Bar end mirrors

rex007can

Well... I was tired of looking at my elbows when I ride and try to look behind, so I decided to try and find a set of bar end mirrors.

As this is really a test, I got a cheapo set off of ebay.

Turns out though, that they wont fit over the bar end weights on the V11 (2001 V11 sport)

The weights are too big, and they don't have enough thread that I could squeeze the mirrors between the bar's end, and the weights.

I dont thing I can really ride the Guzzi without the weights on... there's enough vibration as it is, I guess removing the weights would make it too uncomfortable.

There are generic weights available, but it doesn't look like they have the same weight as the one on the Guzzi... those are pretty heavy.

So... any of you guys figured how to install bar end mirrors on your goose?

What metal are the weights made of? Could I get a notch cut out to install the mirrors on?

Something I haven't thought of that you have?

:huh2:

The stock bar end weights are steel. You could remove them and have a section turned down at a machine shop to fit the bar end mirrors. If you try this you need to hold the bar end tight to keep it from rotating as you remove the screw in the end. It will be TIGHT.

Did you know that you can get extended versions of the stock mirrors? I have them on my LeMans. They used to be available at Buell dealers. I don't know if Harley shops can still get Buell parts. Here's the part number info that I have from 2006:

Buell part numbers for extended mirrors to fit LeMans=

N0161-2A8 (left side)

N0162-2A8 (right side)

About $20 each.

Buell part number for standard LeMans mirrors=

N0161-02A8 (left side)

N0162-02A8 (right side)

About $25 each.

Note the extra zero in the part number for the standard LeMans mirrors. If you aren't very specific with the part numbers you may get the wrong mirror. I got the extended ones because I didn't like looking at my elbows with the stockers.

If you're worried about feeling the vibration aren't you worried about how effective the mirros will be with all that vibration?

I hadn't noticed the v11 vibrating, but I ride a ktm 640.... sometimes on the 640 I can barely tell there are lights behind me ,never mind working out if they are police or ambulance lights.

If you're worried about feeling the vibration aren't you worried about how effective the mirros will be with all that vibration?

I hadn't noticed the v11 vibrating, but I ride a ktm 640.... sometimes on the 640 I can barely tell there are lights behind me ,never mind working out if they are police or ambulance lights.

Between 4k and 5k rpm, the handlebars can vibrate pretty badly.

Yes, in a way I'd be making the mirrors more blurry by putting them on the ends, but then again I still prefer a blurry picture of a car behind me to a blurry picture of my elbow... B)

The ends I have on are one piece screwed in the bars, I will stop by a machine shop tomorrow and see how much they'd charge me for the mod.

thanks for the tips.

Between 4k and 5k rpm, the handlebars can vibrate pretty badly.

Yes, in a way I'd be making the mirrors more blurry by putting them on the ends, but then again I still prefer a blurry picture of a car behind me to a blurry picture of my elbow... B)

The ends I have on are one piece screwed in the bars, I will stop by a machine shop tomorrow and see how much they'd charge me for the mod.

thanks for the tips.

Hmmm, 4600 is Rosie's sweet spot. Do you have the throttle bodies synced?

I have bar end mirrors on my bike w/no vibration........ Be sure to reinstall the weights on the ends.......e.g.I forgot to n will do that some time this year.

Done, and done.

The machine shop wasn't too expensive and did it on the spot.

So I had the turn the weights and add a groove for the mirrors at the ends.

I like it, and the plus is... they don't vibrate nearly as much as the stock mirrors!

There goes.

7269395720_48f55f5d7c_b.jpg

7269561374_f9b4d0b651_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the bar end weights and attached the bar end mirrors a couple months ago. For me there is no discernible difference in vibration, i.e., there is still very little, if any, even with the new mirrors. The reflections in the mirror are sharp and clear. FWI, I also recall that getting the bar end weights was a bit of a bear.

Those are just stellar pieces! As well as the polished intake tracts! What a really neat V11. :thumbsup:

I had taken a dimensioned drawing to my local machine shop to turn down the bar ends for fitting the CRGs. Nice work and all, but $85 US! :o

• 5 weeks later...

Saw rex007can's post and thought Hmmmm anythings gotta be better than the standard mirrors, so scanned fleabay and found pair of bar end mirrors for $11.68 delivered---bargin.

Tried fitting with bar end weights then thought try without.

Result, no vibration ,mirrors clear( i can actually see behind me now) heaps better than those standard smoked glass mirrors.

000_0065.jpg