Nit Wit Alert

Bob Hartman

New 2002 LM to me. Dropped the pan and was relieved to find it spotless inside. During reassembly I effortlessly and unknowingly cross-threaded the magnet plug. :doh:

Bought a helicoil kit (M10 x 1.5) from NAPA, $42 with tax, instead of saving a few dollars online and waiting for shipping. The kit does not come with a drill bit; wish it did. Their online spec chart calls for a 10.5mm bit. Couldn't find one - the local BMW/Mercedes garage even said they've never seen metric bits.

I have a dozen metric bits, but none in half sizes. Then I noticed the tap in the kit has stamped on it: "13/32 drill bit". Close enough, that worked despite being slightly smaller.

The helicoil worked fine in that application; for stressier bores I'd prefer a Time-sert.

So now it's all cleaned up. Wife was thrilled to see the sump pan in the kitchen sink. When the rest of the bike is buttoned together I'll spray the cases with aerosol foot powder and the search for the test-ride oil leak will finally commence.

But, boy, I felt like one of the Wit brothers; Half, Dim and Nit.

Bob

I've always used the word "flummoxed" in my posts when I do something, er, mechanically compromised. That way I can search the word by author and find all the sideways stuff I've done over the course. :luigi:

Now, you have begun your own precious collection: Search for "nit/ author:Bob" :grin: