Never Grease The U Joints, Lifespan?

invstor17

Anyone else out there who takes otherwise fanatical care of their bike simply give up on the front U Joint? After spending probably $150 on parts trying to create the magic 55 degree bend with a torch to reach that front uni I give up, how many miles can I expect from the shaft if I never touch that u joint with grease again? Low miles so it has probably never been greased since the factory.

Thanks, and no use trying to talk me through it I have thrown in the towel. :)

Anyone else out there who takes otherwise fanatical care of their bike simply give up on the front U Joint? After spending probably $150 on parts trying to create the magic 55 degree bend with a torch to reach that front uni I give up, how many miles can I expect from the shaft if I never touch that u joint with grease again? Low miles so it has probably never been greased since the factory.

Thanks, and no use trying to talk me through it I have thrown in the towel. :)

I would think it will last a long time especially in Los Angeles, no rain and snow or salt. If you ever get ambitious enough to take the swingarm off the bike the front u joint will be yours for the greasing. ;)

spending probably $150 on parts trying to create the magic 55 degree bend with a torch

I would gladly charge you $75 dollars for one of my fittings. I'm sure I didn't spend more than $1.50 to make it and it works quite well.

However if it is that difficult then as Richard suggests - taking the wheel and swingarm off will allow easy access.

What a timely post! I've just borrowed a blowtorch to try and bend a grease gun attachment

My link

failing that, bearing in mind my lack of skill, whats involved in removing the shaft to grease the uj?

Remember to put a piece of wire into the grease fitting so that it doesn't collapse when you bend it .....

Thanks for the offer on selling a fitting Jim. I may take you up on that in a few miles. I was having trouble getting the angle right so I bought a oxy torch to get it real hot. I also bought some narrow nozzles and extensions but just cant seem to get the nozzle on there. I wish I could see the fitting.

What a timely post! I've just borrowed a blowtorch to try and bend a grease gun attachment

My link

failing that, bearing in mind my lack of skill, whats involved in removing the shaft to grease the uj?

Remember to put a piece of wire into the grease fitting so that it doesn't collapse when you bend it .....

ACE hardware has a swivel nozzle attachment for about 6 bucks that worked for me.

are you saying ACE hardware has a swivel fitting that u used W/O heating/bending, or removing the swingarm or the shaft?

you just applied the fitting to the front zerc somehow and were able to grease it?

wow, i have an ace hardware in my town,think i'll go & see what i can find.

cheers,stef

I use a needle tip grease nozzle (under $10.00 at your local hardware store) for when the rear wheel is off, and do a major clean and grease when I pull the swing arm. That shaft alone is $800.00. plus what it will take out if it fails big time. Of course, it's your bike, your call :luigi::whistle:

My link

If memory serves me right i think it was moscowphil who posted a pic of his grease gun attachment. I made the same thing and it goes on the nipple a treat, but it didnt go fully home so you have to file the nozzle and then it was perfect. I takeoff the rear wheel then the rear trans from the shaft (make sure you have the paint marks both sides of the shaft before removal, if not mark it yourself) I Also take off the lower shock mount nut and bolt as it lowers the swing arm about 20mm, turn the shaft to expose the grease nipple and grease away :drink:

Gary

After 76,000 miles, I'm replacing my drive shaft. I know I've gotten grease in it twice for sure.:rolleyes:

Trouble is, it's been removed and replaced four or five times for other reasons and I don't trust the pinch bolts and collars anymore.

Apparently, Teo Lamers in Holland has replacements for much less than $800 USD.

Docc,

I think someone on the MGNOC website rebuilds them . You can Google the repair also. What is wrong with yours ?

The fasteners should last a long time. If they scare you I'm sure Fastenal can fix you up.

Having spent a frustrating morning in the garage pipe bending-burnt forearm! I'm no nearer that bloody nipple!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so I guess its wheel off, will the bevel and shaft just slide off? I have the alignment marks already on it, just line them up on re assembly? thanks

Having spent a frustrating morning in the garage pipe bending-burnt forearm! I'm no nearer that bloody nipple!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so I guess its wheel off, will the bevel and shaft just slide off? I have the alignment marks already on it, just line them up on re assembly? thanks

Some people in here swear they can grease that front fitting without removing the rear wheel, but I never could. That might be all you need to get in there. I had to grind the edges down on my grease fitting to get it to lock onto the zerk but thats it.