulls with leather straps attached to them. I cant find another on the internet with this type of zipper pull. Does anyone here know how old this jacket is, or if its something unusual?pets and jacket 048.jpgpets and jacket 036.jpgpets and jacket 037.jpg

Its a bomber type of jacket with a pocket thing on the sleeve. Here are some more pics.jacket 002.jpgjacket 004.jpg

I have an old (early 90s) Hein Gericke. They're real quality stuff. I don't recognize this model, but if the lining and pockets are intact, it will be good riding gear.

I think probably all Hein Gericke stuff is rather rare.

I think you'll get better viewing on this thread by posting it in "24/7 V11", but I don't have the special Imperial powers to move it from here (not my train station). You could just duplicate the post there and delete your first one here. I think more folks will see it there.

I have an old (early 90s) Hein Gericke. They're real quality stuff. I don't recognize this model, but if the lining and pockets are intact, it will be good riding gear.

I think probably all Hein Gericke stuff is rather rare.

I think you'll get better viewing on this thread by posting it in "24/7 V11", but I don't have the special Imperial powers to move it from here (not my train station). You could just duplicate the post there and delete your first one here. I think more folks will see it there.

Hi Docc,

The jacket is in nearly new condition, its hard to see from the pics I put on but its really very nice. I didnt buy it to use because I have a hein gericke stealth riding jacket already and it is indeed very good quality even though its a first gear made in indonesia one. I bought this one because I was intrigued by the zipper pulls and the style. The person on ebay that was selling it made several errors in the listing as to the size and color so I picked it up for a song.

Its not really a motorcycle jacket, the leather is really way too soft and it has that bomber type collar. It doesnt have a tag that says made in Germany or anywhere else which makes me think that it was either a custom tailor made coat for someone, or it was made before they started using the made in wherever tags.

In any case I figured that these were more popular in Europe and someone in this forum from Europe knows a thing or three about it. As to moving it to the 24/7 column, if a moderator wants to move it there I'm fine with that.

Interesting. I have this HG jacket from circa 1983. It is also nicely made, but doesn't have the leather pulls, etc. on it. I have several hundred thousand miles on it and it barely shows. The leather is a bit dry, and needs conditioning- that's it. There's no padding in the elbows or back, so I rarely wear it anymore. Still, it makes for a nice photo-op.

The picture is my daughter and I just before a ride. What a gal.

IMG_4895.jpg

Interesting. I have this HG jacket from circa 1983. It is also nicely made, but doesn't have the leather pulls, etc. on it. I have several hundred thousand miles on it and it barely shows. The leather is a bit dry, and needs conditioning- that's it. There's no padding in the elbows or back, so I rarely wear it anymore. Still, it makes for a nice photo-op.

The picture is my daughter and I just before a ride. What a gal.

IMG_4895.jpg

Haha your jacket doesnt have leather pulls, but I can see that hers does! What caught my eye for mine wasnt so much the leather pulls, but the brass wire type sliders that the leather pulls are attached to. I have never in my life seen anything like that. They would have had to be put on the zipper and then put in a crimper or something. I'm pretty sure that in the next few days someone in here will notice it and hopefully enlighten me a little as to the model of jacket or that type of wire zipper slider or both.

It's hard to tell without a full length picture but, it may be a Hein Gericke Dakar jacket which, was considered the cat's meow for touring jackets back in the 1980s.

The Dakar extended down below the waist to about the bottom of your pants pockets.

It may well be a motorcycle jacket because back then, a lotta motorcycle jackets had no protective padding.

Edit to add: nevermind, I just noticed the picture with the pocket on the sleeve and, I don't think the Dakar had one of those, although I could be wrong :)

It's hard to tell without a full length picture but, it may be a Hein Gericke Dakar jacket which, was considered the cat's meow for touring jackets back in the 1980s.

The Dakar extended down below the waist to about the bottom of your pants pockets.

It may well be a motorcycle jacket because back then, a lotta motorcycle jackets had no protective padding.

Edit to add: nevermind, I just noticed the picture with the pocket on the sleeve and, I don't think the Dakar had one of those, although I could be wrong :)

Thanks for your help Orson. It just goes down to the waistline like a normal motorcycle jacket would. The sleeve pocket is pretty cool too and I'm betting someone in here either had one of these or knows a little bit about it. This seems to be a slow time of the year, not a lot of posts lately so maybe the right person just hasnt seen or noticed my thread yet. I'm not in a bug hurry, the jacket will be with me for a good long time more than likely. Initially I bought the thing with the idea of turning a buck on it, but now I've worn it a few times I'm wanting to keep it. It was that sleeve pocket and those old fashioned custom looking wire zipper pulls that got me to buy it.

Yes, mine is a Dakar. It is 3/4 length and a band collar. It looks much like a US "Field Jacket." So this one is not a Dakar.

All the Heine Gericke product is very good. I stopped wearing mine when the lack of CE armor bit me (on the shoulder) tripping my little Honda over a very large dog.