Metzeler Z6

Gio

For over a year I've been very happy with Dunlop Q2s on the Cafe Sport:  great feel while canyon-carving.  While they're also relatively inexpensive, I got tired of replacing them every 2K miles.  For the past 1K miles or so it's been wearing Dunlop Roadsmart IIs, and, while expensive, they corner just as well as the Q2s and so far there's no obvious wear.  I know they'll last at least through the winter.

Also, I've used Michelin Pilot Road 3s on my Stelvio for nearly two years -- for me they're the best street tire for the Stelvio, with very even wear for all types of riding.  Around 8K on a front, 4 - 4.5K on a rear.  Yes, they're expensive too, but they're worth it.

I really like the last couple sets of Michelin Pilots I've had. 2ct's and 3's. I just installed a Pilot road 3 on the back and a pilot 3 sport on the front. My No#1 priority for tires on my bike is wet weather performance and I like a softer front tire. I figure I can handle the back coming out on me but losing the front is scarey. The fronts don't quite wear out when the back does but I replace them as a pair anyway. I've been getting about 6~6500 miles on the Pilots on my Ducati but don't know what I'll get on the V11 yet. BTW the front pilot 3 sport is about $40 cheaper than the pilot 3 road at Motorcycle super store.

What is funny is the Metzlers and the Pirelli's share their basic design, separated by tread patterns and perhaps small differences in compound. The Metzlers tend to last longer then the Pirelli's due to compound differences for their target markets and price.

And the Z6's I ran on my Griso were the noisiest front tire I ever had. But they worked well and lasted a long time.

It is indeed strange. Apparently the Pirelli GT's are not yet available (at least from my local dealer) so I'm wondering if I should just go for a Z6 rear if I can get one (to match the front) and then make my switch back to Pirelli as a pair. I couldn't agree more with regard to the noise - but I'm stuck with that front for now, and yes, it also seems to work well ... and at the end of the day, that's the main thing.

I would think a Pirelli rear would work ok with the Metzler front, but I much prefer to keep matched sets on my bikes and would rather take a front off with tread still left then run a mixed pair. It may be fine but crashing sucks and can be very expensive. Penny wise pound foolish comes to mind. Tires are the most important part on your motorcycle.

Plus the issue of your tire of choice not being available yet..... If you can't get the ones you want yet I would replace the rear with another Z6 and when the Pirelli's are out and you get a good deal on a set switch over.

Is it really such an issue getting matched tyres on the v11 ? My thinking is the rear weight bias and relatively mild power contributes to different demands on the tyres than a "Normal " bike ( say a 600 sports bike) . I'm currently running an angel on the front and a diablo back, ironically the back still slides just before the front, and the front s wearing much quicker. Perhaps it's my riding style ?( or lack of)

To conclude - I found a (160/60) Z6 for the rear on-line for less than $150 (incl shipping) so will become matched ... and plan to try a set of the new Angel-GT's next.

Thanks for all input.

Gio

All of my Angel STs lasted the same mileage as the previous Diablo Stradas. It will be interesting to see if the new GTs do better without being too hard (like Pilot Roads)