04 V11sport loses power and starts misfiring at trailing part throttle

CzDavec

Dave Im outa town for a week but if you need a test ECU I can send you my 'Race' ECU if you havent found one by them.Anyone who's changed over to the Ti's and Race ECU should have a stock one,so maybe someone will chime in.Mine ran better with the stock one so I left it in.

Thanks, If I can't get her sorted, I will be up to trying that. It would definately let me know if the ECU is faulty or not.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. interesting ride home yesterday. I pulled the cyl. head temp sensor and ziptied it away from the engine . Bike ran fine on the way home. I ran some backroads, a 5 mile blast on the freeway ,then onto some surface streets with redlights and traffic. No popping and spitting,no loss of power and it remained idleing.

So, I am going to Ohm out the sensor this morning and again before I head home tonight and note the readings. I will also do a plug check although the bike doesn't appear to be running to rich.If it stays running good, I will take it for a longer ride up into the mntn's and see what happens.

If the sensor is working correctly,would it be safe to assume that the problem lies with the fuel map in the ECU? I don't like running it with the sensor removed as it would be treating the symptom and not the cause.

Well. interesting ride home yesterday. I pulled the cyl. head temp sensor and ziptied it away from the engine . Bike ran fine on the way home. I ran some backroads, a 5 mile blast on the freeway ,then onto some surface streets with redlights and traffic. No popping and spitting,no loss of power and it remained idleing.

So, I am going to Ohm out the sensor this morning and again before I head home tonight and note the readings. I will also do a plug check although the bike doesn't appear to be running to rich.If it stays running good, I will take it for a longer ride up into the mntn's and see what happens.

If the sensor is working correctly,would it be safe to assume that the problem lies with the fuel map in the ECU? I don't like running it with the sensor removed as it would be treating the symptom and not the cause.

I would think the sensor is bad not the map.. try substituting another sensor.

As Brad says, it could very well be the sensor. Actually, the guy to take a troubleshooting problem to in SoCal is Sean Fader. (RTL Moto in Costa Mesa). He used to work for Mark at MGC, and is *the* man for F.I. Mark is a great guy, but when Sean left, so did the ability to work on the electronic stuff. There's nobody better with the old bikes than Mark, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to wrap up this thread. Finally gave up and took the bike to Todd @ Guzzitech.The ecu map was way off, both in timing and fueling. After Todd reflashed the ecu , the bike now runs great. No more popping and missing,will roll through town at around 2500rpm without acting up and doesn't quit at idle. Also the mid range torque and throttle response are greatly improved. I gave it a 300 mile run out here up through the mountains,out through the desert and back home via route 66 and it ran great. The bike is now a joy to ride. Thanks to all of you who took the time to help me out with this.

Dave

Just wanted to wrap up this thread. Finally gave up and took the bike to Todd @ Guzzitech.The ecu map was way off, both in timing and fueling. After Todd reflashed the ecu , the bike now runs great. No more popping and missing,will roll through town at around 2500rpm without acting up and doesn't quit at idle. Also the mid range torque and throttle response are greatly improved. I gave it a 300 mile run out here up through the mountains,out through the desert and back home via route 66 and it ran great. The bike is now a joy to ride. Thanks to all of you who took the time to help me out with this.

Dave

how does the ECU map go off? I thought once you have the right flah, you're good to go.

how does the ECU map go off? I thought once you have the right flah, you're good to go.

Perhaps changes to the exhaust or intake TPS in a different position.

You are correct though, it should never move.

CzDavec

Thanks for getting back with the good news

Now your bike is running great we need a picture :race:

Dave

Dave, thanks for letting us know. I have the exact same problem so I guess I need that same fix. I've been emailing Todd for a couple weeks now to get the ball rolling.

... how does the ECU map go off? I thought once you have the right flah, you're good to go.

Once a friend sent me an ECU that seemed to show symptoms of Alzheimer, in fact it more and more forgot whole areas of its map. In the end it only remembered one or two cells near WOT, the rest was gone. Finally it was the CPU that had gone south, nothing you could reset with a simple reflash.

On the other hand selling all the options a shop has to its believing followers is good practice in the Guzzi business. Guzzi is a myth, coming near the Guzzi gods lets happen mystic things. That's common sense - and well paid.

Hubert

Dave

Dave, thanks for letting us know. I have the exact same problem so I guess I need that same fix. I've been emailing Todd for a couple weeks now to get the ball rolling.

All bikes are different.No two are/run exactly the same. The 15m ecu isn't an adaptive computer like the ones in the newer cars,it doesn't learn and adjust itself.It is basically an electronic version of jets in a carb. It can only run what has been programed into it.The problem lies in the fact that unlike a carb where you can change the jets to correct poor running, with the 15m ,you can't change it without having the software and hardware needed to work on it.

So back to no two bikes being alike. I have ridden and been racing motorcycles since the early 70's. I also restore and race vintage race bikes. I have built two identical machines,side by side,with the same parts etc. One runs a 450 main jet,with a 42 pilot,and a 6df6 needle, the other bike runs a 420 main,38 pilot and a 6dj6 needle, for top performance. Both will run with the other's carb but neither will perform at its best.

Its the same with our Guzzi's, most fall into the "normal" range and the factory tuning works. However when you get one that falls on the far ends of the "normal" range,running issues crop up. Thats where the re tuning comes into play. To give you the best performance from your particular bike.My bike was on the far end of the "normal" range and so would only run right under certain conditions.

Dave

The map didn't "go off" it was probably never right for my bike from the factory. Which would account for the really low miles on the bike , it probably never ran good from new and whoever bought just let it sit . Check out my reply to The Bronze , it might clear up what I meant by that.