2000 v11 recall

Guest Jeff in Ohio

Guest Randy Turk

My dealer MOTO INTERNATIONAL in Seattle just sent me an email and my connecting rods are ok. I just need to have the tranny recall done. Will see whay cool stuff can be done to the transmission while they're at it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a bloke posted on Guzzi Club GB site saying he's had recall notice on 02 bike for conrod bolts/gbox stuff...It may be an 01 bike bought in 02 it wasn't clear. Not replied to my email. First I've heard of here -  Anyone else UK had one?

KB, Cymru :sun:

I received my recall notice yesterday 3rd December. My 1999 1st series V11 is subject to the 'Kit A' list of replacement parts. Coincidentally, I took my bike in yesterday for the 50,000km (31,100 miles) service and my dealer had also received his notice of the recalls - but no parts. He has to apply for the relevant kits, A or B, as and when bikes are booked in for the work doing.

Seems a shame to pull apart an engine that has been 99% perfect so far - but better safe than sorry.

I don't have the Kit A or B details to hand at the moment. I'll get a copy from my dealer later today.

It was the shift sleeve which shattered on my Scura - destroying the gearbox. The rear wheel did not lock up and I managed to find a gear to limp a couple of miles to stop. A piece of the sleeve did get jammed between one of the gears and the outer casing and popped a hole through the casing - it was the hissing of oil coming from the hole which alerted me to the real problem - I thought the shift spring had broken again...

This was a 2002 Scura, with the crincle paint, etc. It may have been built in 2001 - the serial number probably refers to when the entire bike is put together - not when individual components are manufactured - it is typical for low-volume manufacture to produce components such as gearbox castings in batches and use them over a longer period - my (ex) gearbox may have been an old one...?

Paul from Corsa Italiana rang me because he knew I had a new (2002) Le Mans :wub: - which was especially nice because I didn't even buy the bike from him.

He said the "A kit" was for early V11s and was conrod bolt related and the "B kit" was some sort of hose arrangement (he wasn't sure what at that time) and was for later bikes. As it happened my chassis number was not on the list - ZGUKTA...so no worries (no consolation for some of you folks though ).

Mal :helmet:

Baldini,

The Scura had about 11,000 miles on it when the gearbox went. It happened two days before I went to the IOMTT and waiting on the parts spoilt the dryest summer we've had in Scotland for years!! Hoping for better luck next year and planning on doing the Nurburgring again - the Scura was still standard the first time...

I just looked up in my Parts Manal and the offending part is 04 21 49 00 and in their pidgin engglish they call it "Moveable Hose 3-5-4-6" - (shift sleeve)?. In German Beweglich Muffe or in Italian Manicotto Scorrevole.

It looks like a ring with cutouts installed on the lower layshaft between 4th speed gear and 6th speed gear.

My bike # is ZGUKRAKR61M113782. Anybody would know if it is affected?(MY 2001)

The Scura had about 11,000 miles on it when the gearbox went.

Roberto,

Did you get any sense out of Guzzi as to why the sleeve broke? Interesting what you say about parts use in assembly...

I did see a low miles Scura about 4 months ago in London dealer w/disintegrated selector forks, pos same problem? Anyone here?

Tell us about the Nurburgring...

KB,Cymru :sun:

The demonic 'sliding sleeves' are engaged by the shift forks. As the shift forks are moved by the preselector plates they slide the sleeves along the shafts.

It's easy to see that the forks would suffer if the sleeves let go. :o

(er, KB, I've thunk and thunk, but . . ."CYMRU" ? ? )

Guest captain nemo

Yea, I stopped at Moto today and they said that as soon as the parts come in they'll take any '00 for the gear box change. They say no one will be affected by the rod problem as only a small handful of bikes very early in production were affected.

I'm relieved that the rod problem is not prevalent. And we all knew something was amiss with the gearboxes.

My Sport is now fitted with a new gearbox. I just have to try and find out if it is an early production replacement or, maybe it was built in early '02 with the brittle spring. Not that I'm pessimistic about the 6-speed . . . :rolleyes:

Like what sort of whay cool stuff?

Shimming?

Shimming was done to the shift drum of the 5-speed gearbox. But the 6-speed has plates, not the drum, so shimming is probably not an option.

An upgraded spring set in the shift mechanism is becoming a more likely option all the time . . .

Sealing the cases with something that is not olive oil based would benefit alot of these boxes that want to share their fluids with their surroundings.

And if dealers all over the world are going to tear down and rebuild 680 transmissions, I think we're going to learn alot about these boxes over the next year or so. :thumbsup:

(er, KB, I've thunk and thunk, but . . ."CYMRU" ? ? )

I thought it might of been Captives of Your Majesty's Royal Union, kind of like a POM, prisoner of her majesty, but I was wrong...

Here is a hint, Cymru am Byth

:bier: