What happened to my speedo?

docc

After mounting the new tranny in the sport the little shaft doesn't appear to reach the bevel drive to turn the speedo cable. I noticed the new '03 models don't have a bevel drive. Is the cable now longer to drop deeper into the drive from the gearbox? :huh2:

I'm ridin' it anyway, figuring my Veglia speedo will last longer this way. :D

...a Guzzi without a working speedo...it's good to know that, in this ever changing world, some things will always be around ...

Stay safe docc, especially now you don't know how fast you're going!

KB, Cymru :sun: (it's Welsh for "Wales") :)

...a Guzzi without a working speedo...it's good to know that, in this ever changing world, some things will always be around ...

:lol: How true this is. I have close to 200K miles on my G5, but the speedo says 75K. eh, whaddaya gonna do?

cheers,

j

80% of the time tirg gear is NOT your friend.

what can this mean? :blink:

KB, Cymru :sun:

obviously it's in Welsh.

Babel Fish doesn't seem to give Welsh to English translations, but Portugese to English must be pretty close:

"tirg to frost"

Now we're getting somewhere.

Anyone have a photo?

motion guzz

Yesterday the dealer in Nashville seated me at his terminal and turned me loose on the on-line parts site.

As Paul says, there is no ( cheap, breakable) 60* bevel drive on the '03. The cable attaches directly but has the angled tube to avoid contact with the throttle rod. The upper end of the cable differs as it attaches to a smaller connection on the ITI speedo versus the Veglia ( which has the same thread at both ends).

Also, the gear drive ( screwed into the gearbx) has a different part number. I can only assume the new gearbox Guzzi provided me must have the gear drive for the later cable allowing the short bevel drive shaft to drop in just a little too far and loose contact.

I looked at shortening my cable housing to make a direct connection and loose the bevel drive but 1) it's crimped together and 2) it hits the throttle cable.

I'm thinking I may have to get a replacement geardrive and see if it will then turn the crappy little bevel drive.

Surely we can somehow improve on this little glitch? :huh2:

Docc, how does your new gearbox differ from the old one?

I had a complete gearbox change earlier in the year and everything was replaced as normal, including the angled drivebox between the gearbox and speedo cable. However, the speedo now registers a higher speed than I am doing - e.g. when travelling at 50mph the speedo reads 80mph, 100mph is off the scale!

Have I got an '03 gearbox? (Note that the new gearbox is painted in a flat matt black - not the crinkle crap.)

What do I need to get my speedo to work properly again:-

...a new cable?

...a different drive gear?

...a different angled drivebox?.... :huh2:

Help me someone - the dealer doesn't have a clue and my "milage" is rising rapidly....(well it would if I hadn't disconnected the cable).

After studying the parts diagrams I can only figure the 'odometer drive' differs.This is the part screwed into the right side of the gearbox that the bevel drive ( or '03 cable) attaches to. It has a new part number for '03 and is configured to drive the cable directly to the ITI black face speedo ( no bevel drive).

I'll get part numbers and post back.

It kind of blows my 'no contact' theory since yours matched up and drives the bevel box. :huh2:

Docc,

I've got no idea if my new box is an '03 model. I was at the shop last weekend and swapped the angled drive for another (their idea) just to check if there was any difference within that - with no effect.

Does your new gearbox have flat matt-black paint? I've never seen an '03 bike.

Docc, do you have part numbers for the 03 bike? In the old gearbox the bevel is 04762500, same on new bike? Maybe it has a different gear ratio, to support the new speedo?

When I get my new gearbox for the scura, I have the same problem.

new speedo to from guzzi???, and a tacho also to get the same color?

And yes, the 03 engine is flat black.

OK, it sounds like I need to get an '03 cable.... :blink: - the gearing must be different within the gearbox. I quite like the angled drive - the new version may be getting back to the flawed speedo drive system on the 5-speed guzzis.