tank filler blockage

dangerous

Hey so, when I wash the bike I get a build up of water under the cap to the point it will enter with the petrol, when on the side stand there is a hole on the lower side but it seems blocked, the smaller hole at the back of the filler breaths ok and is attached to the pipe under the tank. There are two nipples under the tak=nk as I said the right side breaths but the left does not and has never had a pipe on it... I have to assume one must be a over fill drain and proberly the larger under the cap... is it blocked?

DSC03855.JPG

The one larger one lower in the your picture should be the drain that should be drain water from around the cap. It sounds like it is clogged. The other vent as I recall vent the inside of the tank through the cap. When the cap is closed it has a port that lines up with the the other hole and it vents through the middle of the cap around and down to that port, the upper of the ports in your picture.

I would first try blowing compressed air through them and if that does not work a thin piece of wire to poke it out. Cover the hole into the tank to prevent debris from failing in during this (Thanks captain obvious!).

The one larger one lower in the your picture should be the drain that should be drain water from around the cap. It sounds like it is clogged. The other vent as I recall vent the inside of the tank through the cap. When the cap is closed it has a port that lines up with the the other hole and it vents through the middle of the cap around and down to that port, the upper of the ports in your picture.

I would first try blowing compressed air through them and if that does not work a thin piece of wire to poke it out. Cover the hole into the tank to prevent debris from failing in during this (Thanks captain obvious!).

Yes right you are with the cap vent port, so my drain is blocked but I need to know where the other end of it is so as I can back flush it? as above there is two exit ports as you might call them center under the tank, the right one having a hose on it which I think is the breather... can I assume the other is my drain? and is there the chance the pipe is on the wrong nippily port thing?

you all forget bout me?

Ok finely got 30mins to myself so peeled the tank off again, and to answer my own question cos none of you lot did... the right nipple under the tank is the vent and the left is the drain... I have allways had the hose on the vent which I think is wrong it should be on the drain nipple... however I found the drain nipple to be blocked with all kinds a light gunk, screwed it out and ran a drill bit with my fingers through it, Ill check it drains next wet ride or next bath.

Sorry, I thought I had said which was which.

Normally you are supposed to have a hose on each. If you are only going to have a hose on one I think I would have a hose on the tank vent as it is more likely to have gas coming out of it. But gas can come out of either and if gas spills onto a hot engine there is always a chance of bad things. So you decide. Hose is cheap. You could even T the two together and then run the hose down to safety.

You can use compressed air, either from a compressor or even air from a can like we use with PC's, to blow through the drain and confirm that it is not blocked.

I "Y" mine together close to the tank. They are alittle fiddly to get on, but either one could spew fuel. The drain certainly catches any overflow from a fill-up.

Sorry, I thought I had said which was which.

Normally you are supposed to have a hose on each. If you are only going to have a hose on one I think I would have a hose on the tank vent as it is more likely to have gas coming out of it. But gas can come out of either and if gas spills onto a hot engine there is always a chance of bad things. So you decide. Hose is cheap. You could even T the two together and then run the hose down to safety.

You can use compressed air, either from a compressor or even air from a can like we use with PC's, to blow through the drain and confirm that it is not blocked.

yeah at the top it was the exit I was unsure off.

I;m guessing the pissed Iti that asembled my bike forgot about one line...

I would have thought fuel out of the breather is rear, I mean its for air to get in so petrol can get out... but ya right best to have both piped down.

I "Y" mine together close to the tank. They are alittle fiddly to get on, but either one could spew fuel. The drain certainly catches any overflow from a fill-up.

mint idea, I will look into that nice n simple... just need to figger out where to get a Y

on another toplc... Im subscribed to this thread but I dont get emails? used to with the old look of v11.com whatdo I need to do? ahhh shit best start another thread DOH

Y, T, either one. T fittings are cheap and common. Y fittings are probably as well. Either way will result in the same outcome. It doesn't matter.

Once the cap is closed the drain one lower in your pic is closed off from the tank and does nothing as far as fuel goes. The gasket around the tank opening would have to fail to allow fuel there AFTER the cap is closed. Mostly that is for water when it rains and fuel spillage when filling up.

I used the "Y" because it required less hose and provided simpler routing (it's tight under there!)

Dangerous, on the thread sunscription, go to Muthaof all Forums and post on the Forum Update thread. Paul and Jaap are both working through the refinements and observations. :thumbsup:

I checked my tank today and it seems to be clogged also. I removed the tank and emptied it. I took the nipples and hoses off the bottum of the tank and they are clear but there still is a restriction in the tank. Is there any kind of one way valve or reducer valve in there? If not I should be able to go down through there with mechanics wire and clean it out right? How unrestricted should it be? I would have thought that water should run through it pretty easy. Is there any convoluted angles in there that could restrict it? TIA