To paint or not to paint?

moscowphil

The paint on my engine cases is coming off in lumps - looks horrible. It's not the famous blistering problem - that was fixed under warranty - but the paint they replaced it with is now peeling away from the engine case, and it looks seriously crap. So what to do? On my previous Guzzi (77 vintage T3) the cases were all completely unpainted, and while I probably spent a fortune on Solvol Autosol to keep the corrosion at bay, it looked good even after 25 years. So I'm toying with the idea of just removing the engine and gearbox paint on my V11 and leaving it unpainted. Think of the weight saving! Has anyone tried this? Is the alloy the same as on the old round case engines? Any advice welcome.

I also have old Tontis with bare cases & they last forever & will always clean up. No need whatsoever for paint.

I'm not a fan of engine paint.

I don't know, but it's been said to me that the alloy in the V11's isn't as good as the old stuff & needs the paint. I haven't investigated at all - I've been lucky with my Scura so far; paint has stayed on - apart from a couple of chips.

Compare the V11 alternator cover with one from a Tonti big block.

KB :sun:

I also have old Tontis with bare cases & they last forever & will always clean up. No need whatsoever for paint.

I'm not a fan of engine paint.

I don't know, but it's been said to me that the alloy in the V11's isn't as good as the old stuff & needs the paint. I haven't investigated at all - I've been lucky with my Scura so far; paint has stayed on - apart from a couple of chips.

Compare the V11 alternator cover with one from a Tonti big block.

KB :sun:

I've just stripped the paint off the alternator cover (half of it had fallen off anyway)and polished it up. It seems a bit greyer than the one on my T3, but doesn't look at all bad - better than peeling paint anyway. Think I'll wait a few months and see how badly it corrodes before I do anything else.

The paint on my engine cases is coming off in lumps - looks horrible. It's not the famous blistering problem - that was fixed under warranty - but the paint they replaced it with is now peeling away from the engine case, and it looks seriously crap. So what to do? On my previous Guzzi (77 vintage T3) the cases were all completely unpainted, and while I probably spent a fortune on Solvol Autosol to keep the corrosion at bay, it looked good even after 25 years. So I'm toying with the idea of just removing the engine and gearbox paint on my V11 and leaving it unpainted. Think of the weight saving! Has anyone tried this? Is the alloy the same as on the old round case engines? Any advice welcome.

Grossohc's mate Harry stripped the paint off his and repainted with Harley crinkle paint- and did this I believe with the motor in situ. Did a good job from what I remember when I saw it.

Grossohc's mate Harry stripped the paint off his and repainted with Harley crinkle paint- and did this I believe with the motor in situ. Did a good job from what I remember when I saw it.

I did the same thing. http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9756&st=0&p=110415entry110415