Bucket list roads,I must ride these before my time!

I will buck the trend by stating flatly that I do not care for hairpin switchbacks.

Stelvio makes for pretty pictures,but contrary to what the article says about "putting a smile on any enthusiasts face", banging down thru the gearbox and hard on the brakes every 200 meters is not my idea of fun.

Give me fast sweepers at above 5000 rpm please :race:

Of all the roads I've ridden, California's Highway 1 still remains at the top of my personal list :wub:

I will buck the trend by stating flatly that I do not care for hairpin switchbacks.

Stelvio makes for pretty pictures,but contrary to what the article says about "putting a smile on any enthusiasts face", banging down thru the gearbox and hard on the brakes every 200 meters is not my idea of fun.

Of all the roads I've ridden, California's Highway 1 still remains at the top of my personal list :wub:

Yup PCH-1 is a road that every sport touring rider should do at least once ,just for the scenery alone.Ive done it several times.But when I'm not admiring the beauty there's about 100 roads in CA that I would gravitate towards before 1.And that's not including the hundreds if not thousands I haven't been on.I love the the challenge of hitting a turn at the perfect speed,braking point,apex choice ,lean,cracking open the throttle and correct exit.I love getting into a rhythm on a long set of sweepers equally (in Ca that can be (20-30+ miles!!)

When you get to the top of a pass like Stelvio,I just love the awe of looking down and marveling of the engineering of it.

By the way there are many less-switchback type roads on the list.I could't attach any more pic because of size limitations. :race:

+1 :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why the Florida highway was on it. I've ridden it...and it's straight. It goes up and down a bit.

Two roads you'll never see, but I enjoyed riding a lot (in the US only- no Euro roads in this list) are Highway 50 across Utah/Nevada- also straight, but really stark, and Highway 395 on the east side of the Sierra Nevada's. Again- just really interesting scenery.

But, as with any holiday roads on the best-of list, part of the equation is the time you had on that road.

Aw hell, I like most of them. Who am I kidding....

I fully agree with Orson. I've done the Stelvio a couple of times, first time just after a big snowfall and even though it's a challenge that you feel you must do it's not actually that much fun. Best to avoid weekends when it's very busy.

Ive had the pleasure of riding Highway 1 and was surprised how quiet it was- stunning views. I enjoyed it so much I proposed to Helen on the beach at a place called Lucia Lodge.

Enjoyed the Great Ocean Rd in Australia too which is very similar to Highway 1 and just as twisty.

I'd love to try this one:

http://vimeo.com/m/8010978

...Stelvio makes for pretty pictures,but contrary to what the article says about "putting a smile on any enthusiasts face", banging down thru the gearbox and hard on the brakes every 200 meters is not my idea of fun.

Hm, this might be based on a very common misconception of the Alps and the streets there. The point is NOT to be very fast on the straight parts. You normally start low down, in warm and green landscape, and end up very high in a totaly, at least very different environment, cold and rawboned. In-between lays no racecourse but constant search for the correct line, timing the overtaking, smooth shifting, listening to the engine,things like that. Take the hair-pin bends in second, the straights in third, max. fourth. With this concept and on a Guzzi you do a favour to yourself and to the landscape. Besides that you won't be the last one at the top - mostly because of the second gear in the bends.

Hubert

Hm, this might be based on a very common misconception of the Alps and the streets there. The point is NOT to be very fast on the straight parts. You normally start low down, in warm and green landscape, and end up very high in a totaly, at least very different environment, cold and rawboned. In-between lays no racecourse but constant search for the correct line, timing the overtaking, smooth shifting, listening to the engine,things like that. Take the hair-pin bends in second, the straights in third, max. fourth. With this concept and on a Guzzi you do a favour to yourself and to the landscape. Besides that you won't be the last one at the top - mostly because of the second gear in the bends.

Hubert

I skipped the Alps cuz I'm a wuss - well, mostly because I was in a hurry to get somewhere - and took the Autotrain from the Netherlands down to Alessandria in northern Italy; if you're ever down that way, the Autostrade (toll roads) in that neck of the woods are *fantastic*. The Italians are great highway engineers and they've had some very dramatic landscape to play around with there.

I just did Stelvio in Sept and it is a beautiful area and was great to see it and say I rode it but as said above the pics are really better than the ride. It is basically a series of u-turns (blind on the uphill) with cars, buses, bikes, and motos in your lane at various times. Downhill when the road was clear was really fun as the turns keep coming so you have a chance to correct what you screwed up the turn before but just when you are enoying yourself some a-hole will come around the corner staring you head on.

Must do/redo and redo again rides:

Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive - 575 miles of scenic sweepers, tunnels, overlooks, flora and fauna (catch it in the spring or fall, I have gone 100 miles without seeing another vehicle on the road) At the bottom of the BRP you can hit the Cherohala Skyway, Deals Gap, out of the Gap 28-28/64 all the way down to Highlands or Cashiers, nice roads and lots of rushing water.

I just did Stelvio in Sept and it is a beautiful area and was great to see it and say I rode it but as said above the pics are really better than the ride. ...

You were also down in Mandello at the GMG this September?

You probably won't find many people which would count the Stelvio as one of their favourites. For most it's for sure just something you gotta have under your belt.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did Stelvio in Sept and it is a beautiful area and was great to see it and say I rode it but as said above the pics are really better than the ride. ...

You were also down in Mandello at the GMG this September?

You probably won't find many people which would count the Stelvio as one of their favourites. For most it's for sure just something you gotta have under your belt.

Yes, decided to celebrate my birthday and Guzzi's at the same time. Rented bikes from Agostini MG (AAA+ experience) and rode all over the region(1000 KM) the week before the GMG and then turned the bikes in and stayed for the event. Had a great time and hope to do it again, maybe catch a race at Mugello and ride the Tuscan region next time. It rained the last day of the event and the Monday after and I felt bad as we were in a taxi to the airport in a driving rain we passed dozens of soaked bikes with France and Belgium plates. Been there before, soaked and a long ride home, hopefully it dried out after they got out of Italy.

Riding a Guzzi in Italy and hitting Stelvio on a Guzzi was definitely bucket list stuff for me!

Big fan of Germany too, used to go quarterly for work and always took two weeks to complete 3-4 days of business. Been all over and loved it especially Bavaria, beautiful riding areas down South. Have been through your town before and it is beautiful with the castle on the hill.

Tschüß

Had a great time and hope to do it again, maybe catch a race at Mugello and ride the Tuscan region next time.

I rode in the Langhe Hills region of Piedmont after I attended the GMG.

Pictures here

It was like a smaller version of Tuscany without the hordes of camera toting Japanese and American tourists :)

I've done some of these including the Transfaragin in Romania, all good, (always good to ride your bike) The Transfaragin is always pictured as shown on the web site, what they don't tell you is the other side heading south is shit, badly surfaced and full of potholes the size of small cars. I've ridden many roads which I've enjoyed more but maybe not with the same views at the top. The road from Invergarry to Kyle of lochalsh (in Scotland) is about perfect in my opinion, nice bends, little traffic mostly, no severe braking just 60 miles of flowing riding, and if you want the Alpine pass at the end head over to Loch Carron and then tackle the Bealach na Baa (Below)

Bealach%20Na%20Ba.jpg