New Member and Guzzi Le Mans Questions

GuzziYang

Hi Everyone, I'm six year late to the party but better late then never :lol:

My name is Frank, a long time Guzzi fan, first time owner and just bought a 02 V11 Le Mans three weeks ago with 5k miles and the previous owner only put 1.5k miles from 04 till now. Obviously he polish the bike more then he rides. Its champaign color which beside the silver V11 color is my second favorit among the V11 colors. I paid $4,000 USD so hope its a good price.

My bike has the typical crinkle engine paint (extra option from factory :D ) The fuel pump is located in front of the engine above the oil cooler so I think I won't have any vapor lock issues.

I have some questions and since I don't have a manual yet, I hope some of you can point me in the right direction.

1. I think it still have the original Guzzi battery as it has the Guzzi sticker on the battery but its hard to believed it lasted from 02 till now? Is that typical battery life span? I'm going to Laguna Seca GP next month in July and I'm debating to replace the battery just to be on the safe side or hope it it will make it?

2. How to you take off the gas tank? I remove the bolt under the seat but the tank just wont budge and I don't want to force it but I can't see any other bolts that is holding the tank. Bought a K&N and Ferraci air box modification kit so any feedback would be nice.

3. I want to change the oil on the bike and bought the filter and oil filter cover nut from MG cycles. I saw two possible drain holes on the back side of the motor but not sure which one. Or do you drain the oil when you remove the oil filter? Since the bike does not have a center stand do I need a rear stand to properyl drain all the oil out? Procedure and sequence is much appreciated.

4. The turn indicator lens bulb burn out and after I replace it with bigger bulb I notice the turn indicator lens is green color, is that typical on Guzzi? I thought orange is the universal standar. I want to replace the instrumentation bulb with LED but the one's that I can sourced, will not fit the small hole on the baside of the guages. Has anyone successfully update their insturment bulbs with LED? I change out the rear brak bulb with LED and its makes a big difference.

5. Lots of talk on cross over pipe and I notice the stock pipe already are cross breath at the back, thought not much volumn, is that the issue? Does the later 03-05 models won't need the cross over as they already have it at the front of the engine header. Is a 03-05 header with cross over and match to a ferraci cross over at back, give best mid-range power?

I'll post some pictures as soon as I put the fairings back and any feedback are much appreciated.

thats a great price! the manhole cover to the oil filter has some very fine threads, be careful with it.. I never use it but drop the sump instead.. then you can lock the oil filter in with a hose clamp (do a search). mine is an 02 also.. they say the shift return spring can break, I've had no problem for 20k miles but I carry a spare. I think the tanks slides to the rear then up after you take out the bolt, been awhile, anyone else? I put on a Mistral xover to settle the revs at around 3-4k. if it has an Odessey battery that life is true but I might get a new one before a trip. I have the pc545. the oil drain is the smaller of the two bolts in the rear of the pan.

your gonna LOVE IT!

Welcome Frank and Congrat's on your new LeMans.

There is only one bolt holding the tank on. From memory here's how to pull the tank on your '02. (Later V11s are a little different because of the internal fuel pump.)

- remove bolt at rear of tank

- lift rear of tank a few inches

- turn off petcock on left side and remove fuel line

- remove fuel line from regulator on right side

- slide the tank backwards until you can lift the front of the tank clear of the rubber bumpers on the frame. If you don't do this the fuel pressure regulator will hit the airbox and you can damage the reg if you force it by the airbox.

- now slide the tank forward as far as you can then lift the rear high enough to reach under the tank and disconnect the vent and overflow hoses from the center of the tank.

- now you can lift the tank off.

If your battery is original I'd replace it before it cause problems. The stock relays can cause problems sometimes too so some of us replace them before getting stranded. Use the search function for dpguzzi or omron for a couple replacement options. At the very least keep an extra one with you.

As Foto mentioned there's a shifter pawl spring that's been known to break on the '02 and some later bikes. FWIW mine went at about 15k miles. It's not a bad idea to have a spare handy just in case. I got my last one from MGCycle.com.

Welcome

Don't forget to unplug the fuel level sensor before you jerk the tank.

The tank my have swollen some from ethanol fuel ....

After removing the bolt at back of tank lift up about two inches.

Your trying to get the back bottom of the tank above the two mounting

Screws for the body work.

If it doesn't want to work with you just manhandle it

Happy riding

Andy

02 lemans

85000 m

Thansk so much for the great info. I know I come to the right place. Got the PDF manual already, not directly from the link (its spam territory there) but a link from that site.

The previous owner confirm its the original battery so 9+ years is a pretty good run in my book. I order Odyssey PC545 already and the tires are vintage 2004 Bridgestone 021's.

The shift fork recall has been done but I don't see any spring. Is it inside the case?

One more questions, I noticed the right engine cylinder top end has more clacking noise then the left cylinder. I know its a push rod design but is it normal to have valve train noise? It only got 5,500 miles but the uneven noise got me concern. Is the valve adjustment a tappet screw and feeler gauge affair? or its a shim/bucket type?

I rode the bike a few more time and I like it more and more, just rock solid and steady but you do have to pick your lines early. My other V-twin is Yamaha ZX550 Vision way back them, feel a lot more smooth and revy compared to the Guzzi but the torque is out of this world on the V11. I'd also rode my friends Honda Hawk GT and the vibs from the engine is similar (except the side to side rock). The bike hide its weight vary well indeed and once on the way, its cloud 9 territory except for the vibs. I feel the bike like to run around 5-6k rpm, never feel the need for 6th speed and anything below 4k rpm I feel like abusing the engine even though it could easily pull from 3k rpm.

GY

The spring is in the case. You will not see it until it is time to see it!

The noise is indicating the need for valve adjustment. This is easy the third time you do it!

Get plenty of pump from looking at manual, reading it until you feel confident in doing it.... Then JUMP

Pick up a copy of Guzziology. It's a great book that covers everything from proper oil/fluid selection to the quirks of practically every Guzzi made in the past 40 years.

Hi Frank

I think that's a great deal!

Most of your questions have been answered but if any of the LA/San Diego guys don't hook up with you I can give you some pointers next time I'm in LA,some of the best riding in the country!(was there last weekend)

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the best and most informative V11 forums in existence. From experience I would like to say that by all means you should replace the battery and the relays. That is one of the first things all new V11 owners should do. It is very cheap insurance against a whole data base of complaints.