gauge cluster swap

Twin AH

Was wondering if any one out there has ever/or is it possible to swap gauge pod cluster from a early model V-11 to the later generation V-11.

I realy like the chrome and white faces of the earlier models............... what would be the best way to tackle this? any one done it yet??

Regards;

Was wondering if any one out there has ever/or is it possible to swap gauge pod cluster from a early model V-11 to the later generation V-11.

I realy like the chrome and white faces of the earlier models............... what would be the best way to tackle this? any one done it yet??

Regards;

Hi

should be a straight swap. Later V11s only differ technically from the earlier ones in the frame which had additional bracing particularly to the engine, better engine mapping, the addition of lambda sensors, and a balance pipe across the headers. Swapping the cluster as a unit is easy, just three screws attaching it to the facia, disconnect speedo drive and supporting electics, and swap out. You will have to unscrew the trip knob which has a LH thread, and undo the 4 nuts which hold the pod rear on. As I recall, there are then standard gauge retaining U shaped brakets which come off with one knurled nut each.While you have the opportunity, pull the sppedo cable out and oil it with a mixture of grease waterd down with light lubricating oil. This will prevent the binding which destroys the angled speedo drives at the speedo, and on earlier V11s the gearbox, both identical cheap plastic things which are now nearly unobtainable. 45 mins work.

Please be aware that early whitefaced tachos are not known for their reliability, Ive repalced two in 18K miles. A good indication seems (anecdotally at least) to be that if the tacho initally mists up after starting it will survive; the ones that don't seem more prone to failure. Something to do with the dissiptaion of condensation I expect.

Keep smiling.....

Guzz

Thanks Guzzimiester............. sounds like you may have done a few????? If I were looking for the white face gauge cluster what year would be a good one.....is it possible to order a new white face cluster and if so how much?? any ideas.

thanks in advance.

From my intensive shopping last fall, I can honestly say that V11 gauge clusters are EXTREMELY few and VERY far between!!

Most parts are also NLA.

I looked far and wide for a month without finding even a HINT of one. The closest I found was a Cali cluster which looked the same, on Ebay Australia. It sold for about 460$

I gave up and bought a Koso instead.

From my intensive shopping last fall, I can honestly say that V11 gauge clusters are EXTREMELY few and VERY far between!!

Most parts are also NLA.

I looked far and wide for a month without finding even a HINT of one. The closest I found was a Cali cluster which looked the same, on Ebay Australia. It sold for about 460$

I gave up and bought a Koso instead.

Well now this is getting interesting........... have been told that i can buy brand new/ (say /03 Scura gauge cluster ) but the geer sets for drive on speedo is not compatible.

and from what I wes told ,could be not fun or even doable??????????

Just trying to find out if any one has really done it before and what was involved.

thanks all.

I had to fab up a cable to fit my V11 Sport, it has a gearbox at each end. I bought a kit

from Lordco. The hard part was getting a square end, I finally heated the inner up to burn

off the oil then saturated it with JB Weld to make it solid so I could file it square.

When I get around to it I plan on adapting a LeMans cable Yamalama gave me and do away with

both gearboxes.

I thought I could just do away with one gearbox but then I realized I would have to ride

in reverse, I didn't fancy that LOL

Interesting this kit to adapt a "normal" cable to the early V11 and eliminate the problematic/expensive/unavailable bevel drives. Tell more, post pictures! :pic:

• 3 weeks later...

I will be selling my white-faced 2000 sport gauges really soon if any of you are interested (whole pod assembly). Sadly, the tach light is off more than on. They both read dandy though. Any reasonable sum will do.

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to swap the early white face Vag with the ITI is to use the gear drive from a 5 speed. They're a different gear ratio. Now, maybe the V11 Vag is the same gear ratio, but *I think* the threads on the back of the tach are different. I'd make sure before going ahead, at any rate.