Relay Testing

Kiwi_Roy

Preliminary - I will refine this with some feedback, please offer your critique.

I am hoping the relays on all our bikes are in the same sequence, if not please advise your model and relay order.

Here goes

If you are stuck beside the road with a dead bike and you suspect it may be a bad relay here's how to check them out

Pull all 5 relays and with the bike in neutral try them one at a time in the start relay spot, Slot 1 on most V11s I think.

(you may need to take the bike off the prop stand for the starter to crank)

The start slot gives the relay a pretty good workout, an inrush current of 40 - 50 Amps and requires good contacts for the starter to crank.

Once you have tested each relay take two that you know are working and put them in the ECU and Power slots (4 & 5 I think), Now when you turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump prime for a couple of seconds (you may need to take the bike off the prop stand)

Put another good relay in the starter slot and the bike should crank, start and run however if you still have a good relay put it in the headlight spot (slot 2)

Notes:

1/ If the bike has several 4 pin relays and one or two with 5 pins the only slot that needs 5 is the start relay the 4 pin variety will cause the starter to crank but the fifth pin is used to power up the headlight relay. Five pin relays can be used in every slot.

2/ The safety relay slot doesn't need a relay for the bike to run once off the propstand, this relay keeps the bike running on the stand in neutral

3/ Once the bike is running the start relay is no longer required for running but still used to power the headlight

Once you are safely home in the garage you can get a bit more scientific

Relay is it energized.pdf

• Like 1

You are very much more scientific in your approach than I am.

my relay testing usually stops at:

Take seat off

Turn ignition on.

Tap relays.

Whichever one goes "click" when I tap it is the defective one...

I usually keep 4 spares in the space behind the seat.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to replace my relays. Is there a good source to purchase from? There used to be someone on the list who was selling them. I checked Autozone and they were really expensive.

Thanks for any help

http://www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm

I have used Dan from the above link to supply 2 complete sets so far. His prices are superb and bearing in mind he is based in Michigan which is across the atlantic for me, the service is second to none.

Only place i would use now. :thumbsup: