Front Wheel Noise

abouc

The other day, I began to feel some pulsing in the front brakes of my 2002 V11 Le Mans, sort of like warped rotors. Yesterday, I began hearing sort of a moaning/howling noise coming from the front wheel and a faint rhythmic ticking at low speeds. The howling goes away when brakes are applied, but returns if they are released. It is most noticeable when coming to a stop.

Does this sound like wheel bearing failure? I think I should take it to the dealer for inspection. If the sound is wheel bearings, is it unwise to ride 70 miles to the dealership?

Can you get the bike on a stand w front wheel off the ground?

Does wheel spin freely?

Are brakes binding? (likely cause: piston(s) sticking in caliper(s)).

Foreign object stuck in caliper?

Check discs for run out & that surfaces are flat & have no damage.

Check brake pads for condition, wear & damage. Pads can squeal even when good. A very slight smear of brake grease on back of pad where it meets piston can help.

If not brakes, try feeling for lateral movement holding wheel rim & moving it against axle.

If you suspect bearings, it's easy to check them - take wheel off & rotate bearing inners against outer races - stick your finger in the inner race - they should have a totally smooth action - any roughness or notchiness & they're knackered.

KB :sun:

It sounds like the brakes to me. I would get the front wheel off the ground and spin it by hand so you can here where the noise is coming from. If you cant do it yourself you really need to get it to someone that can. The front wheel is probably the worst place for a mechanical problem at speed. If the front brakes let go at speed the rear brakes wont stop the bike very fast or without locking the rear wheel. If its a bearing in the wheel that seizes up at speed well...I dont want to think about that.

Purchase a mechanic's stethescope to help isolate this (and future) noise.

If you do purchase wheel bearings, get the exact # replacement....... Don't just buy a 203 BCA when the part # on the bearing has a prefix and or suffix on the one coming out of the hub. These characters designate quality,bearing speed, etc.

Good replies on checking the bearings versus the brakes. It is really common for some of the pistons to begin sticking. Bleeding the brakes while freeing the pistons, all, will improve the braking and reduce any drag from sticking pistons along with the uneven movement of the pads against the rotors.

My stand arrived and I got the bike up in the air today. It turns out the 2 noises I was hearing are coming from different locations.

The rhythmic ticking is coming from the front right caliper. There's a metal clip that's rattling and whenever a certain part of the rotor passes the caliper, this clip lifts and makes a clicking noise. The same clip makes all sorts of racket going over bumps. I will disassemble over the weekend and see what's going on.

The howling noise is coming from the rear wheel. Sounds like the right side, where the drive mechanism is. I can reproduce the sound consistently by slowly rotating the wheel. It seems to happen only at a certain point of rotation, just like the front wheel noise. Here's a short video clip of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-MYiq5QAuw

It seems like when I apply more lateral force while rotating, the noise increases in volume. Any ideas?

My stand arrived and I got the bike up in the air today. It turns out the 2 noises I was hearing are coming from different locations.

The rhythmic ticking is coming from the front right caliper. There's a metal clip that's rattling and whenever a certain part of the rotor passes the caliper, this clip lifts and makes a clicking noise. The same clip makes all sorts of racket going over bumps. I will disassemble over the weekend and see what's going on.

The howling noise is coming from the rear wheel. Sounds like the right side, where the drive mechanism is. I can reproduce the sound consistently by slowly rotating the wheel. It seems to happen only at a certain point of rotation, just like the front wheel noise. Here's a short video clip of it.

It seems like when I apply more lateral force while rotating, the noise increases in volume. Any ideas?

Yes, the brake caliper/rotor/brake pads is where the noise is being generated from. try applying the rear brake with your hand and have someone rotate the wheel. You can apply differing amounts of pressure to se what happens. If you can pry the cover off the cavity that contains the brake pads, try seperating them from the rotor and rotate the wheel.

If the noise disappears, you have found the problem.

You can Google shops that will resurface rotors if need be. This is an easy task to remove & reinstall them. MARK & index the rotor side and position when removing & reinstalling them. Always clean the mating surfaces and torque the fasteners in steps and aa crisscross(sp?)pattern so you will not warp the rotors.

defo sounds like rear brake-mine does it on occasion especially after some wet riding-a good clean with an old toothbrush and some hot water should sort it-

I agree, definetly the rear brake. Happened to me a few weeks ago ipulled the rear pads and noise dissapeared.

If you want to stop the front brake pulsation you will have to surface the rotors. I would surface all rotors if it was my bike.

If you want to stop the noise you can pull the pads and scuff them up by laying a sheet of rough sandpaper on a flat surface and rubbing the friction surface of the pad til the pad has a new surface, clean this off with brake cleaner, allow to dry and reinstall.