How good are your brakes?

MixxedupMedia

Hi people: New here on this forum, just bought a 2002 LeMans

My brakes are great, that is, until this morning! While braking for the 2 speed bumps here at work, my my rear brake line popped off the banjo fitting on the rear caliper !!!

I was using rear brake only, just to give it exercise. At the 2nd speed bump it felt like I popped a brake line. At the m/c parking area, I could see a small amount of fluid that had dripped. I can't believe my eyes...the line popped off the barbed? portion of the banjo fitting! The crimp collar is still there on the banjo fitting, and the line is totally off.

A few ???'s:

Are the factory lines braided SS? This is what the bike has (I bought it used about 2 months ago).

Anybody else ever have this happen?

Was there a recall on these lines?

My opinion is that I should be able to "stand" on the rear pedal, and the lines should take the abusive pressure. (It is a good test for brake line integrity.) Yes, I was leaning a bit more than normal, because I was using rear only, but not nearly enough to lock up the rear wheel, either. I'm talking like 50 feet between bumps, and maybe 15mph back close to 1 or 2 mph.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running EBC organics. They require more lever effort than on bikes past, but I really like the feel with the guzzi... very deliberate and progressive.

I had a stuck caliper piston as well. I was worried about scored pistons ect. but finally solved it by dumping all the pistons and flushing the caliper with fluid. I believe I may have forced debris into the seal during a pad change by retracting the pistons without thoroughly cleaning the thing. I won't cut that corner again.

Just got off my friends SpeedTriple for a comparison. It is an effective weapon for sure, with brakes that are well matched to it's aggressive nature. But I think it is all what you're used to. Some bikes want a handful of lever to stop and others require just a finger. I like two fingers with deliberate force required. It is part of why I like the Guzzi. Modern bikes keep getting more and more sensitive to input, I just want to enjoy my ride knowing that when I want to do some carving, the bike is capable.

My opinion is that I should be able to "stand" on the rear pedal, and the lines should take the abusive pressure.

My opinion too. Seriously shocking!!

Not par for the course as far as I have heard: Guzzis have different vices, heh heh!

:drink::food::bier::rasta::vomit:

Shouldn't let it put you off: get it fixed and move on, thanking your lucky stars it was at 15 not 115.

We've all had stuff happen on bikes that shouldn't over the years (e.g. new chain snap at 80mph - not at soft link either, swing arm pivot bolt shearing at speed).

That's your bad bit out of the way: enjoy the rest.

Andy

My opinion is that I should be able to "stand" on the rear pedal, and the lines should take the abusive pressure.

My opinion too. Seriously shocking!!

Not par for the course as far as I have heard: Guzzis have different vices, heh heh!

:drink::food::bier::rasta::vomit:

Shouldn't let it put you off: get it fixed and move on, thanking your lucky stars it was at 15 not 115.

We've all had stuff happen on bikes that shouldn't over the years (e.g. new chain snap at 80mph - not at soft link either, swing arm pivot bolt shearing at speed).

That's your bad bit out of the way: enjoy the rest.

Andy

Thanks Andy! And yes, Thank the Lord that it was just a speed bump, not someone's rear bumper, deer, etc.

It's just that I've NEVER seen one blow off the fitting. I have popped OEM rubber type hoses on one of my older cages...(but then again, that had some sort of external abrasion area--or was it my wife with her nail file?)

Are the factory lines braided SS? This is what the bike has (I bought it used about 2 months ago).

Yes, with a plastic coating. There's nothing wrong with the factory lines. Maybe this was an aftermarket piece?

Thanks Andy! And yes, Thank the Lord that it was just a speed bump, not someone's rear bumper, deer, etc.

It's just that I've NEVER seen one blow off the fitting. I have popped OEM rubber type hoses on one of my older cages...(but then again, that had some sort of external abrasion area--or was it my wife with her nail file?)

BTW if you're new to V11s:

DO check the shock absorber eye on the swing arm - that is prone to splitting open into a C on the Sachs shocks (maybe others too) and is not easily seen without getting the wheel and/or hugger off: my V11 passed the annual UK MOT test with the split opening up: that shouldn't happen but they're not allowed to dismantle viehicles for the test here so wouldn't see it in a static or rolling road test.

Haven't heard of catastrophic failure yet (as in suspension collapse & loss of control), but who'd want to be the first?

Glad I spotted it first (replaced with a Hagon shock w/o external reservoir BTW - seems fine for my riding style).

See various other posts in the forum for 'Gallery of Horrors' examples!!

Andy

BTW if you're new to V11s:

DO check the shock absorber eye on the swing arm - that is prone to splitting open into a C on the Sachs shocks (maybe others too) and is not easily seen without getting the wheel and/or hugger off: my V11 passed the annual UK MOT test with the split opening up: that shouldn't happen but they're not allowed to dismantle viehicles for the test here so wouldn't see it in a static or rolling road test.

Haven't heard of catastrophic failure yet (as in suspension collapse & loss of control), but who'd want to be the first?

Glad I spotted it first (replaced with a Hagon shock w/o external reservoir BTW - seems fine for my riding style).

See various other posts in the forum for 'Gallery of Horrors' examples!!

Andy

Thanks again for the RE's. Looks like the factory line to me. Plastic coating over the SS braid.

Andy: My rear shock has been replaced with a Wilburs shock... Yes, I am new to the V11's. I did buy a Sport 1100 about 8 months ago, but I have it apart a bit to repair the low fuel light (broken wire at the Amp connector), and "while I'm in there", I'm fabricating a air filter frame to eliminate the filter box lid. She's way too quiet with the factory intake!

Question: Why do the V11 machines use the frame for oil? I think that's what I'm looking at, anyway. Is it for cooling a bit? Or oil/air separation? BTW, I've had a share of Ducati's, BMW's, and use to have a V50 Monza for the wife years back. Almost wish I still had that Monza!

These V11 ladies love to drink!

...Question: Why do the V11 machines use the frame for oil? ...

Actually they don't. They use the frame for venting the crankcase. More precisely, they use the frame to separate blown out oil from the air and to condense the fumes/vapors.

Question: Why do the V11 machines use the frame for oil? I think that's what I'm looking at, anyway. Is it for cooling a bit?

Breather chamber I believe, not oil in frame, doesn't carry oil 'cept emulsion maybe?

Question: Why do the V11 machines use the frame for oil? I think that's what I'm looking at, anyway. Is it for cooling a bit?

Breather chamber I believe, not oil in frame, doesn't carry oil 'cept emulsion maybe?

Actually they don't. They use the frame for venting the crankcase. More precisely, they use the frame to separate blown out oil from the air and to condense the fumes/vapors.

Wot he said! Sorry, cross posted, Hubert!!

Am breaking in my new Brake Tech cast iron rotors and so far they have done the job. Black coating has come off but that was expected. Good bite from the Ferodo pads, too.

Haven't done any emergency braking so far but all in all they worth the money spent.

Cheers

Søren

Brake Tech cast iron rotors

I use Beringer cast iron disks on my 1999 V11 Sport and Beringer Aerotec Radial MC for brakes and clutch with Brembo carbon-ceramic (organic) pads.

Far superior to OEM Brembo in terms of efficiency and feeling.

Beringer Web Site

Braking is powerful, even using only 2 fingers.

I use Beringer cast iron disks on my 1999 V11 Sport and Beringer Aerotec Radial MC for brakes and clutch with Brembo carbon-ceramic (organic) pads.

Beringer Web Site

Nice!

The UK dealer (Corsa Italiana) is close to where I work, so I might just be passing one day with a credit card... :rolleyes:

AndyH

Am breaking in my new Brake Tech cast iron rotors and so far they have done the job. Black coating has come off but that was expected. Good bite from the Ferodo pads, too.

Haven't done any emergency braking so far but all in all they worth the money spent.

Cheers

Søren

Brake Tech cast iron rotors

Beringer Web Site

Can you post pics?

Hi people: New here on this forum, just bought a 2002 LeMans

My brakes are great, that is, until this morning! While braking for the 2 speed bumps here at work, my my rear brake line popped off the banjo fitting on the rear caliper !!!

I was using rear brake only, just to give it exercise. At the 2nd speed bump it felt like I popped a brake line. At the m/c parking area, I could see a small amount of fluid that had dripped. I can't believe my eyes...the line popped off the barbed? portion of the banjo fitting! The crimp collar is still there on the banjo fitting, and the line is totally off.

A few ???'s:

Anybody else ever have this happen?

Was there a recall on these lines?

My opinion is that I should be able to "stand" on the rear pedal, and the lines should take the abusive pressure. (It is a good test for brake line integrity.) Yes, I was leaning a bit more than normal, because I was using rear only, but not nearly enough to lock up the rear wheel, either. I'm talking like 50 feet between bumps, and maybe 15mph back close to 1 or 2 mph.

I have some brake parts that I purchased from eBay............do you need a rear brake hose ?

Gene