OIl Light On Until 2,500 RPM

dagersh

Hi Guys,

I just changed oil and filters on my '03 Rosso Corsa. Everything went smooth, the bike is holding its oil, and the level is perfect read with the dip stick screwed in and the bike is vertical on my work stand. Filter is a UFI, and is nice and tight. Oil is Rotella T 15-40.

My oil light is on until 2,500 RPM any higher and all is well....

Did I muck something up?

Gersh

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old oil filter gasket definitely came off with the old oil filter?

Docc thank you

I read this after just getting back from the garage after changing the oil.Made me get ta thinkin',as y'all tend to say.I went back to finish up some work and low and behold the old filter has lost it's o-ring.I'll bet the pink slip it's in the sump. :thumbsup:

Thank ya, thank ya, thank ya,... :bier:

Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses!

Have not been running the engine other than to confirm the RPM where the light comes on/goes off, and even then did not let the bike warm up.

I will check the old filter - still draining on my pan - so that should be easy enough. The new filter is defintely well beyond hand tight, I used the UFI Specific Filter Wrench with no problems, and I greased up the new seal and threads with clean oil.

I will update when I get back to the garage.

Thanks again!!!!!

Gersh

Ok,

Took a look at the old filter, it looks like the gasket is still on the bike. I am draining the sump now, and will pull the new filter and make sure that the old filter gasket is not still in there.

Thanks again for everyone's responses!

I will update after its all back together and running!

Gersh

Alright... I have no idea where the old gasket is. Its not in my drain pan, not in the oil pan, and not on the gasket surface. Weird.

I checked the gasket mating surfaceon the bike, nice shiney and clean. I then reinstalled the oil filter and made it very tight using the UFI specific wrench. I am going to put her back together and refill her with oil and see what happens.

Wish me luck!

Gersh

Whew - found the old gasket! My fishing expeditions in the drain pain did not reveal it, but as I was pouring the oil back into the conatainer - through a filter for good measure - there it was.

OK - now to fill her up and see what is to see...

Gersh

Whew - found the old gasket! My fishing expeditions in the drain pain did not reveal it, but as I was pouring the oil back into the conatainer - through a filter for good measure - there it was.

OK - now to fill her up and see what is to see...

Gersh

Success!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Gersh

You could as well put it back into the sump again, and two more if you like. What was the reason for the retarded oil light? Have you found it, too?

Hubert

Luhbo,

I accidentally left the old gasket in place when I removed the old filter. Did not realize it, so the new filter had double gaskets. At 2500 RPM, the pump was strong enough to push enough oil to satify the oil light sensor.

Problem solved, just took her for a run, and all is well!

Gersh

Found mine stuck to new filter,what timing.

Id rather be lucky than good.

MZ - YOu in NYC?

Yup,bikes I leave up near New Paltz/Woodstock