rattling clutch

leafman60

Ok guys. I just picked up a new Scura. It now has 1800 miles on it. After it warms up and is idling in neutral, there is a terrible rattling racket. When I grab the clutch lever it quiets. When I let it back out it resumes. I noticed today that even while I'm in gear and trolling along in first gear and near-idle rpm's, I can hear the racket. Im used to noisy Ducati clutches but is this normal for a Goose???? Any diagnoses??? leafman60@hotmail.com

Alright , you experts, tighten me up on this: The scura is '02 only? And the single plate clutch was on Scura, Rosso Mandello ( '01?) and what else? :huh2:

Do we think this clutch has the self-grenading feature? :o

Scura was '02 only - though I know of one that's still not sold.

Same single plate clutch is on the Tenni.

Rattling is certain with this clutch - I'm on my second. The first clutch got so bad that the dealer agreed that it should be replaced - we were both afraid something was going to fly out of the casing. On inspection, it didn't look too bad - just play between the splines and plate. The second clutch seems to be holding up better although it started rattling at about 250 miles onwards - I just dont leave it idling in neutral when warm - it's still silent on startup!

I recall that there was one single plate clutch that "grenaded", but never heard of that kind failure before then or since. I don't think the rattling was related to that failure.

BTW, if the clutch is still rattling when the lever is pulled in something is definitely wrong - this applies to all V11s (probably a warped plate).

Scura clutch is noisy as hell. John O'Sullivan has Scura - visited Agostinis, they approved of the noise...said that Scura clutch was improved over earlier single plate (Rosso Mandello) but also noisier. Did I get that right John? (& how are ya? - not seen you here for a while...).

Re that "grenade" - on photos it's a piece of flywheel that flew out rather than clutch, not sure if flywheel is same on Scuras/LeMans? Anyone? Any word on why that flywheel failed? (Paul?).

Cheers, KB, Cymru :sun:

Kieth,

You got it exactly right, Agostini's say that the Scura single plate clutch is an improved model over the Rosso Mandello's clutch, only its noisey and don't we know that :grin:

Especially for Jaap and his Dutch friends I include this O.T. Joke:

A guy walks into a bar, orders a beer and says to the bartender, "Hey, I got

this great Dutch Joke..."

The barkeep glares at him and says in a warning tone of voice: "Before you

go telling that joke you better know that I'm Dutch, both bouncers are Dutch

and so are most of my customers"

"Okay" says the customer,"I'll tell it very slowly."

:bier:

My starter circuit is blowing 15 Amp fuses and I'm not having any luck finding the problem. I have checked the starter and its connections, they are fine. The starter button and kill switch are suspect but I cannot open the switches as the seem to be sealed.

I have upped the fuse to 20 Amp to see can I get any smoke/spark to show the problem.

Any ideas ?

Regards,

John

I have a Scura, but never heard the clutch:-). the failed engine has a broken aluminium flywheel. That failure can be seen before it goes wrong I think, I suggest that one in a while single disk clutch owners, inspect the fltwheel from time to time. Take the rubber out of the inspection hole, and rotate the cranck one turn, inspect the flywheel on cracks.

This Scura flywheel is different from the other Sports/LM? I thought they were all steel?

I remember in those pictures the broken part was rusted along the edge of the break. I assumed that meant it had been cracked for a while. Yet, if rusted it must be iron. Was that a piece of the clutch pressure plate?

BTW, if the clutch is still rattling when the lever is pulled in something is definitely wrong - this applies to all V11s (probably a warped plate).

Are you sure about that?

Mine has been rattling with the clutch pulled in from day one.

The dealer said it was normal, and my mechanic has never commented on it.

21,000 miles on it now.

I suspect it wiil eventually grenade or slip someday.