MG Ti Exhaust cans

PeteTW

Hey All,

I've been offered a used but immaculate pair of MG Ti cans for my V11. Does anybody run these? They look sweet, but do you get and discernable power improvements and what do they sound like most imnportantly ;)

Pete

Hey All,

I've been offered a used but immaculate pair of MG Ti cans for my V11. Does anybody run these? They look sweet, but do you get and discernable power improvements and what do they sound like most imnportantly ;)

Pete

I am using them, look and sound great. You will notice apower difference if you are getting the "race ecu" aswell. This came with the cans when bought new as well as brackets to mount them higher than stock.

Cheers, sounds great, and yes ECU included. Do the higher cans interfere with the pillion pegs or can they be mounted as standard?

Pete

Cheers, sounds great, and yes ECU included. Do the higher cans interfere with the pillion pegs or can they be mounted as standard?

Pete

MG kit came with different hangers (think they may be 1100 sport)which moved pillion pegs - some have mounted these cans lower to clear sidebags.

I have kit. When I fitted it, it didn't run perfect - felt lumpy, like it was running rich - I also fitted a Stucchi x-over. I had a shop (MotoCorsa) fit PC111, set it all up & dyno it. After that runs like a fast freight train.

To me it seems much improved through 4k flatspot, more power, more torque, more noise...but - I never had it set up on a dyno before fitting bits, so I don't know how well it can run stock. Same re PC111 - as I say I know nothing about FI/ECU's etc - there's plenty discussion here on that if you search.

Cans are much, much lighter than stock. They will dent easily.

KB :sun:

... They will dent easily.

That's the only culprit. Compared to what they cost this makes them rather useless. For me at least. Nevertheless, sound and look are the real thing.

If you buy them, be very carefull with those most cheapish mounting clamps coming with the kit. If you aren't they will bite their way through the cans faster than you can look.

Hubert

...That's the only culprit. Compared to what they cost this makes them rather useless. For me at least. Nevertheless, sound and look are the real thing.

If you buy them, be very carefull with those most cheapish mounting clamps coming with the kit. If you aren't they will bite their way through the cans faster than you can look.

Hubert

Yeah, the clamps are shit! Been meaning to change them - anyone point me to a source for decent quality alternative, so I don't have to find it myself? Thanks.

...That's the only culprit. Compared to what they cost this makes them rather useless. For me at least. Nevertheless, sound and look are the real thing.

Hubert

Yeah, the clamps are shit! Been meaning to change them - anyone point me to a source for decent quality alternative, so I don't have to find it myself? Thanks.

Agreed, would love to replace them as well.

You could slip a piece of an old inner tube over them, under the clamps, to protect the cans. Of course this adds a bit to the "hard working dog" appearance of the bike. So if you are more the bling bike type this might not be your favorite solution.

hard_working_dog_.jpg

As recorded with my Iphone, http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16161

I'm running stock X-over,no PC3,mainy because lack of funds.Couldn't get it to run smoothly with Race ECU but runs perfect with the stock one.

Interesting comment about the ECU. Mark at Twiggers Moto Guzzi, also said they run better with stock ECU than the race one.

... Interesting comment about the ECU. Mark at Twiggers Moto Guzzi, also said they run better with stock ECU than the race one.

I don't understand ECU/FI set up. I fitted Ti kit & took it to a bit of private road. Did half a dozen runs flat out through the gears, swapping between stock & kit ECU's. With kit ECU it ran a bit lumpy, with stock ECU it was smoother but a bit flatter. Neither was great. I had also fitted a Stucchi x-over.

I had Moto Corsa do FI set-up, PC111 & dyno (crescent dyno round the corner from them) & it pulled like a train - except for occasional bottom end fart. This was 6k miles after stock FI set up by Corsa Italiana (Baldrick did a good job - got rid of flat spot below 5k) & settings could have gone out a bit (? bike was running fine) so I don't know how good it could be with perfect FI settings & without x-over, PC111 & dyno.

I'm running the MG Ti exhaust and "Ti race" ECU with a PCIII, FBF crossover and modified airbox. I've swapped back & forth between stock and Ti ECUs with appropriate PC maps and dynoed both combinations. I found that the stock ECU has better throttle response below about 4500 rpm but the Ti ECU pulls harder above that point. When I told the dyno guy that's how it felt to me he complimented me on the accuracy of my ass dyno because the bike pulled about 3 more hp on top with the Ti ECU.

That said, I believe both the stock and race ECUs got better mapping after 2002 for the bikes with the crossover by the alternator. I think (could be wrong) that MI parts guy Greg Field said the post-02 race kit had a different part number than the earlier one, possibly because the ECU was mapped differently for the later V11s.

I'd love to find an ECU that pulled like the stock one below 4500 and like the race version above 4500.

Oh yeah, the Ti cans sound great and look pretty good too.

DSCN1119.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have installed the Guzzi Ti system in the past. It's a good system but it does dent very easily so be careful. I highly recommend a Stucchi cross-over to go along with the Ti cans. This system sounds great. ( I still have my "titanio" kit ecu )