V11 Le Mans vs Daytona/1100 sport

Avtrader

I currently have a V7 which is fun for scratching around the back roads or popping into town for a coffee. But I fancy something with longer legs and a fairing so I can go over to the continent and other such rides. I know the Daytona is a race rep and fairly aggressive but I'm sure I could do miles on it but I'm also quite partial to a nicely turned out V11 Le Mans. I was wondering, does anyone have experience of riding both these bikes? and if so care to share your views?

I currently have a V7 which is fun for scratching around the back roads or popping into town for a coffee. But I fancy something with longer legs and a fairing so I can go over to the continent and other such rides. I know the Daytona is a race rep and fairly aggressive but I'm sure I could do miles on it but I'm also quite partial to a nicely turned out V11 Le Mans. I was wondering, does anyone have experience of riding both these bikes? and if so care to share your views?

Welcome to the board. I've not ridden the Daytona, but owned a Rosso Corsa LeMans (my first love) for a few years and loved it. Sold it last summer in a moment of weakness and regret it. It was a very comfortable and pleasing ride for me. I'm sort of an old codger (late 50s) and I've read of people who complained of the "aggresive" riding position on the Lemans. They must has short arms, because it was very relaxed to me (6'3"), in comparison to my aprilia SL mille I owned before the LeMans. I would buy another LeMans except I just bought a replacement V11 for which I have had an eye for years . . . a Coppa Italia Sport. As you know, it has handle bars, vs. the LeMans clip ons. Definately a different riding position. With the LeMans you get the larger fairing for more wind protection. The LeMans can be set up with bags and a trunk for true long range touring. If I were new to the V11 game, I would not hesitate to pick up a LeMans for "sport touring," with the emphasis on "sport."

I have a Daytona and my wife has a V11.

The Daytona is a five speed and the V11 has six. The Daytona has a more relaxed, long-legged feel (taller gearing) as well as feeling a little more raw and unrefined. I call it a hot-rod tractor feel.

The V11 is a better bike from a technical perspective but I do love the Daytona. It has a lot of character. The Daytona is too uncomfortable for me stock, however. I modified mine to run handlebars and a V11 seat.

The Daytona is a five speed and the V11 has six. The Daytona has a more relaxed, long-legged feel (taller gearing) as well as feeling a little more raw and unrefined. I call it a hot-rod tractor feel.

The V11 is a better bike from a technical perspective but I do love the Daytona. It has a lot of character. The Daytona is too uncomfortable for me stock, however. I modified mine to run handlebars and a V11 seat.

Thanks. Very useful. Of course the Daytona could be considered a litte more "exotic" too. Would you consider touring on it?

shit man... were do ya start, 3 very different bikes, each un compearable. Owned all 3 so perhaps you tell us what you want?

Thanks. Very useful. Of course the Daytona could be considered a litte more "exotic" too. Would you consider touring on it?

In its original form I could not tour on the Daytona. When I was younger, maybe. I am not that old (45) but it has been hard with some broken bones and what not.

But I have removed the front fairing, switched to handlebars, and swapped to a V11 seat. I have no issues touring on it now, but it is a very different bike now. The V11 is a great bike. I would have bought one of those and been very happy. But instead I bought a Griso, a great bike in its own right but it lacks the raw sporty feel of the V11 to me. I still have it (the Griso) but a buddy of mine needed to thin his stable out and he sold me the Daytona I went with him to buy way back when. That was the first Guzzi I had ever ridden the day he bought the Daytona and told him if he ever sells it I want it.

• 2 months later...

I've had a Sport1100 with carbs for a while, and to me it seemed like a halfway house between the tonti-framed Le Manses and the V11. Mine had a straight-cut 5 speed gearbox which gave it a decidedly tractor-like feel and made a lot of noise, but the handling of the bike was superb. It felt more sure-footed than my V11 Scura but I suspect this is partly due to the tyres. Metzeler Z6 may be hard-wearing but I felt the Continental Contiforces on the Sport1100 offered better grip.

The driving position is killing though. The bike feels very long and the clip-ons are set really low. It is a very classy-looking bike and makes all the right noises.

Would I get one again? yes, but the first priority would be to raise those clip-ons.