RM shifting question

motowarren

When I go to downshift sometimes it seems like the trans can't decide whether it wants to shift or not. Sometimes it just finds a false neutral and sometimes it goes down a gear but with a very slow meshing sound and finally finds the gear. This is obviously very disconcerting when running fast over back roads when you need it to be precise to go through a pretty fast turn. Does this have anything to do with the park pawl/spring or is it something else?

How many miles on it? Do you know if the friction plates have ever been replaced?

What you can check on the outside,

Linkage working and not touching the porkchop on the down shift and sub frame on the upshift.

Put bike on rear stand,put in gear and pull clutch while turning rear wheel.Wheel should move freely.I have long arms but if you dont get a friend to help you.

If those are OK,you'll have to look at the pre=selector assembly.Not a big deal,shouldnt take that long.Disconnect battery,free shock remote,disconnect leads to starter,remove starter,shift linkage,11 screws on the cover and she's off.

The bike has 43k miles on it. The fluid is at the level it should be but I have no idea what brand/weight fluid is in it. The bike has Motobits foot controls and nothing is binding. As far as the clutch dragging I'll have to wait for a friend to help me check that. The clutch does seem inconsistent sometimes as to the speed in which it engages, Seems like slow hydraulics. As for inside the box I have no idea what it looks like or what I should be looking for when I get in there. I plan on doing that in the next month or so and doing the recontouring of where the spring rest but I'm not sure what else to do in there.

With those symptoms and mileage ,it could be the friction plates.Try all the exterior stuff,flush/ bleed clutch fluid and see what you get.No fluid in the clutch housing? Pull timing hole cover and look inside with a flashlight there should be no fluid in there

• 3 weeks later...

Well I fixed my shifting problem today. simply changed the oil to the Red Line heavy shock proof oil. I have never had a lubricant of any sort make that much difference in anything. I just got back from a 200 mile ride. All back roads with about 50 miles of long sweepers and 35 miles of intense mountain twistys and I didn't miss one shift. It felt like a new gearbox. So I'm satisfied with that problem being fixed...at least for now. Now the only thing left to fix is the gas mileage problem. That will have to wait for a while 'til I get some funds together for "My ECU" so I can run a closed loop system. The 200 mile ride was great. 74 degree beautiful sunny day and the leaves here in PA are at their peak fall colors and the Guzzi ran great and I felt as one with the bike. The more I ride this thing the better I like it.

It's amazing that new oil can make such a difference. What's the explanation for that? :unsure:

No idea Roy - but Shockproof heavy seems to make a difference in the way our boxes work. I'm a believer ... in fact I'm trying to source some here on the east coast (to no avail) in preparation for some winter service work ( I change it every 20k even though I'm told it should not be necessary to) ..?

Gio

It's amazing that new oil can make such a difference. What's the explanation for that? :unsure:

No idea Roy - but Shockproof heavy seems to make a difference in the way our boxes work. I'm a believer ... in fact I'm trying to source some here on the east coast (to no avail) in preparation for some winter service work ( I change it every 20k even though I'm told it should not be necessary to) ..?

Gio

The Red line oils are used a lot in road racing of cars. You can try sources such as Pegasus racing and others for it.

Gio

The Red line oils are used a lot in road racing of cars. You can try sources such as Pegasus racing and others for it.

Thanks Dave - but I'm on the east coast of Canada and can not find ANY dealers ..? Might have to ask Kiwi Roy to post me a bottle from the west coast (available from Mopac ... what do you say Roy?) or just order on-line.

Gio