Gosh how hard can this be

devildogg

Yup I already did a search but there is way to much to filter through. I am good enough mechanic to know when not to use my usual method of brute force to accomplish a task on the Guzzi, So how the heck do you disconnect the fuel line from the tank, I mean without breaking it , I can already do that on my own :rolleyes:

DSCF0887.jpg

Yup I already did a search but there is way to much to filter through. I am good enough mechanic to know when not to use my usual method of brute force to accomplish a task on the Guzzi, So how the heck do you disconnect the fuel line from the tank, I mean without breaking it , I can already do that on my own :rolleyes:

DSCF0887.jpg

Short, snide answer? Use the Search function! :rolleyes:

Longer, less obnoxious answer:

Needle nose Vise-grips w/ the tips adjusted to where they won't pinch the fuel elbow; stick the tips btw the elbow & the grey collar; support the elbow while pushing the fuel line toward the elbow; lever the collar away from the elbow w/ the tip of the Vise-grips*.

Some folks say they can do it with just finger pressure, but for me, the line is very fond of the elbow & doesn't want to become unattached...

Oh yeah, I hope you covered the area w/ rags, because the fuel in the line tends to dribble everywhere... :luigi:

* - I like using needle-nose Vise-grips instead of just regular needle-nose pliers because there's no temptation to bear down on the elbow by gripping the handle of the pliers tightly while levering, since the Vise-grips can be adjusted for minimum closure before attempting this trick.

I think that one of the main reasons why people have problems doing this is that they are trying to do it whist there is still pressure in the hose which will lock the fitting in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SYAS5xsUlo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU3jKjwBuQA

Be very careful the angled spigot (red) will break if forced and they cannot be replaced without the fuel pump at 100's of pounds.

This is on my V11 but other Guzzi models the procedure would be the same. It is preferable to have a near empty tank because of the weight. I have removed the bolt holding the rear of the tank and placed a block of wood under the tank to give easier access to the petrol pump fittings. Have an old rag to hand as even once de-pressurized there will still be some fuel left in the hose and pump

1. De-pressurize the fuel system by disconnecting the wire to the pump and then try and start the bike. (if you leave the hose under pressure you will get an unpleasant shower).

2. Hold the the red fitting in one hand and with the other hand first push the coupling together, then with index finger and thumb pull the outer ring back(towards the hose) and then with a gentle wiggling action pull the couplings apart

Wow thanks guys, great responses, nice video, Skeeve I did try the search function, HONEST, but after a certain age my puter skills just are not what they used top be :rolleyes:

I can't run the bike to relieve presure I store it in my basement, I have the tank empty but I will rap everything in rags before I undo the fitting

probably should let the fireplace go out first also ;)

Wow thanks guys, great responses, nice video, Skeeve I did try the search function, HONEST, but after a certain age my puter skills just are not what they used top be :rolleyes:

I can't run the bike to relieve presure I store it in my basement, I have the tank empty but I will rap everything in rags before I undo the fitting

When I first came on here and used the search it seemed to give me 200 unrelated posts. :huh2: Finally realized you needed to use relevance on the search.. :homer:

Nice video but by and large not the story.I purchased a used fuel pump and plate assy complete with the connectors still in place and no hoses.Spent 30 min trying to get the connectors off and went to the internet for some clues before I broke something.

Found the solution there but i can tell you now it had zero to do with relieving fuel pressure.

I've been an aircraft engineer for 35 years as well so it wasnt an issue with mechanical skills either.

All I can say is congrats on your current situation and methodology,just dont get used to it because it wont last.

ciao

When I first came on here and used the search it seemed to give me 200 unrelated posts. :huh2: Finally realized you needed to use relevance on the search.. :homer:

sure I could have done that but, hey none of us would have got to see that great video :P

I tried fuel line disconnect (shrugs shoulders)

Anyway once I was confident in what I was doing after seeing the video both conections came off easy peezy no drama, no gas spray, no broken spigots, Thanks guys