Wont start

Guest david scott

Guest david scott

Got the transmission spring in and bike running . On occasion with the ignition key on and all the idiot lights on push the start button and nothing. Thought I had it licked by checking the post on this forum. Put dielectric grease on all the relays, fuses, and bullet connectors (two) under the seat. Seemed to do the trick. But again this am no start. tapped on the handlebars then it started. not sure if is the starter switch or the clutch safety switch. any help out there on where to go next. Can thesed switches be taken apart? regards and Thanks david guzzied once again in alabama

Guest david scott

also had the ignition key lock up on me. couldnt get it to the enable start position. Finally had to lift the key up a bit and it would work. if you kept pressure down on the key would not turn to the right. anyone else with this problem. regards david

Did you check the two bullet connectors under the tank on the left side that go to the clutch switch. I've had those give me problems. They're near the last thing in the electrical chain to the starter relay.

...my thoughts exactly. Having to "tap on the handlebars" seems to be a giveaway that it's the clutch switch bullets.

For the last few months, I've had to turn my bars to the left "just right" to get the bike to start. It didn't bother me because I knew what the problem was, and knew I'd fix it later. Plus, it was a theft detterent :lol:

The fix: I cut my clutch bullets off and replaced them with AMP weathertight connectors... you know, like the REST of the darned harness uses. All better :thumbsup:

al

Guest david scott

Thanks, didnt know about THOSE bullets. Waiting for a air filter kit to come in when It gets here I will pull the tank and check out those while I am putting the kit in. . If I can ever get all the GUZZI out of this bike will be able to MOTO. Thanks you guys, thanks so much. :bier::mg:

Guest david scott

All the good stuff comes from California, you know that. Down here we tell everyone we are from LA. if they really press us we tell them, lower alabama. Told my brother this pm, also a rider and a much better wrench. I love fixing things, guzzi's are for me. david :mg:

Where are you at David? My family is from Monroe, LA and a buddy of mine is teaching Economics at LA Tech in Ruston.

Funny story: When my Grandpa joined the Navy during WWII, he was sent to San Diego for training. He really wasn't very "worldly" then, not really ever having been outside of Louisiana before, and was quite young... probably late teens.

Well, while in boot-camp, he met up with fellow recruits and started chatting about where they were from, etc. And one of the fellas said, "...yeah, I am from L.A. blah blah blah".

Well, my Granddad, being somewhat homesick and feeling very lost and alone at this point... perked up and said, "Hey, you are from L.A.?! ...so am I!" and struck up a conversation.

However, to my Granddad's dismay and surprise, it soon turned out that the "L.A." that the fella was talking about was Los Angeles, CA ... not Louisiana.

He was very disappointed :wacko:

al

Guest david scott

My grandfather finished his years in Jonesville, La. Met two of the prettiest girls from monroe when I would visit. That town (Jonesville) was a town of maybe 3000, but had more good looking women per capita than any place I have ever been. I have lived all over the south starting out in New Orleans, but now live in Auburn, Alabama. Great place great riding, easy to get away from the cars and some great looking hillsides. Dont catch on fire out there, al. Left San Diego a few weeks back when the fires really heated up. Got one of the last undelayed flights out on a Sunday am before the smoke and faa tower went out. regards david :bike:

:lol: ... sheesh, you are in AUBURN? My friend that teaches at Tech just got his Phd in Econ at Auburn(...long soap-opera of local politics there on why the Econ Phd program was cancelled, but they still have a multi-million $$ football program <_>

I was just there two years ago :P

Small world.

al

Guest david scott

Docc, have read on here about the relays. My box has the tall and short which I have read are okay. I pulled all of them and put the dielectric grease on them.. My bike was a 9/2001 purchase but is a 2002 model. so it is an early 2002. They must have fixed the relay problem. Took the increased cost of good relays and cheapened the spring. guzzied in alabama :homer: