MG Clutch/Flywheel ,Removal/Installation Tools

mznyc

New clutch ordered for the Scura,but needs friction plates so trying to save scratch by renting or borrowing a set of clutch tools ,as I hope to only do this job once!

Thanks

Michael

New clutch ordered for the Scura,but needs friction plates so trying to save scratch by renting or borrowing a set of clutch tools ,as I hope to only do this job once!

Thanks

Michael

would the 5 speed tools work? I will gladly lend out my big bolt, spacer and extra input gear (from a 5 speed). send pm.

Thanks

Michael

would the 5 speed tools work? I will gladly lend out my big bolt, spacer and extra input gear (from a 5 speed). send pm.

Hmm don't know I'll call MPH if no one chimes in here.

Thanks foto!

You also could just go the cheap way but it is more time consuming. All you need is a large bolt that fits the center of the crankshaft and a large washer to compress the clutch springs and plate (the washer has to be large enough to catch the spring plate and small enough so you can remove it from the clutch disc splines). You then eyeball the clutch plates for alignment. Yes, the right tools would be easier, but this way did work for me. Also, when you put the trans up to the engine, have the transmission in gear so you can rotate the output shaft to catch the clutch disc splines. And don't force the trans to the engine, it should slide up pretty easy, if not, your clutch plates are not aligned good enough, back to step one :oldgit:

I think the bolt size is 12mm with a 1.5 thread pitch.

Mike

Thanks

Michael

Hmm don't know I'll call MPH if no one chimes in here.

Thanks foto!

• 1 month later...

MG Cycle finally restocked alignment tool so ordered that and flywheel locking tool

Would it be necessary to remove the hub in this operation if it's undamaged ? Assuming I don't need the hub nut tool,...

Thanks

Michael

PS I'll loan them out if any others need to do this down the road .Hopefully start after the holidays and if there's no delays caused by problems or part that I may need that I don't know about yet ,I should be done by late January.Figure it may be a start and stop job as I'm working in a small unheated shed.

If the hub looks ok (no wear on the splines) , there is no need to remove it. Yes, one less tool needed!

Mike

MG Cycle finally restocked alignment tool so ordered that and flywheel locking tool

Would it be necessary to remove the hub in this operation if it's undamaged ? Assuming I don't need the hub nut tool,...

Thanks

Michael

PS I'll loan them out if any others need to do this down the road .Hopefully start after the holidays and if there's no delays caused by problems or part that I may need that I don't know about yet ,I should be done by late January.Figure it may be a start and stop job as I'm working in a small unheated shed.

Dont know about Guzzi clutch plates.

But on a Beemer, if you tape together 8 wooden pencils, sharpen only the one in the middle and stick it out a little, it gives you the perfect alignment tool...

Probably wouldn't work on Guzzi clutch plate I guess...

But on a Beemer, if you tape together 8 wooden pencils, sharpen only the one in the middle and stick it out a little, it gives you the perfect alignment tool...

If that's not a wives' tale ,that freakin cool that someone figured that out.What # pencil?

Airheads or all of them?

The clutch hub for the Scura single plate clutch is completely different to the one for the twin plater. You'll need the hub and the two shaft o-rings and I'd suggest a new seal as well.

Pete

Thanks for the heads up Pete

Bummer,I was hoping to avoid replacing the hub as their over a hundred US,oh well.Also means I need the tool .

I had planned on sending MI or MPH an email after the holiday to see what else I would need but that heads me in the right direction Cheers mate,:bier:

for an Italian bike you use paint brushes!