Leaking fuel cap

swortsoul

Sorry if this has been covered, but I did not find it in a search, though I'm notoriously bad at finding stuff like that.

It rained last night and my fuel light lit up on my new to me 2002 Le Mans mnus fairing.  I wanted to check the fuel level (was getting low of course) but found water around the top lip of the fuel cap.  I took it apart, cleaned everything, and think that big rubber gasket could use replacing.  It's not awful, but does show some wear.  While I'm at it, I figure I might as well replace the other gasket in there.  

Does that happen to these, or should I start looking at other issues?  I'd hate to replace the entire cap because I'm guessing that is not cheap.  I'm really hoping it has nothing to do with the tank warp thread a few threads down from this.

Thanks

Sorry if this has been covered, but I did not find it in a search, though I'm notoriously bad at finding stuff like that.

It rained last night and my fuel light lit up on my new to me 2002 Le Mans mnus fairing.  I wanted to check the fuel level (was getting low of course) but found water around the top lip of the fuel cap.  I took it apart, cleaned everything, and think that big rubber gasket could use replacing.  It's not awful, but does show some wear.  While I'm at it, I figure I might as well replace the other gasket in there.  

Does that happen to these, or should I start looking at other issues?  I'd hate to replace the entire cap because I'm guessing that is not cheap.  I'm really hoping it has nothing to do with the tank warp thread a few threads down from this.

Thanks

Mine got exactly the same: water around top lip after washing or standing in the rain. I don't think any water is getting inside the tank so i'm just being carefull to refuel it after riding through the rain :-)

Thanks

Mine got exactly the same: water around top lip after washing or standing in the rain. I don't think any water is getting inside the tank so i'm just being carefull to refuel it after riding through the rain :-)

Mine definitely had water on the inside of the cap. I will call Moto International to get replacement gaskets. Any other ideas?

Fluid of any type (water or fuel) should drain out the overflow. Could your overflow tube be clogged or kinked?

Fluid of any type (water or fuel) should drain out the overflow. Could your overflow tube be clogged or kinked?

Very good point. It was sitting on that lip part. There was enough gunk in the area to do that. How would I go about un-clogging a small tube like that? Not quite sure how to go about that.

Very good point. It was sitting on that lip part. There was enough gunk in the area to do that. How would I go about un-clogging a small tube like that? Not quite sure how to go about that.

Compressed air, (duster on air line,blow through a spare pieceof tube)