Upshift troubles

MArkS

I have an '02 V11, 22k miles (got it with 6k). Tweaked the shifting 2 years ago to remedy false neutrals on upshift, no troubles since then. Redline heavy in gearbox. Went out yesterday & several times could not upshift. Rocking the gearbox with the throttle & fussing with the shifter would restore upshift (downshift always worked). I'm going to pull the selector cover & have a look. Would welcome any suggestions. Thanks,

Mark

Assuming the shift linkage isn't binding it sounds like the notorious shift pawl spring has broken, which is probably what you already suspected. Fortunately it's not too hard to replace. Belfastguzzi has a great writeup on how to replace it in the how-to or FAQ section.

Check the shift pivot bolt FIRST thing. The shift lever will rust to the bolt and cause the shifter to stick in the down position. There is a jam nut you must loosen/remove before you remove the shift lever pivot bolt.

This is a "Technical Topic".

Yup,sounds like a pawl spring.If not, may want to check clutch plates if all easier solutions don't resolve the problem.My 20k single plate clutch was worn .

Just purchased an 03 LaMans. Mine was doing the same thing. When hot. Always downshifted fine. Upshifts seemed to find false nuetrals. The prior owner had the shifter spring replaced right before I purchased it. Carful inspection revealed that the shifter linkage was not adjusted properly. The shift lever was contacting the starter cover during upshifts, preventing a clean and complete shift. Also, the eccentric was not adjusted properly. The shift lever had free play when moving it down, but absolutely none when moving it upward. I adjusted the linkage and eccentric, and now it shifts like butter.