v11 front crossover pipe woes

guzzi1

my 03 lemans has a loose and rattling crossover i've tried tightened it as much as possible and used 2 different high temp silicones all to no avail. does anyone have a solution? 2 parts suppliers have told me that they could get the replacement gaskets but they aren't cheap and the problem will reoccur. i searched this forum back to 2007 and tried keywording but no luck. plz help. thx, daveg

my 03 lemans has a loose and rattling crossover i've tried tightened it as much as possible and used 2 different high temp silicones all to no avail. does anyone have a solution? 2 parts suppliers have told me that they could get the replacement gaskets but they aren't cheap and the problem will reoccur. i searched this forum back to 2007 and tried keywording but no luck. plz help. thx, daveg

I would start by reading this "sticky" thread on the 24/7 forum.

my 03 lemans has a loose and rattling crossover ... i searched this forum back to 2007 and tried keywording but no luck. plz help. thx, daveg

I would start by reading this "sticky" thread on the 24/7 forum.

Good point OrangeOkie, but what the hell is that sticky doing on the top of 24/7 instead of Technical Topics? Just doesn't make any sense at all... [nerd]

:thumbsup:

Mine started flopping again, so last week I made a couple plugs out of aluminum, pulled out the cross over pipe, and clamped the plugs in it's in place. Have'nt noticed any difference in how it runs. I'm thinking of just having the cross over nipples cut off and welded over at this point. Guzzitech sells a set of pipes with this already done. Ed Milich, from that site and with a load of MG credentials, says after MANY V11 motor dyno runs/tune ups, that the front cross over isn't even necessary. Plus, then you have easy access to the timing cover.

I bought custom made stainless steel shims from todd@mphcycles.com. It feels very solid now. It also runs smooth around 2800-3000 now, so most likely it was a leak in the crossover that made the bike sneese. I think.

$ 75,- pluss 25,- for shipping to Norway.

There is a "final option." I settled on this option when the stock header pipe, on my Rosso, cracked. Very high quality, and the motor ran smooth and strong without the cross over pipe. (clic the pic for details)

V11SHdrs.jpg

Same as the 04 I asume? under the alt see my avatar pic

lossen the bolts at each end of the headers and balance pipe.

force some sealent in and around the balance pipe ends.

Get a tie down ratchet and wrap it around the headers and pull as tight as you dear.

Tighten up all bolts and remove tie down.

works well for 6 -12 months or when ever ya check tappet clearances and need to remove the alt cover. :thumbsup: