UFI oil filters

well funny you shoud say that as I just did a replacment today, and the new UFI didnt fit in the factory removel tool :angry: got a feeling I will be needing to drop the sump when it comes time to replace it.

A couple of years ago the filter changed from an 8 flute to a 14 flute design. I got a bunch of 14 flute filters but then the last few shipments I've got have reverted to the 8 flute design.

Blokes in the US like Todd at MPH say ALL their filters have been the newer 14 flute design for ages. I have no explanation as to why I, in Oz, get 8 flute filters?

FWIW cap wrenches for either design are dirt cheap. If you can't find one locally at 'Wottalotacrap Auto' tell me which one you want and I can pick you one up for about $20AU and send it to you for what it costs me and postage. Or, if you want 8 flute rather than 14 flute filters? Gimme a how. I've got boxes of 'em!

Pete

shit Pete... would have to check but Im sure they were both 14ers, cheers for the offer.

Hey, back when I had my 1100i sport the local guzzi shop (the only guzzi shop) wanter $350 for the wrench, wankers just didnt want people to be able to do there own work, so as I was just back form living in Brissie I rang Newll's (think that was the name) and got one for $35

The 'Factory' tool is a massive and substantial piece of machined steel, but for doing up an oil filter? Complete overkill! Most 'Wottalottacrap Auto' type shops do pressed steel cap wrenches that are up to the task. Problem is they do tend to be a bit flimsy and if the filter doesn't want to come off it can be a pain. Given how little *stuff* there is to shed crap into the oil with any Guzzi motor and the fact the filter is HUGE in capacity I only swap mine every third oil change which for me is about every 20,000Kms. If I have to drop the sump to get the filter off? Mehhh! I've done it on every other Guzzi big block I've ever owned. Why should I have kittens about it with the 8V? Just make sure you have a sump gasket on hand as the original will almost certainly tear. Retail for a sump gasket here? Twelve bux. Once every 20,000Km. If that sort of thing is an *issue*? As I say to my customers, "You're riding the wrong motorbike! Get a Toyota Corolla!" :whistle:

Pete

That easily puts me off the hassle of changing my filter this time... thanks Pete.

When I do, it will be easily spun off as usual, noting whether the jubilee clip has moved the 1/4" to the pressure valve/stop this time...

Whenever I find one I can't remove (usually on my car) I bang an old screwdriver through it with a rubber hammer & use that as a lever. Hey, 350$ tools for something you're going to throw away?!?!

...Whenever I find one I can't remove (usually on my car) I bang an old screwdriver through it with a rubber hammer & use that as a lever....

if a strap wrench wouldn't turn it i used to use a screwdriver but now i am more refined - four self tappers threaded thru the sides of the cheapo filter wrench into the filter & a long bar.

if a strap wrench wouldn't turn it i used to use a screwdriver but now i am more refined - four self tappers threaded thru the sides of the cheapo filter wrench into the filter & a long bar.

Hwyl Cymro!

Have you become so refined in case the new UFIs are made of recycled cola cans & need a more perspicacious approach, or just for the joy of such precision?

...Hwyl Cymro!Have you become so refined in case the new UFIs are made of recycled cola cans & need a more perspicacious approach, or just for the joy of such precision?

Well I think filter was too tight & filter wrench just distorted it (maybe they're not as solid as they used to be ...or maybe it was the 8 flute filter wrench on a 14 flute filter) & I had begun to whince at the screwdriver through the flanks method - just too brutal. Self tappers work well. Maybe next: pointy screws thru captive nuts...

Hwyl! KB :sun: