Paint stripper

Paulsmartv11

tried using paint stripper to remove paint on rear bevel box,but it had no effect !!!

I know paint stripper is not as powerful as it once was due to a ban on a key ingredient.

I don't want to have it blasted, as i just want to touch it up, any ideas what will work?

Paul

tried using paint stripper to remove paint on rear bevel box,but it had no effect !!!

I know paint stripper is not as powerful as it once was due to a ban on a key ingredient.

I don't want to have it blasted, as i just want to touch it up, any ideas what will work?

Paul

I used Nitromors when I wanted to strip the paint off my cafe racer's yokes and fork legs- worked well as long as I used loads, let it soak in then the paint peeled off in big lumps. Was quite theraputic watching the paint bubble, then peeling it off. Had to do a bit of scraping on crevices.

Cheers

Guy

Paul

I used Nitromors when I wanted to strip the paint off my cafe racer's yokes and fork legs- worked well as long as I used loads, let it soak in then the paint peeled off in big lumps. Was quite theraputic watching the paint bubble, then peeling it off. Had to do a bit of scraping on crevices.

Cheers

Guy

I didn't find Nitromors or any other over the counter medication worked too well. In the end I did most of the work with wirebrushes, either hand held or on a drill, followed by wire wool of various grades. Just remember to drain the oil first - which I didn't and it all came out the breather cap. The drill brushes got a bit aggressive so you have to be careful. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid getting them blasted: see my post about my rocker boxes. But if you were to do that you'd have to take it all apart first and then rebuild it all which I suspect is not a trivial task. With the wirebrush route I just masked the relevant bits and sprayed up again with a good (German) make of Aluspray and while not to shop brand new standard it's miles better than the state it got in and I'd bet a whole lot more durable than the original finish. Time will tell.

Ask her if you can put the covers in her dishwasher, should get hot enough to shift any residual blast material, the dishwasher that is.