Serious ECU error message: !SERVICE

belfastguzzi

Any experience of this serious error (ECU) message and any ideas on getting rid of it? Or have I got expensive trouble?

1200 8V (Griso)

I don't need to go into details of the intermittent non-start issue as it's been much reported: but could it have a connection to the serious error (ECU) warning appearing at bottom of dash display?

The dash is displaying the '! SERVICE' warning, which means a serious fault and I think an ECU related problem. The diagnostics code shows an ECU 56 fault, which is a 'Vehicle Speed' error, whatever that means. The appearance of this error may be coincidental or could it be related to the non-start problem? Anyone got any experience, ideas?

I have disconnected power to ECU, but the fault message keeps showing when powered up again. Apart from connecting to Axone or any other mythical diagnostic device, what can I do about this error? I have spent all day stripping, checking all sorts of things. Bike is now starting and not blowing fuse (yesterday it was not starting) but the serious error display persists.

David? Sounds like the speedo sensor. Have you ridden in the rain a lot recently or given it a heavy duty washing??

Pete

Hi Pete, great to hear from you: I thought you'd disappeared, but then I haven't been posting much either, nor checking other places where you might be active.

As you can see I'm in a further period of disenchantment. This bike has been off the road more than on it and I don't know where to turn for help. Ive done everything i can to look after it and fix the 'official' bodges and failures. I'll strip the thing down if needs be, but the problem of dealing with the computerised electronics creates a brick wall.

The error code points to the speedo sensor, but the speedo has been working fine, including all the way back home from my break-down on Friday (I'll leave it to your interpretation as to whether that means my breakdown or the bike's, or both). I wonder if the logged error code is from a past incident. As I understand it, the ECU errors remain logged, they aren't cleared in the way that the dash display errors are cleared? So that 56 code may not be connected with the serious error alert that is permanently appearing at the bottom of the dash display. However there is no other error code showing in the on-board readout, just the 56.

If the ECU was damaged, would you expect there to be a subsequent error code showing? In addition to the ECU, mounted out front, where is the separate control unit located? Is it by the alternator? I don't see it, so far.

Sorry to bombard, but... another question: what is involved in changing or adjusting the neutral sensor/switch? I think that you did change the neutral switch on a 1200 Griso? I can't get at it without removing the air box and that means disconnecting and removing various other things as well. Is the switch height adjustable? All I can see is a white terminal post, I can't see whether there is a nut or any form of screw adjustment.

D

Hi Jaap. That's great, please thank people there for giving replys so far. It's much appreciated. I'm not sure if I can post on there directly.

D

Hi Pete, great to hear from you: I thought you'd disappeared, but then I haven't been posting much either, nor checking other places where you might be active.

As you can see I'm in a further period of disenchantment. This bike has been off the road more than on it and I don't know where to turn for help. Ive done everything i can to look after it and fix the 'official' bodges and failures. I'll strip the thing down if needs be, but the problem of dealing with the computerised electronics creates a brick wall.

The error code points to the speedo sensor, but the speedo has been working fine, including all the way back home from my break-down on Friday (I'll leave it to your interpretation as to whether that means my breakdown or the bike's, or both). I wonder if the logged error code is from a past incident. As I understand it, the ECU errors remain logged, they aren't cleared in the way that the dash display errors are cleared? So that 56 code may not be connected with the serious error alert that is permanently appearing at the bottom of the dash display. However there is no other error code showing in the on-board readout, just the 56.

If the ECU was damaged, would you expect there to be a subsequent error code showing? In addition to the ECU, mounted out front, where is the separate control unit located? Is it by the alternator? I don't see it, so far.

Sorry to bombard, but... another question: what is involved in changing or adjusting the neutral sensor/switch? I think that you did change the neutral switch on a 1200 Griso? I can't get at it without removing the air box and that means disconnecting and removing various other things as well. Is the switch height adjustable? All I can see is a white terminal post, I can't see whether there is a nut or any form of screw adjustment.

D

There is no other control unit, there is the ecu and the dash has a computer inside.

It looks like two seprerate faults, solve each of them. When the speedo sensor has watter in it, the speed display stops, and you get the nasty service error in the display. On the otehr hand when the sensor starts working again, the service will go away after some time.

With Ducatidiag you can reset the error's yourself.

There is no other control unit, there is the ecu and the dash has a computer inside.It looks like two seprerate faults, solve each of them. When the speedo sensor has watter in it, the speed display stops, and you get the nasty service error in the display. On the otehr hand when the sensor starts working again, the service will go away after some time. With Ducatidiag you can reset the error's yourself.

