intermittent V11 LeMans starting

Steve W

Ok, before I spend a lot of time on this... So I replaced the crankcase breather hose on my '02 LeMans today. Started it up - no leaks, no drama. Then shut it down after a minute or 2. Got suited up to go for a ride, turn on the key, pull in the clutch, push the starter button - and nothing. Everything lights up the way it should - but the starter ain't gettin' no juice. What? It was running 2 minutes ago and started fine!

Checked all the fuses, moved all the relays around - no change. Must be something in the interlock path?

This happened to me last year. I rode it somewhere - went to leave - no starter. A nice dude push started me, got home without drama - and the starter always worked fine afterward. Never had anything to diagnose. I guess I do now! But anyway, if anybody has any insights, I'd like to hear 'em!

Thanks,

Steve

It may be the bullet connectors under the tank since you had it off you may have disturbed something and they can be intermittent

i could be wrong, but this sounds like the *classic* bullet connecter problem to me.

try turning the bars back&forth while pushing the starter button.

good luck, stef

i could be wrong, but this sounds like the *classic* bullet connecter problem to me.

good luck, stef

Well, I'll be darned. If I turn the bars a little right of center, the starter engages. Thanks guys!

It shouldn't be a big deal but I'm reluctant to take the tank off again to fix it right now. I had a terrible time getting it back on yesterday after replacing the breather hose. It's like the tank grew 1/2" while I had it off the bike and I had to exert A LOT of pressure to get the bottom back edges of the tank over the frame. I literally worked up a sweat getting it back on. Mystified me - all I can figure is the rubber frame pucks that secure the front of the tank have become hard over time and difficult to compress. Any thoughts?

good luck, stef

Well, I'll be darned. If I turn the bars a little right of center, the starter engages. Thanks guys!

It shouldn't be a big deal but I'm reluctant to take the tank off again to fix it right now. I had a terrible time getting it back on yesterday after replacing the breather hose. It's like the tank grew 1/2" while I had it off the bike and I had to exert A LOT of pressure to get the bottom back edges of the tank over the frame. I literally worked up a sweat getting it back on. Mystified me - all I can figure is the rubber frame pucks that secure the front of the tank have become hard over time and difficult to compress. Any thoughts?

Ok - I took off the tank - sure enough, I instantly found the "bullet connectors". And, sure enough - they were barely making contact. I shoved 'em in good an far - life appears to be good. Thanks again for the help. It's a beautiful day here in Upstate NY - time to go for a ride!

Shouldnt be that hard to get back on,cable or a hose may have shifted,making it harder than normal to get it back on.ive had to fiddle with it a few times myself,but usually a few stabs and then it just falls in.If you dare to venture under there again,you will Have to some time,clean the connectors with some fine grit sandpaper,a light coat of dielectric grease and maybe a gentle crimp.it'll probably happen again.

Whereabouts are you Steve ?im in the New Paltz/Woodstock/Kingston area.was hard leavin yesterday .working in LA today and tomorrow.Stayin near Angeles Crest ,torture without a bike!Oh and I have to work!

light coat of dielectric grease

dielectric grease *doesn't* conduct electricity by definition. It has caused me a load of grief on a bike that the previous owner thought it was a good idea to put it everywhere there was a connection. Maybe vaseline?

Just sayin.. :rasta:

• 1 month later...

good luck, stef

Ok - I took off the tank - sure enough, I instantly found the "bullet connectors". And, sure enough - they were barely making contact. I shoved 'em in good an far - life appears to be good. Thanks again for the help. It's a beautiful day here in Upstate NY - time to go for a ride!

Son of a gun. This just happened to me. Thank goodness for this group and smartphones. Literally looked up the solution here while in the car park.

Tank will come off to look for those despicable bullet connectors. Where did you find the offending items, Steve?

Er, I'm not Steve, but the connectors are on the left side of the frame near the front. There are no other connectors on the bike like them. Not only do they benefit from cleaning and crimping (or tightening), but I think it helps to weather proof as well (heat shrink).

Er, I'm not Steve, but the connectors are on the left side of the frame near the front. There are no other connectors on the bike like them. Not only do they benefit from cleaning and crimping (or tightening), but I think it helps to weather proof as well (heat shrink).

Docc, you may be no Steve, or even a Kiwi Roy, but your inputs are non-the-less appreciated ... just sayin.

Gio

Docc, you may be no Steve, or even a Kiwi Roy, but your inputs are non-the-less appreciated ... just sayin.

Gio

Thought I was asking Steve W, but glad you have the answers DOCC!

Hadn't seen your reply but pulled the tank again, found the only two bullet connectors and, although they were fully 'engaged', one showed some sloppiness. Disconnected the offender, crimped the receiving end, put it all back together and everything was fine.

Visual inspection would not have been good enough. If I hadn't been given the tip to go straight to bullet connectors (terrible things) it might have taken quite some time and cursing to sort it.

Once again, great group! Many thanks.

Damn nice, that! Chjit, look at those gorgeous ker-frickin' pipes!

(told you I curse for good measure . . . :whistle: )

Just for some measure of Technical contribution: If your starter does not make a peep when you thumb the switch, yes, it is usually the nefarious bullet connectors. But the micro switch and its connections at the lever can also be problematic. Give them a good cleaning with some connector cleaner (protect the paint) and be sure you can hear a little *click* when the lever is first put in motion.