Standard Exhaust Can fitment advice please

Dazguzzi

Hi, i would like some advice please as to the correct fitment of the STANDARD Guzzi Cans fitted to me 2004 V11 Le mans.

The query revolves around the exhaust can Hanger brackets which are bolted to the cans and as to which side of the actual Bike hanger bracket they are supposed to be fitted.

I can see that the Exhaust can fitted to the right hand side of the bike ( when seated on it ) has a bracket which has a larger bend in it causing it to extend further away from the bike than the left hand side can which has a bracket with a smaller throw. See Photos.

P1010520.jpg

P1010521.jpg

As a result , if i fit both of the exhaust cans to the inside edge of the Bike hanger bracket the exhaust are no longer symetrical or equidistant from the wheel.

P1010523.jpg

Am i supposed to leave the right hand side can on the inside of the bike hanger and the left hand side to the outside?

This would even things up a bit but it still seems strange. NONE of the exhaust can brackets have ever been removed or reversed and the bike has never been dropped.

Cheers Darryl :unsure:

Hi, i would like some advise please as to the correct fitment of the STANDARD Guzzi Cans fitted to me 2004 V11 Le mans.

The query revolves around the exhaust can Hanger brackets which are bolted to the cans and as to which side of the actual Bike hanger bracket they are supposed to be fitted.

I can see that the Exhaust can fitted to the right hand side of the bike ( when seated on it ) has a bracket which has a larger bend in it causing it to extend further away from the bike than the left hand side can which has a bracket with a smaller throw. See Photos.

Photos ..?

Hi, i would like some advice please as to the correct fitment of the STANDARD Guzzi Cans fitted to me 2004 V11 Le mans.

Photos ..?

Hi, i was editing photos when you posted. Now inserted. Thanks Darryl

Probably every bike that comes out of the factory is different depending upon what mood Luigi was in.

I cant remember what mine was like new with std cans, but I have always fitted pipes with the silencer bracket to the inside.

The design of the bike is naturally twisted and whatever you do it will always look a bit wonky from the back.

On mine the left hand one fits to the outside, the marks on the exhaust hanger bracket where it comes into contact with the metal spacer in the rubber bush on the pillion hanger indicate this. Also if I try and fit the hanger to the inside the hanger bolt heads would clatter against the hugger and the pipe will not marry up with the pipe from the collector box.

CIMG2479-1.jpg

CIMG2466.jpg

CIMG2471.jpg

CIMG2469.jpg

whatever you do it will always look a bit wonky from the back.

And here's me trying to forget my first love :wub:

Well, i have gone for putting the Nearside (UK) one to the outer edge of hanger and leaving offside can on the inside of hanger. When measured from edge of rim to cenre of backbone of can both are now almost identical.

Oh i feel a Honda Engineering Quality Control moment coming on :huh2:

This has always bugged me too. The early V11's I have looked at have identical brackets (large bend) on both sides and have symmetry. If you can persuade someone to part with the early brackets get em. I found there are lots of brackets sitting around on stock pipes but persuading the owner to just part with the brackets is difficult. Making a set seems the best solution. :thumbsup:

Yeah, they all seem to be wonky from the back but I'd say your main considerations should be:

1. Nothing should bind moving parts (swing arm, etc.) and

2. All the pipework fits without strain.

If this latter condition isn't met I can foresee breakage coming somewhere in the exhaust or mounting system 'cos those vibes will make short work of any stressed parts they find. Vindictive buggers.

• 2 weeks later...

The swingarm itself is asymmetrical needing the extra clearance on the shaft side. If you look at some of the other pics I think you might find they share your bikes exhaust placement.

This ^

Am i supposed to leave the right hand side can on the inside of the bike hanger and the left hand side to the outside?

This would even things up a bit but it still seems strange. NONE of the exhaust can brackets have ever been removed or reversed and the bike has never been dropped.

aye what?

both should be on the inside

righty does stick out further tho, kinda obvious why when you think about it yeah?

aye what?

both should be on the inside

righty does stick out further tho, kinda obvious why when you think about it yeah?

NO, it's not obvious why, Yeah?

Several other manufacturers manage to combine a shaft drive and keep the silencers symetrical. BMW Yeah?

In addition, the silencers on my California are symetrical hence my query had someone fitted the ones on the V11 incorrectly

If it was so obvious i would not have asked and OBVIOUSLY several others would not have answered in a civil manner, some expressing the same concern. Yeah?

Thanks for your help, most useful and greatly appreciated.