Poland 1.22

Portugal 1.50

Slovakia 1.46

Slovenia 1.31

Spain 1.33

Sweden 1.48

Switzerland 1.38

UK 1.58

Quote > Italy has been run into the ground by the previous administration (the flamboyant Berlusconi), and the current Prime Minister is stuck with the bill. It's a bit like getting to the dinner table at an expensive restaurant for dessert, and finding out you're stuck with the bill.

Italy has been trying everything they can to stave off bankruptcy, and one way of doing it is to bleed its citizens to tax death. Since most Italians love motorized vehicles (just look at the biggest & sexiest manufacturers of cars and motorcycles), the one area they can get money from is fuel.

This year alone already saw 3 gas tax hikes, and now the new Monti government has added €0.10 per liter to an already very high fuel price (already Italy in October had the 2nd highest fuel price), making it Europe's most expensive gas price (regional authorities can add an extra €0.01 local tax).

With a public transport system that is cracking under the pressure, with no money to pay for fuel for their cars and motorcycles, it's going to be interesting to see how things progress in Italy in 2012.

Will an Arabian Spring Revolution hit Italy? Or will the Italians shrug their collective shoulders and continue the way they used to? But one thing is for sure, there will be a lot less motorcycle buying, and motorcycle riding. Which is a pity.

--------------------------------------

Quote > Italy’s new Premier (and his unelected government of technocrats) calls the massive 30 billion euro ($40.5 billion) austerity package “Salva Italia” (Save Italy) and it’s all in spending cuts and tax hikes (blood and tears).

Today the government further raised taxes on gas and for the fourth time this year (three times by the previous Berlusconi government); so in 2011 while financing cultural projects, helping fleeing immigrants from war torn Libya and paying for effects from the devastating Tuscan and Liguria flash floods in November (and still paying for the 1935 Abyssinia War and the 1956 Suez Crisis), now drivers and riders in Italy will now have to dish out an extra 10 cents (including VAT) per liter to help save Italy from default.

Regional governments can also slap on extra one cent to help pay for public transportations costs that were cut in a previous spending bill, but it doesn’t stop here because on January 1st, the Monti government has already programmed another tax hike on gas.

I think that Italians can forget the Ducati 1199 Panigale or any motorcycle, because the only two wheels many Italians will be riding next year will be bicycles.

caro_benzina_01_02.jpg

What they're all actually riding as far as I can see is scooters - and they're having a blast doing it, the traffic's very scooter-friendly.

Italian public transport is *paradise* compared to the crap we've got back home - and still very, very cheap. But yes, the price of petrol here makes my eyes sting.

... so in 2011 while financing cultural projects, helping fleeing immigrants from war torn Libya and paying for ...

Where do you find your quotes? The above would legitimate a slightly more acurate description than just that rather skinny "from a couple of places on the net".

Hubert

• 3 weeks later...

The prices in post #1 are about the same as here in NZ $2.20 as for US prices well the states do have one of the largest oil suplys in the world, they just choose to drain the rest of the world 1st so Id hope its cheaper there.

*waits for a hiding*

Last ten years I commuted with my Guzzi in Athens(about 15.000 km/year),

which with an average consumption of 6.5lt/100km

means 975 lt/year.

Recently I bought a 250cc scooter for commuting, 3.5 lt/100km average consumption = 525lt/year for the same km.

It is depressing to ride the "thing" :thing: , but with fuel prices the way they are and salaries going down

I tend to forget the pleasure I took riding at work on a Guzzi.

But one thing is for sure, there will be a lot less motorcycle buying, and motorcycle riding. Which is a pity.

Happy new year

Many Italians tend to use utilitarian vehicles like Fiat Pandas and scooters so I'm guessing that on average they use less fuel than other countries where big cars are popular status symbols.

Maybe if a new Italian currency is devalued to help support growth then it will be a cheaper place to visit.