New stuff

pete roper

What do you think that means? Just natural evolution – or did the tappets need a redesign because the current system isn't working or lasting well enough?

A number of screeching hysterics on some of the other boards have started saying that the falt tappet engines are 'Fundamentally Flawed' and the fact that the factory has gone to roller tappets on the my 2011 bikes is clear evidence of this.

:bbblll: I'm sorry, I have to call bullshit on this. There have been some reports of later tappets failing. Mainly in the UK and on the Iberian peninsular. There is, AFAIK, no evidence of systematic failure. There has also been a part # change for the fat tappets but I bought a set of the new ones and they seem to be identical to the V2 tappets so methinks it might just be a change of supplier!

The reason for the change is most likely down to NOISE! I heard one of the new roller tappet ehgines ina MY 2012 AU Stelvio in Sydney a few weeks ago and it is MUCH quieter than any flat tappet 8V I've ever heard.

The new Cali has rocker cover 'Covers'. Presumably to cover the plug-top coils and reduce noise again on that engine.

Also FWIW none of the 8V's I've had anything to do with have EVER suffered a tappet failure, including all the early 'Bad Tappet' models. This isn't because I'm a genius or a magician but I have been VERY careful about impressing on people the importance of servicing them.

Pete

The reason for the change is most likely down to NOISE! I heard one of the new roller tappet ehgines ina MY 2012 AU Stelvio in Sydney a few weeks ago and it is MUCH quieter than any flat tappet 8V I've ever heard.

NOISE sounds good. Why could you already hear one of those new engines? Are the roller tappets an update even for the smaller 8Vs (another new engine)?

Besides being quieter these parts are a good piece heavier as well so they're no real option for a high output sports engine

Hubert

Where was the snow, Paul? With all these trees around it was not that high.

On Sunday I erratically took the way over the Bernina, coming out at the bottom of Stelvio. Already soaked and cold I made it up to the Umbrail crossing and there I chickened out. Car drivers coming down from the peak told stories about at least 10cm of snow at top of the route, so I went down again via Umbrail and decided to go home in one sweep (2am on Monday :)) I had the option of staying overnight at Vipiteno at a friend but was glad I didn't because later he called me and said that on Monday the Austrian side of the Brenner was closed due to heavy snow. Funny now, sitting outside and expecting another last at least 20°C day.

Hubert

NOISE sounds good. Why could you already hear one of those new engines? Are the roller tappets an update even for the smaller 8Vs (another new engine)?

Besides being quieter these parts are a good piece heavier as well so they're no real option for a high output sports engine

Hubert

MY '11 bikes for Europe are already using the roller tappets. I only learnt about it about three days ago when one of the Guzzitech contributors put up a link to the 2011 Stelvio NTX parts page. It clearly shows the roller tappet system, (I'll dig the link up again if you can't find it.).

The new NTX is listed for delivery here as a 2012 model and wheen I was up in Sydney a few weeks ago they had one of 'Next Year's Models in that was here for homologation purposes and to be abused by the press. It was fresh out of the crate and Daniel hadn't had any info on 'Changes'. We noted changes to the camboxes and plug tube sealing but apart from its uncanny quietness, (Compared to previous models.) and twin O2 sensors there was nothing visible to suggest any other changes. You can't see the relevant bits of the lifters or the cam lobes from the 'Top' of the cambox.

This has prompted the aforementioned shrieking hysterics to immediately claim that all the flat tappet engines are 'Fundamentally Flawed' which is, IMHO and experience, total crap. While the system will have advantages from a mechanical point of view, (there are downsides too.) the most obvious immediately noticeable difference is the fact that the roller tappet motor is much, much quieter.

Pete

Snow was mondaymorning on all mountains, on the north side even on 1000 meter. This was at majola/silvaplana.

Splugen was closed but the Italians left the sign "open" on in Chiavenna..

Pete, I had the spare parts catalog in spring but never noticed the drawing change, well I noticed that an awfull lot of parts have changed. The 2011 workshop manual shows old pictures.... Ik looks like you ccould fit the whole 2011 valvemechanism on older bikes but it would be expensive.

What I noticed in Mandello is that my engine is real noisy when hot, and when cold again, it is quiet.

Oh, and Hubert, as for the ability to retrofit the system to the earlier motors? The answer is probably yes, but it won't be a simple case of swapping the camboxes. The valve springs have new part #'s too so it would be a 'Heads Off' job at least. Due to the different nature of the cam requirements it would almost certainly require another map as well.

All this is pure conjecture though. I have no more knowledge than you do really at the moment.

Pete

... as you wrote: it would need two complete heads to be swapped, probably. I meself would look for a 1200 Sport engine, just in case I would look, you know. I'm still so far away from the new engines ;)

Actually, as winter is near, I think of swapping the standard 2V tappets against wider/bigger ones. This would give some pretty nice camshaft options. The actual 22mm are used since the first V7 engine was built. That's no longer up to date with so powerful springs existing now. Would be nice if I could find some car based alternatives (meanwhile probably from a vintage car also).

Hubert

... This was at majola/silvaplana.

Splugen was closed but the Italians left the sign "open" on in Chiavenna..

Funny, we were talking about snowy Majola crossings just on Saturday :) With the Spluga closed you had not much options left then. I caught a hefty cold for the rest of the week btw.

I didn't expect this on Friday

kaunertal.th.png