Thanks Paul.The serious error (ECU) warning that is permanently displayed.

7672750688_bd29d4b6c1.jpg

Before seeing your reply I was going to post:–

'I'm now wondering if this may not necessarily mean that there is still a fault: perhaps this message can only be cleared via the official service diagnostics equipment (Axone, Navigator)?'

However I see you say the message will go away by itself, after some time. That is good news as it gives hope that when I put the bike back together and ride it, the display may clear (if there is no longer a fault). I like the sound of Ducatidiag: I will have to look into that. Does it need Windows to run?I don't believe that there is any problem with the speed sensor. I think that the ECU code 56 (vehicle speed) is logged from some older incident. The sensor wiring looks ok and continuity is ok, plus the display was showing the speed ok. I haven't had a problem with the speed readout at any time and I did seal the sensor a couple of years ago. I think that these particular error logs do not clear and diagnostics equipment is needed to reset them?

I could not understand about there being a second control unit, in addition to the ECU. I thought that I read about it somewhere (in the Service Manual) but now I don't know where. I am glad you confirm it does not exist!

In order to run ducatidiag (which, happily is free- or more precisely donation-ware), you'll just need to download the software, get a connector (not sure which ends you'll need, so I can't help there) and post a screenshot of your ECU config.

My French is awful, so I can't help much, but start here:

http://ducatidiag.xooit.com/index.php

And do a google search on where to download the software.

Good luck!

there is an introduction to ducatidiag here: http://ducatidiag.xooit.com/t1037-Basic-Instructions-by-a-new-user-for-new-users.htm Dowload link in there too. You need to register on th forum first. English speeking people enough there. Needs a windows, get an old xp laptop, plain xp nothing else will do best. Or windows 2000. Can work with win vista/7 but gives sometimes troubles.

Paul you were right: the !SERVICE ECU error alert disappeared when I got the bike on the road again. Hooray!

Also no error codes are showing now. The 56 ECU error has gone and and a (less important) dash error is not reappearing.

I now have my problems sorted (apart from the neutral sensor) I hope, though as the non-start problem was intermittent I will need some time to be sure. Interesting findings and I know what was causing that 56 code and the blowing fuses. I'll report back in a while.

Thanks for the advice.

Some answers in English on the Dutch forum: http://www.mgcn.nl/f...showtopic=15620

Hi Jaap, would you post this for me on the Dutch Forum please?

>

-----------------------------------------------------

Re: Op V11lemans.com heeft David Boyd uit Belfast het volgende probleem. Aangezien er geen goede dealers in zijn buurt zijn heeft ie de vraag online gesteld.

Hello friends

thanks to Jaap for posting my query and I want to thank you for taking time to give responses.

To let you know what has happened:

I went through all the wiring, checked connectors etc and I added a direct feed from the battery to the start relay. I found an intermittent fault and fixed it.

• The ECU error warning stayed on the display, even after working on the bike and putting it back together.

• However it went away once the bike was moving on the road. The 56 error code also went away.

That is a relief!

The wiring fault that I found, was in the rear left indicator light. The wire was broken at the spade connector, but must have been touching enough to keep the connection good most of the time. I have been bothered for a long time by the indicator fault icon and the red triangle light appearing intermittently in the dash display, but I did not believe what it said and thought there must be another strange problem, maybe in the display unit itself (the display has the bad condensation issue). I did not believe the warning was due to the indicator lamp unit, because the indicator bulb always worked when I switched it on. I have never once had the indicator bulb not work during the long time when the warning has been appearing, so I thought obviously it is ok. Now I know that I should believe the ECU!

The wiring problem suddenly become worse at the start of my recent holiday trip when I was on the way to meet with other Guzzis in the South of Ireland. The wire must have moved, shorted and for the first time a fuse blew. This coincided with the bike stalling and not restarting when I stopped at a motorway toll booth. Because I have also had the bad 'non-start' problem (push the start button and nothing happens) I immediately assumed that was what was happening again. I certainly did not think of the indicator. Eventually I started the bike by putting a wire from the battery directly to the starter solenoid and I returned home without stopping. After 2 days checking through everything, at last I looked in the rear indicator unit – and found the broken connection! That is why the fuse kept blowing after the toll-booth incident and that must be the reason that the bike would not start. It also must be the reason for the serious ECU error message and 'might' possibly also be what caused the 56 code alert.

So remember: the ECU knows best!

Thank you again for your advice and interest.

Best wishes from Belfast.