Helmet Pol  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand helmet do you wear?

My first hemet was an Arai, my dad swore it was the best thing out there - in the 80's it probably was, still is probably. Since then I've ALWAYS had an Arai. They fit wonderfully, beautifully finished and frankly the double D ring is the perfect design for a snug strap every ride. However my quantum F is looking a bit tired and is probably due repalcement... I will buy another Arai.

BUT is it worth shopping around? If so which brands are as good/ better? Or am I simply so loyal to Arai that of I bought a

nything else I'd find fault with it?

And I thought I throw in a poll for fun.

Ta

Pete :helmet:

I dunno, I guess it depends on your head shape. I had a few cheap HJC modulars that I liked the fit of but considered kind of disposible, and changed up every couple years. I then bought a Nolan, which was considerably more expensive, and though the quality is better and it's lighter (than the HJC) it just doesn't fit all that well. I'm going to look at the Schuberth S2 or maybe a Shoei modular, but only 'cause it's been a good year at work and I need a new one. Who knows. I do know that I like the modular flip-ups, even though they are louder.

Black Shoei Raid, bought it in 2002. It still sits tight enough and has its first screens (the standard and one pinlock equiped). Real great deal. Only downside is that it's monochrom black and as far off of an Ago or Read replica as a helmet could be.

Hubert

i had a simpson bandit for years (in red)that i really liked.

then i got an AGV spectro (a gift), liked it also, i still use it for winter, the foam is worn out, but it allows me to use a thick fleece balaclava inside for warmth.

spring summer is AGV S-4; couple years old, fits good, & visor stays up fairly well at speed, if i'm so inclined.

these helmets all have a rather small shell, which allows me to comfortably look behind or any direction while riding.

i dislike a helmet that hinders head movement while trying to look around.

cheers, s

I dunno, I guess it depends on your head shape. I had a few cheap HJC modulars that I liked the fit of but considered kind of disposible, and changed up every couple years. I then bought a Nolan, which was considerably more expensive, and though the quality is better and it's lighter (than the HJC) it just doesn't fit all that well. I'm going to look at the Schuberth S2 or maybe a Shoei modular, but only 'cause it's been a good year at work and I need a new one. Who knows. I do know that I like the modular flip-ups, even though they are louder.

Felix,

You might want to give Shoei a try if your HJC fit you well. HJC and Shoei seem to fit my melon best among all of the helmets that I tried on. My RF1000 is getting old but it's holding up much better than the HJC did.

Felix,

You might want to give Shoei a try if your HJC fit you well. HJC and Shoei seem to fit my melon best among all of the helmets that I tried on. My RF1000 is getting old but it's holding up much better than the HJC did.

Good to know, Tom...I'll take a look as I've heard good things about the RF1000s. How's the wind noise? I ride with plugs usually anyway, but it'd be nice to have a quiter one.

I had been a Arai guy for 15 years or so.Quantums.Love how they fit .But each model I felt the quality of the peripheral stuff(air ducts,side plates) started to suffer.As they have always claimed to be superior in QC to other brands and charged as much or more this was unacceptable.One day I was riding down the road and the top air vent flew off.Inspected it and it was held on by a double sided tape-like gasket.On a $600 helmet?Come on Arai.

Since I ride in full leathers all summer I figured I would try a modular to get more air when coming to stops or gas.Thought the Nolan was a good balance of quality and value.Very happy with it for several seasons now,but a few weeks ago threw the old Arai on and couldnt believe the difference in comfort,sound and weight.Im due for a new one so I think Im going for the new Arai Quantum II .Give them one more chance.

Moto-journalists for years have recommended to replace your helmet every five years due to deterioration on the foam liners over time.Since this is the single most important piece of safety gear we can wear that may be something we should heed.(Unless your a Harley guy,then a protecting your head is not that important) I think stretching a helmet to ten years is pushing your luck.I'll let someone else crash test that theory for me. :unsure:

My Quantum is exactly ten years old and I ride a lot. You're dead right mzkyc I should have changed it a while back $60 a year for a helmet is amazing value. Love the comment about HD riders. I don't think they need hemets either as their heads are probably solid concrete in the first place LOL.

I'll end up buying an arai...

I have mainly had shoei,s am using a raid2 at the moment , also have a agv airtech with the moto guzzi logo but i cant get on with it, nothing wrong with the helmet, just the shape of my napper. Going to buy the new shoei neotec shortly, like the idea of a sun visor.

I have mainly had shoei,s am using a raid2 at the moment , also have a agv airtech with the moto guzzi logo but i cant get on with it, nothing wrong with the helmet, just the shape of my napper. Going to buy the new shoei neotec shortly, like the idea of a sun visor.

I have an AGV as it fits my head and accomodates my big nose. I also like to pretend I am Rossi, so need the graphics. I also have a black visor as it works for me in the low sun at this time of year. Hey, bit of a rebel eh ?

Why do you need a sun visor in Scotland? I would spend my money on waterproofs. :grin:

My wife and I are both Arai people. We have other, less comfortable helmets that have features like the flip down internal sun visor (great feature) but they do not have the fit and feel of the Arai so they are usually used for shorter rides. I love the fit and feel of Arai's, but I wish they would start to offer some of the features others are starting to. I think they feel that a simple but well made helmet is enough. Sometimes it is but other times it is not.

Two things about Arai's, in the USA they are very tight about who can sell them and for how much, and they are the only ones I am aware of that offer different fits for different head shapes. The right way to buy an Arai is from a shop that knows and sells a lot of them. Such a shop will spend time to find the version of Arai that fits your head right whether it is the one you thought you wanted or not. In the mid-Atlantic area of the USA that shop is The Service Pavilion. I am not from there but I have dealt with them and even if I did not buy the helmet from them they replaced a broken plastic part no questions asked. They show up at the Indy MotoGP race every year so far as well.

Good to know, Tom...I'll take a look as I've heard good things about the RF1000s. How's the wind noise? I ride with plugs usually anyway, but it'd be nice to have a quiter one.

I have no compaints about wind noise with the RF1000 but I usually use earplugs too. I do think it's quieter than my old HJC.

This review says it's "subjectively one of the quietest helmet that we've tried", but that was back around 2000 when the RF1000 was first introduced. I would guess that other manufacturers have probably caught up by now.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/rf-1000/

Shoei came out with the RF1100 a while back so maybe there's some good deals on the older RF1000 out there?

Top brands like Shoei and Arai are just too expensive for me.

I'm happy with my G-Max for highway and HJC for city.

Why would you pay 500$ for a helmet that you are supposed to replace after 5 years, and that studies have proven isn't safer than the 100$ one?

Are Arai or Shoei really better, in terms of noise, design, confort etc?

Top brands like Shoei and Arai are just too expensive for me.

I'm happy with my G-Max for highway and HJC for city.

Why would you pay 500$ for a helmet that you are supposed to replace after 5 years, and that studies have proven isn't safer than the 100$ one?

Are Arai or Shoei really better, in terms of noise, design, confort etc?

Comfort is the main reason for me. Other people prefer the features of some helmets, but most of those features in the end create a more comfortable helmet as well. Things like being quieter, having a soft washable liner, better shield optics, better ventilation, and in the end the most important feature....Fit.

I have had many helmets over the years, more non-Arai then Arai. The cheaper helmets often will protect your head almost as well or even as well (sometimes not, though) but having your head comfortable makes riding more enjoyable. The Arai helmets I have owned over the years have always been the most comfortable helmets I have owned. And they last the full five years (or then some) in better shape then the cheap helmets do. I have never regretted buying an Arai, I have regretted buying other brands.

As to comparing safety of the cheap helmets to the quality helmets, go to a race track and see what they wear. Those people know they are more likely to put the helmets safety features to the test, see how many cheap helmets you see there.