Unfortunately, the Guzzi fashion boffins applied the alligator skin finish to the engine instead, but that's another story.

:notworthy:I bow to ya, thanks for explaining! now I know what to call the engine dressing on my '02 Lemans lol

I have a 2002 V11 Le Mans and my engine didn't get the POX so can someone explain a Y or a what for this so i can sleep at night without wondering if and when this might happen to mine,Tanks.

It could be one of those Chinese copy V11s. They used particularly strong, but toxic, industrial waste gel to stick the black stuff on, whereas the Italians were as sparing with their engine glue as they were with the grease.

Open your crankcase and see if 'Made In China' is stamped inside.

If your tyre valves have turned to cheese and cracked, or the clutch is rattling, it's a fair indication that you've got one of the Chinese Guzzis. The thing probably smells bad too.

The plus side is, the black stuff sticks well, though in your case it's faux alligator skin, not real stuff.

...my engine didn't get the POX so can someone explain a Y ...
It could be one of those Chinese copy V11s.... not real stuff.

You may have one of the rareSupremo Lucido Speciali bikes, handcrafted in an aerospace-quality environment in a secret workshop hidden from the accounts department in the mountains behind the factory, for only a few months in 2002. Each wrinkle was individually crafted by a hand-picked team of Mandello's most talented & committed artisans, using only the finest materials & most exotic ingredients. It should give you many more years of service.

KB :sun:

....Each wrinkle was individually crafted by a hand-picked team of Mandello's most talented & committed artisans, using only the finest materials & most exotic ingredients. It should give you many more years of service.

Was that the team that also worked on the Barbera Cartland? Those were the days.

....Was that the team that also worked on the Barbera Cartland?

No. She came out of Triumph's experimental department in the early 1960's. It's said she was developed alongside the Fanny Craddock at BSA as a two-pronged bulwark against the looming Japanese threat. Unfortunately the pair could not compete on price, features or continence with the new products from the East & the project was abandoned. The rest is history.

KB :sun:

Unfortunately, the Guzzi fashion boffins applied the alligator skin finish to the engine instead, but that's another story.

:notworthy:I bow to ya, thanks for explaining! now I know what to call the engine dressing on my '02 Lemans lol

I have a 2002 V11 Le Mans and my engine didn't get the POX so can someone explain a Y or a what for this so i can sleep at night without wondering if and when this might happen to mine,Tanks.

It could be one of those Chinese copy V11s. They used particularly strong, but toxic, industrial waste gel to stick the black stuff on, whereas the Italians were as sparing with their engine glue as they were with the grease.

Open your crankcase and see if 'Made In China' is stamped inside.

If your tyre valves have turned to cheese and cracked, or the clutch is rattling, it's a fair indication that you've got one of the Chinese Guzzis. The thing probably smells bad too.

The plus side is, the black stuff sticks well, though in your case it's faux alligator skin, not real stuff.

My alligator finish seems to have stayed stuck on as well (late 2002 model, 2003 plate). Perhaps they never stirred the tin of paint and all the good stuff was at the bottom.

Mind you the horns are rusty disks of shite. Perhaps further indication of chinese manufacture. Just as well I can never find the horn button when I am looking for it. I rely on hand gestures and revenge.

Mind you the horns are rusty disks of shite. Perhaps further indication of chinese manufacture. Just as well I can never find the horn button when I am looking for it. I rely on hand gestures and revenge.

Yeah, the Chinese models don't have a horn button.

The battery couldn't cope.

Do you have clips under the seat for a starting handle? (I know there's no point in asking if the starting handle itself is actually present.)

Yeah, the Chinese models don't have a horn button.

The battery couldn't cope.

Do you have clips under the seat for a starting handle? (I know there's point in asking if the starting handle itself is actually present.)

Nah. But I have a 'Wok Oil' sticker on the side panel.