Popping and misfiring

Admin Jaap

Since you checked the valves the other two major causes of the popping and misfiring are the tb balance and tps. I'd try balancing the tb's and giving the tps a good look. All the other things mentioned could be causing the problem, BUT the tb balance and tps is a very easy job to do and free so I would go there first. The tb's only have to be off just a little to cause that problem.

Since you checked the valves the other two major causes of the popping and misfiring are the tb balance and tps. I'd try balancing the tb's and giving the tps a good look. All the other things mentioned could be causing the problem, BUT the tb balance and tps is a very easy job to do and free so I would go there first. The tb's only have to be off just a little to cause that problem.

Hoi Jaap,

My guess it that the tempsensor in the right cylinderhead needs the old if-guzzi-didnt-manufacture-it-right-i`ll-fix-it-myself fixing.

I did wonders tot popping under light loads in hot whether-conditions for me!

If you`re interested, please PM me.

succes - good luck.

Velf2003

Don't forget the ignition switch, that can also cause rough running if the contact resistance is too high, I'm not quite sure how, but I suspect the ECU relays start to chatter. It only takes a second to check because the test points are under the seat from fuse to relay base contact. Should be

BTW, which bike/year are you refering to?

Quick follow up: The bike was at TLM yesterday and they took care of the TB synchronization and setting the TPS right. Popping is gone now! Happy camper!!!

I also mounted the full metal Daytona temp sensor holder adding a squeeze of anti-seize.

Glad to hear you're back on the road with a pretty simple tune-up!

The brass sensor and anti-seize shot my sport in the foot.:huh:

It used to be a 2001 red/grey V11 LeMans :grin:

Now it looks like this:

Whoa!! It's a V11 999!! Nice job. I'd like to see what you did behind that front fairing. Did you use a headlight from a Duc?

By the way, I just cleaned up some popping and crappy fueling on a 97 Sport 1100 I just acquired. This was fixed by turning in the bleed screws on the throttle bodies and richening up the adjustment pot in the ECU.

I have been having this problem also and here is what I have seen so far. The rubber venturis that connect the throttle bodies to the cylinder heads had no cracks but....I noticed that the clamps on them were quite loose. Not that they moved but the screws that tighten them seemed to not have any tension at all. So, I loosened the clamps and made sure that the venturis were properly and completely seated. I then tightened the clamps down pretty good. They don't seem to get TIGHT tight and I guess it is possible to tightened them too much and damage something but I made them tighter than they were before.

So far so good. Haven't had any pooping yet. We'll see. Might want to check it out anyway.

I have been having this problem also and here is what I have seen so far. The rubber venturis that connect the throttle bodies to the cylinder heads had no cracks but....I noticed that the clamps on them were quite loose. Not that they moved but the screws that tighten them seemed to not have any tension at all. So, I loosened the clamps and made sure that the venturis were properly and completely seated. I then tightened the clamps down pretty good. They don't seem to get TIGHT tight and I guess it is possible to tightened them too much and damage something but I made them tighter than they were before.

So far so good. Haven't had any pooping yet. We'll see. Might want to check it out anyway.

Sorry to hear about your pooping problem. Syrup of figs works for me. :grin:

Sorry to hear about your pooping problem. Syrup of figs works for me. :grin:

Thanks...That tight venturi is starting to hurt! :)