rectifier

hgravelpha@aol.com

Follow this topic from WildGoose and I would go this route because of price and ease of installation. Close to the bottom of the topic is a link to what regulator Kev ended up using.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=49414.0

Good Luck,

Mike

Follow this topic from WildGoose and I would go this route because of price and ease of installation. Close to the bottom of the topic is a link to what regulator Kev ended up using.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=49414.0

Good Luck,

Mike

+1 on that, Kev has picked out one that looks really good, it eliminates several weak wiring points.

I have spent a lot of time with the Ducati Energia, I think it's a good unit just badly applied although the V11 Sport has one of the better Guzzi wiring schemes.

If your charging is weak add a decent ground strap, on the V11 the regulator is bolted to the horn bracket which is bolted to the bike, neither of the connections are electricaly sound and the small black ground wire Luigi provided is totally inadequate, the current through the ground peaks at over 30 Amps. I ran a short wire (about 6") from a rectifier lug to a timing case bolt.

Another cause of weak charging is melted diode leads inside the regulator, that can be fixed with an external diode.

Do use shakeproof washers on all connections to ensure a good circuit.

The shakeproof (star washers) was a good way to make a good connection (for grounds), then a few years ago, General Motors (I was a GM tech for 30+ years) came out with a bulletin stating NOT to use the star washers and just to have a good clean surface. My guess is that moisture will creep into the connection and oxidation will occur causing a poor connection over time. So, I take their advice as they know and see alot more than I.

Just a thought,

Mike

Do use shakeproof washers on all connections to ensure a good circuit.

The shakeproof (star washers) was a good way to make a good connection (for grounds), then a few years ago, General Motors (I was a GM tech for 30+ years) came out with a bulletin stating NOT to use the star washers and just to have a good clean surface. My guess is that moisture will creep into the connection and oxidation will occur causing a poor connection over time. So, I take their advice as they know and see alot more than I.

Just a thought,

Mike

I'm a great believer in the power of Vaseline on electrical joints, it excludes air and moisture thus preventing corrosion, at least that's been my experience over 50+. Actually any greasy substance will do the same but vaseline is not so messy, cheap and available everywhere.

Steel and Aluminium in a wet salty environment like the V11 regulator location, is that good? :oldgit: