Seat mod

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

Couldn't stand to wait till Christmas, so I opened my new seat to have a look. I love it. Its all gel and I asked to have it lowered so I sit a good half inch closer to the tarmac. The girlfriend gets a much larger affair and has the straps where she could use them - under her own crotch instead of mine. Also, I've moved my 'seat' way up front and built in support around it. It works perfectly. Red stitching and high quality leather. Can't wait to ride it, but already it seems I've raised my bars an inch. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

seat.JPG

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure looks yummy - congratulations. Have you used a leather seat before? I'm wondering how it performs long-term in all weathers (I'm thinking about British weather). Obviously leather is used for clothing and some bicycle saddles. Once upon a time I made a leather cover that could be put on over a saddle and taken off again. It would certainly be a lovely feature to have a good leather seat. Is it an all weather proposition?

Guest Roadslayer

If you mean parking your bike in the rain for nine months out of the year,I wouldn't recommend a leather seat. I've had a leather seat on one bike for 20 years and it still looks new. Granted it's not a daily commuter but I have toured on it for weeks at a time in all kinds of weather. With some care and interest my leather seats are preferable to black plastic,especially in 100+F temperatures. If after riding for a week in a typhoon and water is sqeezing out the seems then park the bike in your lovely garage for a week or two or take the seat off and put it in your living room.And not buy the wood stove! Also leather just plain looks better doesn't it. Roadslayer.

Nemo: that seat looks fabulous. I live mere blocks from Rich's, and have been thinking of taking my Le Mans seat there for a while, to get something that fits me better. How much did that run you?

Guest dkgross

yup. looks nice. Rich always does nice stuff. He's pretty much THE guy in the pacific NW for a seat. It's nice to be able to drive up for a fitting and have it done while you wait.

then again, I'm sure as hell happy with my seat from the 'OTHER" Rich on the east coast :>)

The only thing I've discovered about the 'gel' inserts is that the do a good job of absorbing the ambient tempurature. So..when the bike has been sitting in the cold garage, it takes a LONG time for the seat to warm up :)

and, in the summertime..well..you know ;)

Guest captain nemo

Ian, I'm very impressed with their work. I went in and talked with a very friendly guy by the name of Mike. He took notes as I explained exactly what I wanted. It was nothing to him. He even showed me a chart of thread he could use. Showed me the gel. The gel takes up no space so it is an opportunity to sit much lower on the bike if you want - I wanted to - lowering the center of gravity. He said it would be totally ready in two days and the cost was $350. I haven't ridden on the gel yet, but I love the new fit. I will agree that the gel takes a while to warm up on a cool day. It fits like an old baseball mit already.

I think the Rich's in Seattle focuses most of their advertised business on automobile and marine upholstery. Although they do nice seats for motorcycles (a K75 I owned had a Rich's seat), they don't seem to make a big deal about it or advertise much in motorcycle-targeted publications.

I think I'm going to have to head down there one of these days and get myself a nice post-Xmas present.

And San Diego, too????

Let me know if you need a place to stay!

I am sure Captain Nemo, Dave G., and Ian J. will have room for you, too.

And in the San Francisco area, I am sure others have room and or motorcycles to lend.

Does Moto International rent bikes?

Keep working out and getting stronger.

You will have to ride hundreds of miles a day here.