2006 Ballabio Exhaust & ECU Question

V11boy

Hello All

First post here. Live in the UK & recently bought a 2006 V11 Ballabio which is totally standard and after a few hundred miles I need to improve the sound and the hesitation at the 2 - 3k rev mark if I can.

Looking at the forum I cant tell what the best route is to go. Its not clear in some posts what year the bikes are from, and if they are already modified/standard.

Please can you tell me if -

- Crossovers will make any difference on their own (with 02 sensor) and if it will run on the standard ECU setup

- If a power commander 3 is required, will it stop the hesitation or just assist?

If anyone has any of these parts they want to sell to fit my bike please feel free to get in touch.

Thank you

:mg:

Generally, the 2-3K rpm range isn't very good for running the bike. They are much happier above 4K. Lugging the motor sounds great, but causes unnecessary wear on the drive line.

I wasn't aware that any of the v11s had an O2 sensor....do you mean air temp sensor?

But, to start answering your Q's.

Yes, a crossover will help, mostly between 3-5K rpm where there is a slight dip in the power curve, or at the upper end above 5K rpm. Different crossovers help in different areas though. I have a Stucchi crossover (ok, had), which worked great to eliminate the dip at 4K. The Mistral apparently improves upper end power (5K +) more.

On my V11, I had changed the intakes to K&N pods, exhaust to Mistrals and the Stucchi mid pipe. I enriched the TPS setting a bit, but never added a PCIII. Although I have heard good things about them- you can have them mapped to your bike with your specific mods on a dyno- I never felt any need to do that.

So, I would say a PCIII is not required, but might be useful for your specific bike.

Welcome V11boy,

The V11s with the 02 sensors didn't make it to the states so I can't make any recommendations on how to correct your stumbling between 2-3k rpm. I agree with Jason that you shouldn't ride around at that low an rpm regularly, and I agree that an aftermarket crossover will help your midrange and higher performance. I believe the Mistral crossover is best for midrange and the Stucchi or FBF is strongest above 5k. Here's Greg Fields crossover thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11564&hl=crossover&st=0

You might want to confirm that your bike is tuned correctly before you start changing parts. When was the last time the valves were adjusted, throttle bodies were sync'ed, and TPS was checked?

Different crossovers help in different areas though. I have a Stucchi crossover (ok, had), which worked great to eliminate the dip at 4K. The Mistral apparently improves upper end power (5K +) more.

Uh, I think you've got that backwards: the Mistral, being almost completely a phonic x-over, doesn't share muffler volumes so at high rpm/exhaust output, it's more choked than the Stucchi, which is a true x-over in the sense that both headers are joined & then split out again to the mufflers.

Anecdotally, the Mistral fills in the hole better in the roll-on from low rpm [& will also allow fitment of the aftermarket ctr.-stand], while the Stucchi posts higher power peaks on the dyno charts & also functions better than the stock x-over down low [but no hope for a ctr.-stand w/ the Stucchi.]

BTW, for the original poster: you sure about that year on your Billybob? AFAICR, all V11 production ended 2004: 2005+ models were leftovers since the factory was in limbo during the Piaggio takeover of Aprillia in that time frame... :nerd:

Different crossovers help in different areas though. I have a Stucchi crossover (ok, had), which worked great to eliminate the dip at 4K. The Mistral apparently improves upper end power (5K +) more.

Uh, I think you've got that backwards: the Mistral, being almost completely a phonic x-over, doesn't share muffler volumes so at high rpm/exhaust output, it's more choked than the Stucchi, which is a true x-over in the sense that both headers are joined & then split out again to the mufflers.

Anecdotally, the Mistral fills in the hole better in the roll-on from low rpm [& will also allow fitment of the aftermarket ctr.-stand], while the Stucchi posts higher power peaks on the dyno charts & also functions better than the stock x-over down low [but no hope for a ctr.-stand w/ the Stucchi.]

BTW, for the original poster: you sure about that year on your Billybob? AFAICR, all V11 production ended 2004: 2005+ models were leftovers since the factory was in limbo during the Piaggio takeover of Aprillia in that time frame... :nerd:

Thanks for all your answers, so far the Stucchi looks like the best option for sound but not sure if I want the bottom end to remain weak (if you can call it weak!)

JRT

In contact with dynojet here in the UK, will weigh up the cost of the PC3 once I have felt the difference the mods make with the standard ECU setup

Tom

Your spot on there, as far as I know the TPS hasn't been adjusted, throttle bodies sync'd or the valve clearances so I will get this done prior to modifying the exhaust/anything else.

Skeeve

Bike was registered here in 2006, so it will have been produced in 2004 by the sounds of it - how can I tell?

Thanks again

The VIN should be 17 characters with the 10th character ( this is true in automobiles) designating the year of manufacture. I think the 2000 model vehicles will have a 0 in this slot. A 2001 will have a 1, etc. This has been true for the 1st decade of 2000. You could Google VIN decoding to verify this .

The VIN should be 17 characters with the 10th character ( this is true in automobiles) designating the year of manufacture. I think the 2000 model vehicles will have a 0 in this slot. A 2001 will have a 1, etc. This has been true for the 1st decade of 2000. You could Google VIN decoding to verify this .

It's a 2004 model then

Your spot on there, as far as I know the TPS hasn't been adjusted, throttle bodies sync'd or the valve clearances so I will get this done prior to modifying the exhaust/anything else.

I'm thinking you'll be very pleased after this is done and fresh spark plugs. She'll be like a date with a dozen roses! :sun:

Thanks for all your answers, so far the Stucchi looks like the best option for sound but not sure if I want the bottom end to remain weak (if you can call it weak!)

Don't miscontrue my meaning: the Stucchi will change the top end output vs. the stock pre-muffler [not a true x-over: it's a comparatively HUGE volume, = to about 1/2 of one of the mufflers] more than the Mistral. The "hole" btw 3.5-5k rpm w/ the stock pre-muffler will be filled in slightly w/ the Stucchi, & more so with the Mistral, from all anecdotal evidence and dyno reports filed here on V11LM & elsewhere over the years. To get maximum benefits from any of them [stock, Stucchi or Mistral] you'll need to adjust the fuel map via one of several means: the noise & pollution tests for various countries are typically performed at idle & a set speed [35mph or kph equivalent?] in 3rd? gear; that's why the stock fuel/air map is too lean in a particular band off idle [combination of f/x from airbox muffling, restrictive stock exhausts, fueling, etc etc etc.] Change any part of the equation [air filter, airbox lid mod, x-over, etc] and it forces changes to the fuel map to derive passably correct, let alone optimum, performance!

Me, I'd have the Stucchi already if it wasn't for:

#1: I'm chronically broke, & have been for the past few years. :(

#2: I'm interested in "rolling my own" [tinkerer] to some way utilize the proven f/x of Yamaha's EXUP system. :luigi:

#3: I'm focusing on solving repair/maintenance issues for my present cage crisis over bikes. ;)

OTOH, if I was using a V11 as a daily commuter in traffic, I'd opt for the Mistral, since it maximizes midrange ["roll on" flexibility] over all else, and the ability to mount a ctr-stand would then also be of significant importance for parking adaptability.

:2c: