What happened to my speedo?

docc

I guess it's "damned if you do, damned if you don't" .... :P

A lot of people had trouble with the angle drive "exploding" because of the stresses on the plastic shell.

But then again, many have been fine... including mine(knocking on wood) :huh2:

Personally, as I am a fan of the KISS(keep it simple stupid) principle, I would prefer a single cable run though, as long as it worked fine.

al

Ok,let's see: there is no angle (bevel) drive on the '03. The odometer drive in the gearbox drives the black face ITI directly. The upper end of thet cable looks too small to drive the older Veglia. Can't just change cables.

The '03 box is flat black( not the '02 wrinkle black). My replacement box is silver but I can't figure out another reason why the bevel won't turn. It did have a bad gear in it but I replaced it with a good one from my old speedo.

I'm hoping to retrieve my old odo drive from the trashed gearbox and see if it will turn the cable. i'll get those part numbers tomorrow. My guy at the dealer was out today.

Andy was in the shop today and we spent alot of time studying the parts and diagrams.

Apparently the '00-'01 Sport uses the odometer drive 04 76 25 00 while * '02 * and "03 use 04 76 25 60.

My former dealer is sending me the drive from my munted gearbox for comparison. We shall see . . .

AAARRRRGGHHHH!!! Another bevel drive bites the dust! :cheese:

While experimenting with some shimming to bring the internal shaft of the bevel drive in contact with the gears in it, I noticed that the brass base was visible between the plastic housing and the threaded collar. I pressed the base into the housing with the vise and , voila! Contact. :D

Apparently the base had migrated out of the housing, dropping the internal drive shaft out of contact with the internal gear. If you can see brass between the plastic housing and threaded collar, your bevel is coming apart. :o

If it tries to come out again, I'll epoxy. In the meantime I've ordered a new bevel drive . :thumbsup:

The mystery remains about the part number changing for the odometer gear drive from '00-'01 to '02-'03. :huh2:

However, the speedo now registers a higher speed than I am doing - e.g. when travelling at 50mph the speedo reads 80mph, 100mph is off the scale!

Roberto,

After asking around, I wonder if your new gearbox has a kilometer drive? You need to check with a dealer on the continent for the part number on the speedometer ( odometer) drive. The mph unit for the 2002 should be 01 76 25 60.

I'm still not understanding :huh: .... are you suggesting that the drive gear inside the gearbox is different, or should I source the new bevel (angled) drive. Note that the angled drive I have is from the original bike, and I have tried another one from another Scura. Although these were both '02 bikes they probably didn't have the updated part.

Is the angled drive a reducer gear? (I haven't checked). If so, it's possible I have an '03 gearbox which does not use the angled drive and thus there is no reduction required - and thus I will need a new speedometer and cable to match the gearbox.... :moon:

I'm not giving up....I've lived without a speedo on the old Lemans for years - but it had a large reserve tank and a range not far off 300 miles. I want my speedo back! :angry:

I appreciate the help Docc - is your speedo working correctly now? Have you been out for a test run?

After I pressed the bevel drive back together in the vice, the speedo works and is smoother than ever. I ran out of fuel the first day with no odometer. The fuel light came on right as the bike quit for good. It only took 4.6 US gallons. But that's another issue I'm working on.

The bevel drive is not your problem. It's the part the bevel screws down onto. This is a short shaft which screws into the box itself. It is the same for '02 and '03. The question we need answered is what is different on the kilometer bikes. If it's not that 'speedometer drive' then what? Maybe the Dutch riders can help. They use kilometers, yes?

Tomorrow morning I'll scan a photo from the shop manual showing this part.

Talking with Andy today on the phone, i must agree with him. The only way to rotate the speedo driveshaft at a different speed is to change the drive cog on the main shaft. :(

Other options include installing the correct gearbox with the mph drive already in it or getting a kph speedo and learning metric. :huh:

• 4 months later...

So I just had the recall on the tranny done and 8 miles down the road the speedometer fails.

When I get home I take the cable apart and everything appears to be fine.

I can turn the speedo with a drill with the drill attached to the part between part 5 and 6, so all appears well.

I suspect the part between part 5 and 6 is no longer long enough and that part 5 now sits too low. however when I measure it, it appears to be the correct length.

I am confused.

The other possiblility is that the cable or part 6(angle drive) is worn.

Sometimes when I put it together it will work, and then it stops.

I am going to try the drill test again and maybe take it back to the dealer.

But right now, I think I need a bicycle speedo.

Picture_5.gif

....never mind.

Thanks Docc!

The same thing happened to mine.

I put it in a vice and all was fine.

Part number 6 was starting to come apart, presumably because when it was reasembled, it was not keyed in, so when part 6 was tightened on to part 5, part 6 started to come apart leaving too much distance between moving parts.

So, when you reattach part 6, be sure that everything keys into place!

That makes sense that the bevel drive is being pushed apart from tightening it down against the short driving shaft when it is not keyed into place.

2000 miles on mine since sqeezing it back together and no problems. :thumbsup: