Fuel Tank Nozzles

cash1000

What do the two nozzles/valves do that are under the tank of my V11RM as shown on the attached picture.

I have an intermitent fuel leak that I suspect is coming from these.

I've replaced the seals but it still happens.

Can I replace them with bolts to block off the holes?

DSC00526 (2) (640x480) (200x150).jpg

Hi I think the one on the left side when tank is fitted should have a hose attached that runs down and exits behind the starter motor, Its to vent fuel away from the engine if overfilled, I think the other is a breather and on my bike, and others, there's was no hose attached :thumbsup:

I believe one is the breather, the other is connected to the overfill hole visible when you open the gas cap.

On my bike each has a clear plastic tube running down to about where the horns are mounted.

No, I wouldn't block them off, perhaps run them down to a small bottle, that way you would be able to tell if anythings coming out.

You say intermittent, does it just happen after filling, that could be normal.

You can find either fuel or water draining from these outlets. Rather than blocking them up, the issue is more normally that you need to unblock them. They can become blocked with muck or corrosion and need to be poked from time to time. The top end of these tubes, under the filler cap, also become blocked. The whole drain system benefits from a clean-out.

Shouldn't that photo be posted over on the Hooters thread?:blush:

Docc, aren't you on the road to Birmingham? No texting while riding :race:

• 5 weeks later...

The fuel leak happened again today.

This leak is not just a few drops.

Over a couple of minutes it leaves a puddle about half a metre square on the ground.

At times leak is so bad bike will only run on full choke.

Leaks appears to come from above about cylinder head height.

I took tank off and checked the two valves were tight and hoses were attached.All ok.

Put tank back on and started bike - no leak!!!!!!

Then went for a short 60k ride - no leaks.

Went out to bike about an hour after I got back and started it - no leaks.

What is going on here?

Any suggestions

• 7 months later...

Found out cause of fuel leak - faulty fuel filter. This leak was intermittent so hard to trace. Ended up following flow of fuel from tank replaced fuel lines to filter. Thought solved a couple of weeks later leaked again.replaced lines from filter to fuel injection still leaked could only be fuel filter. The seal at rear of filter wasn't sealing in one place. Filter was a Guzzi one! So replaced filter no more leaks at last.

So, Cash - (good news!) . . . how many miles (km) on that fuel filter?

Good question. The RM is Japanese import. It only had 3000 kms! on odo when I got it 4 years ago. Its done 20000 now. I suspect it has done more but it was a good price. So fuel filler good be old....

So, Cash - (good news!) . . . how many miles (km) on that fuel filter?

The RM is Japanese import.

That bike won't have had a hard life before you got it then, unless it was ridden by a track-day nut. They're only allowed to do like 50 mph over in Japan and most Japanese market large capacity chain-drive bikes have special sprocket ratios because of it. Not much you can do with a Guzzi shaft tho' in those circumstances, eh? Feel sorry for 'em.