OK, the Buell thread

Guest captain nemo

Excellent!

In shot one the pipes look perfect.

In shots two and three it shows how up and out it points, which I am not sure if I like.

You probably don't want to leave it out in the rain with the muffler pointing up like that.

But it only drizzles in Seattle, and the crossover is SS.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly interesting, but I agree that from the front the angle of the exhausts looks OK, but from the rear and rear-quarter they seem to stick up and out a bit more than my personal taste would care for :huh2:

I'd be concerned about the longevity of the rattle-can header paint... well almost any rattle-can paint's durability long-term. But especially on the headers, the high heat will undoubtedly make it look leprous in short order. You might want to check with someone like Jet-Hot. I know they have colored coatings, although I don't know if they have white. Their coatings are pretty inexpensive, very durable, and lower exhaust heat.

Also, keep an eye on those exhaust tips if you've only put them on with J.B. Weld. As you know, these bikes vibrate quite a bit, and those heavy tips are really going to get a shaking and put stress on that joint. If anything, I'd use the same exhaust clamps as are on the stock cans to hold them on. Keep an eye on the crossover itself too, as again those big heavy tips flappin' around on the ends of those crossover outlets will put additional stress on it.

Interesting work though :thumbsup: Certainly 'different' ^_^

al

Guest captain nemo

I tend to agree with you guys that this doesn't quite make it. I will take the whole thing off the bike today. Is 'Jet Hot' a company that sells paint, or a franchise that does the painting? Anyway, what I'd like to find is a short elbow joint that would allow me to again turn the exhaust pods more in toward the bike. Does anyone know where to look for something that might fit? I'll go to Home Depot today and look in plumbing, but maybe there is a better place to look.

Also - I'm very curious to know about the change in performance and what you guys think. Granted, it needs to be checked again and tuned - but, for my information, why does the bike have less throttle sensitivity and takes more time to wind down now during engine braking? I think it also does not rev as fast. Are these signs that I might be running too lean now? Or that I need more 'back pressure.?'

Guest captain nemo

Is that a Ducati? I like it. Yes, I've mainly started to dislike the pipes and cans going back and messing up the look of the naked wheel - since I started looking at the G&B stuff. I wanted to paint because the pipes are honey and the pods were chrome. And then there was the crummy J&B cement seal I used. Not cool. I've always liked white on pipes and it matches the spring. I could be talked out of it, but I think I need paint to smooth the whole look out. If I can find the right elbow joint to put on the crossover, I could get a better look.

By the way Jaap - the usual link to your site that I had been using does not work anymore and lots of people can't get in. I got this link from Al who I depend on for all sensible and organized information....... :notworthy:

one of the guys at the shop was telling me he sees ghuys that just cut pipes off just after the cross-over. i can't iamgine how loud that is but..

i'm afraid i have my heart set on the furia exhaust. are they still breaking?

Is that a Ducati? 

By the way Jaap - the usual link to your site that I had been using does not work anymore and lots of people can't get in.  I got this link from Al who I depend on for all sensible and organized information....... :notworthy:

This is an Aprilia 6.5 (designed by Phillipe Stark) Don't know if this was sold in the US.

The usual link should work again (Thx Al) You could use this direct link in the future:

Direct link to forum

Don't forget to add it to your favourites!

Yep, Jet-Hot is the way to go IMHO for coating the exhausts. Several folks on the forum have used them, and they are a top-notch operation. Check out the discussion below:

Forum Exhaust Coatings Thread

Regarding your solution Nemo, here's a suggestion: as the stock exhausts are pretty cheap anyway, you could pick up a set of them for about $50, and cut off the elbow that goes leads into the cans from the crossover. This would give you the bend/tuck back toward the rear of the bike, and as a bonus, they have the proper exhaust clamp welded on and are nice high-quality stainless steel :thumbsup:

Then you could look at attaching a small silencer like the ones you used, or something similarly small.

That would be the best looking, durable, and cheapest solution to getting the correct "look" I would think.

Check out eBay, there are stock LaFranconi exhausts on there all the time. I just saw a silver set for about $50 the other day. Or just check with your local dealer, as they usually have tons of "take offs" that people discard when changing out to aftermarket mufflers. They may even have a damaged pair they'll give you, as all you need is the lead-in tubes, and would be tossing the actual cans.

Just a thought...

al

Guest Thundering Subash

Captain,

I find it liberating the exent to which you've transformed your V11 in such a short amount of time. What the factory created, and the previous owner added to, you've managed to strip away or artistically alter without hesitation. Rock on Captain Nemo!!! :thumbsup: While I can mostly sit back and benefit from what others have done, you boldy choose to go where no other Guzzi owner has gone before. :notworthy: You are an inspiration to V11 owners everywhere.

:mg: -Chris

I have been slowly working a quat-d style muffler. Made out of 20ga steel from the hardware store. I am trying to create a internal similar to flowmasters to control sound, also going to have exit on both sides. If I ever finish I'll post some pictures. So far it has only cost me about 20 bucks. I like the idea of the short mini mufflers though, I might look into that instead.

Guest captain nemo

well, today while I was out working, I also stopped in a Schucks autopart to see that they had. Bingo. They had just the pipe to swing back the pod closer to the bike. They also had some other exhaust pods and I decided to pick up a bit larger one that has a larger diameter. I think the other pods are too small at the opening and restrict the flow. These are way more open. (I think my problems running the other pods was a symptom of being restricted.) Then I came home and completely took off the headers and the crossover. (no more painting anything still on the bike!!!)

I really like how the combination is going to look. Now I will either have the plating people do my headers in gloss black powder coat, or I will contact Jet Hot for a nice finish spray that will hold up to abuse. When done I will repost the pics. It should be much better. Thanks for the advice Al, and thanks to everyone else for positive comments. :thumbsup:

WOULD POWDER COATING BE OK FOR HEADERS? IT IS WORKING FINE ON MY VALVE COVERS. JUST WONDERING....IT LOOKS GOOD, ITS GLASSY, AND ITS EASY FOR ME TO DO HERE.

Powder coating is just "dry paint"... and would similarly fail. And especially in the case of PC, it is applied by melting it at a few hundred degrees F, so it would probably soften and come right off the headers.

The only durable finish on headers would be a ceramic coating like Jet-Hot offers.

al

Guest captain nemo

Contacted Jehot. I will package everything up and send off tomorrow i'll brobably go with the sliver/nickel plating, but I haven't yet seen samples. I to want max protection. Hey ......Ford Blue sounded pretty cool.