So did I almost kill myself

rex007can

I just replaced my rear swingarm and hugger, thanks to some generous people on this very forum. Took me about 3 hours to do the swap. The break is the result of a crash described somewhere else here. At the time, I couldn't see the full extent of the damage because the hugger was in the way. But now that I can see the whole thing... It does seem a lot worse than I first thought, considering a rode it a little bit with the broken piece in there...

6973912939_76ed3d1c45_b.jpg

6827794822_95c6b725c4_b.jpg

6827796232_3884552880_b.jpg

I guess I lucked out... eh?

First rule modern machinery, the whole has to be dissembled prior to restart. These wops respond poorer than most after laying down. The whole has to be taken apart and looked at, @#!#$# me you are one lucky boy.

It must have ridden like a drunken pig with that mangled swingarm. You couldnt have gotten around the block before you knew something was really wrong.

Wow, didnt you notice the handling was a little out ?? Care to give me some numbers for the lottery on Friday ? you are one lucky guy. Mind you, last time I came off I just jumped straight back on and tried to ride it away until I noticed the footpeg was pointing backwards and the gear lever was missing. Adrenalin and pride have a lot to answer for. Makes me laugh when guys who have a spill in moto GP try and get straight back in the saddle without a cursory check . . . I guess that a 150mph corner is as good a test as any to find out if the frame is bent.

Oh yes, it was handling really badly, but I only used it 3 or 4 times, inner city to get to work, before I had to put it away for the winter.

At the time, I knew it was bent so I didn't want to go on a real ride or at any kind of fast speed.

I just didn't know it was cracked so badly too!